Samsung Galaxy S8... ARRRGHH!

Options
Derf_Smeggle
Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
edited June 2017 in Chit-Chat
Ahh Samsung. Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be. Apparently, the S8 curved screen and the screen protector aren't exactly matching up well.

Picked up the new phone a little more than a week ago. Color my unimpressed. This phone is busting my balls with the autocorrect.

i (seriously?) get random spaces, (<-like this double space) weird autocorrects (it only took 3 tries to get to "weird"), and general functionality irritations (central functionality iterations the 1st go).

Rumor has it that the screen protector eventually settles unto the screen better. Until then jabbing b5 darling googled dann phone... *sigh*

Replies

• beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    :'(
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Options
    :'(
    more :#

Ahh well. I'm turning into my dad. "New fangled gew-gahs! Where's my trusty cordless phone? I remember when cell phones were proper bricks, and counted as a self defense weapons..."
  • summerresolution
    summerresolution Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I've never been a fan of Samsung. If you like Android, go pure. I love my Pixel.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Download Google Keyboard. Autocorrect stupidness will be much less.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Options
    I've been considering that. Samsung's stock board is significantly different in the symbols and shortcuts than Swype, which is what I've used on my last two phones.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Options
    I've never been a fan of Samsung. If you like Android, go pure. I love my Pixel.
    Business phone. Can't root it.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Options
    I was just about to make the switch from iPhone. Thanks for this :) but sorry you're having trouble.'
    I'll still take my Android over Apple. I'm just annoyed with the curved screen.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Yep love Samsung, exvept for tbose damned curved edges. Screen protectors are ridiculously hard for them!
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I've been considering that. Samsung's stock board is significantly different in the symbols and shortcuts than Swype, which is what I've used on my last two phones.

Chrooma's good too. Very easy to personalize, Swype stle available, no rooting, and not stupid with ads
  • mcafton
    mcafton Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Ahh Samsung. Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be. Apparently, the S8 curved screen and the screen protector aren't exactly matching up well.

Picked up the new phone a little more than a week ago. Color my unimpressed. This phone is busting my balls with the autocorrect.

i (seriously?) get random spaces, (<-like this double space) weird autocorrects (it only took 3 tries to get to "weird"), and general functionality irritations (central functionality iterations the 1st go).

Rumor has it that the screen protector eventually settles unto the screen better. Until then jabbing b5 darling googled dann phone... *sigh*

Bixby is annoying. there are some other things that bother me, but I can't think of them right now. one thing is you can't copy pics from your gallery by holding down your finger on them.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Options
    @WendyLeigh1119 suggested Swiftkey in another thread. I'm testing it out and liking it a bit so far.
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options

Android has so many keyboard apps (Swiftkey is my fav), nobody really uses the out-of-the-box app anyways. Same with the bloatware that most Samsung's come with. You can look into launchers etc (Nova is good), no need to root the phone.

As for the screen protector, there are thousands of vendors on amazon that sells s8 screen protectors with 4+ stars. I am going to go on a limb and say you can probably buy a better one than you have right now that came from the store.

The whole point of Android is the space for customization for me. I agree that iPhone's come in handy if you wanna use them just out of the box.
  • sw33tp3a1
    sw33tp3a1 Posts: 5,065 Member
    Options
    I love my Samsung 8. I see no issues with it but I'm also not tech savy lol
  • captainfantastic94
    captainfantastic94 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    I just turned the auto correct off. Other than that I like it lots
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Options
    I'm starting to have charging issues already
    That's not something I want to hear. How long have you had the phone?
  • thegirlinbldg8
    thegirlinbldg8 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have that too. Definitely wasn't a fan of the autocorrect. But you can go to setting and turn it off. Same with the spacing. Though I figured out it was me using predictive text which automatically does spacing and then my hitting the spacebar as well. It was driving me nuts but I've adjusted. This is the first galaxy I've had with a curved screen. I don't really care for it. Glad to have a memory card again though!
  • relynne
    relynne Posts: 387 Member
    Options

I'm starting to have charging issues already
    That's not something I want to hear. How long have you had the phone?

Two days before it was available in the stores. I can remember the date, but it's only been like 3 months. Use the Samsung chargers and cables. For some reason, I'm having better luck with that.

Would you buy it again? I have the S6 and I've been holding off on upgrading because I don't know anyone that has the S8 that loves it.
  • Raquel_Mama
    Raquel_Mama Posts: 1,815 Member
    Options
    sw33tp3a1 wrote: »
    I love my Samsung 8. I see no issues with it but I'm also not tech savy lol

I second this! No problems here :smile: