NET CALORIES

Options
I try to keep my intake to about 1200 because that's my caloric goal but then I do exercise and I usually burn up to 400 calories. So that makes my net calories about 800, do I still need to bring my net calories up to 1200 so my metabolism doesn't slow down??

Replies

• Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • Baileys83
    Baileys83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You can expect a few different answers to this one - we all have our own opinions I'm afraid, no set answer
  • GypsyRose25
    GypsyRose25 Posts: 407
    Options
    If your body feels like it needs more food, then yes. If not, no. If in a few weeks you see no results, then yes. It all depends on your body.
  • carpediem3
    carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    That's what some will say and swear by, but honestly I don't eat ALL of my exercise calories. I sometimes have a hard time eating my 1200 calories, so if I burn 300-700 calories it would be near impossible for me to eat that much more. Today I burned 700+, and ate 1300ish. My NET was only 659 and I'm so done eating for the day..

Look for several answers to this... :)
  • nothankscake
    Options
    When i exercise a lot i feel much less hungry, so going over my initial goal is like torture, I'll feel sick. and yet if i have a day of noo exercise i'd go over my goal by a lottt way too easily. So I'm sort of at a loss...plus it's hard for me to find healthy but not very filling yet caloric foods. I'm pescatarian and fish is light..so I can't turn to meat...and I dont' want to go over my fat limit eating lots of cheese, plus I try not to have too much dairy. I used to be vegan and I still avoid having lots of animal products when I can.

Are protein shakes super filling or no? If so I will turn to them.
  • jchester71
    jchester71 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    No the don't eat enough calories and then your metabolic rate drop theories (and they are theories, it is virtually impossible to find a study that has hard data) are based on a sedentary lifestyle. Cardio and strength training both boost your metabolic rate. There is nothing wrong with eating the calories if that is what your body tells you to, but don't feel like you have to.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    This all depends on your body. For some people, you need to net higher, for others, that would be fine. Personally, I net lower like that and I lose weight. I feel healthy, I've been doing strength training and getting my protein in, and I eat when I am hungry. I also eat pretty clean, so I can eat loads of fruit and veggies. If your body tells you more, than okay! If you are seeing healthy results with a lower net cal, that's okay too.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    The only days my net calories are 1200, are the days I don't exercise. I see no need to eat, just to eat. It hasn't hurt me and Im close to my goal. To each their own!