should I eat exercise calories?

Options
I am eating right at my calories each day, but am not eating my exercise calories. I am losing right at a pound per week. My question is should I be eating my exercise calories? Just curious as to whether this might actually increase my weight loss. What have you found to work? BTW, I usually am not hungry and feel satisfied at my current calorie intake, but could eat more and I don't think I would be over full.

Replies

• Melissajojo3
    Melissajojo3 Posts: 100
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise calories and even so my daily intake should be 1500, and I still stay under and eat about 1200 daily, I don't think eating your exercise calories should make u lose mroe weight, I mean its all up to you if your hungry or not. I eat my 1200 daily and burn 500 calories a day, I still lose about 1.9 lbs a week.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    This site has a clear and concise answer: http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/

:bigsmile:
  • pyroxian
    pyroxian Posts: 99
    Options
    This site has a clear and concise answer: http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/

Damn. Beat me to it.
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options

haha love it!!.....make sure your NET is at least 1200.....but everyone is different so play with it and see what happens.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I do, and this is the first and only time I've succeeded at a weight loss attempt. Every other time, I ate too little, got fed up with the slow progress, felt tired and burnt out, and quit. I've never once felt deprived, and I've continued to eat food that I love, like pizza.
  • WhomII
    WhomII Posts: 24
    Options
    I'll have to go check out that site.....in the meantime, I will eat your exercise calories for you. I am ALWAYS hungry.
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Yes. And yes, you will lose more weight.

(Read the links given at the website above if you want to know why...)
  • Rompa_87
    Rompa_87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    That is a clear link killagb

Short answer is definitely yes. You are aiming for a net calorie intake each day. If you exercise on top of that you have to offset your exercise by eating more. Let's say for example you don't get in the habit of eating back your exercise calories and eventually get super fit where you can burn 1000-2000 calories a day. If you didn't eat them back you would basically have consumed a net 0 or negative calories...really awful for you
  • Shalimarmandy
    Shalimarmandy Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I think its an individual choice.... I do NOT eat the extra calories unless there is something special going on like dinner out with the girls but then I have A LOT of weight to lose. I know once the weight loss slows down I will have to make a change until then I'm not eating exercise calories!
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I do.. Like Lorina said, I tried this weight loss thing before and ate wayy too little and felt like crap AND gained.. Now I eat anywhere from 1500-1800 each day and feel satisfied and not deprived.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I do, and this is the first and only time I've succeeded at a weight loss attempt. Every other time, I ate too little, got fed up with the slow progress, felt tired and burnt out, and quit. I've never once felt deprived, and I've continued to eat food that I love, like pizza.

Agreed.

If you don't eat them you are creating a much larger calorie deficit each day. Depending on your body this might work OK for you or it might just mean that you aren't getting sufficient calories to function well, stay healthy and keep losing weight.
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Getting_Fit_4_Life Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ahnpe
    ahnpe Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    That is a clear link killagb

Short answer is definitely yes. You are aiming for a net calorie intake each day. If you exercise on top of that you have to offset your exercise by eating more. Let's say for example you don't get in the habit of eating back your exercise calories and eventually get super fit where you can burn 1000-2000 calories a day. If you didn't eat them back you would basically have consumed a net 0 or negative calories...really awful for you

Agreed. Calories = energy. The reason we gain fat is because we consume too many calories and our bodies take what they need and store the rest in your body fat cells. The body needs around1200 calories/day to perform it's major functions. When you exercise, you burn calories. If you don't eat those exercise calories, it's almost pointless to exercise in the first place.