Advice for post-workout?

Options
So I have been at this for about a month and a half now. I am doing well but I haven't gotten to the point with working out that I am actually looking forward to working out or that I can notice a difference in my energy levels and how I feel physically. After I work out, I am so physically drained that all I want to do is veg and not move. I feel nauseous and just so physically worn out. I am vigilant about staying hydrated and drinking water all throughout my workout, but I just am not getting that post work-out high that everyone talks about. Do I just need to wait a little longer or am I doing something wrong? Is there anything I can do about the nauseous feeling? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• laurabarrett79
    laurabarrett79 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hey:) I get that way if I don't eat before I workout OR if I eat too much, like a meal. I usually have a couple bites of fruit, or a swig of a protein shake a few minutes before I start. It might depend on when you're working out. After my morning workout I am energized and ready to take on the day...I'm totally opposite if I work out in the afternoon or evening, I just feel wasted the rest of the day. You've been doing amazing though! So hang in there, hopefully it gets better for you.
  • HSmamato4
    HSmamato4 Posts: 70
    Options
    bump
  • beedo30
    beedo30 Posts: 186
    Options
    Can you explain what you do for your workout as far as cardio, duration, weights, and how long you have been working out. You may need to turn the intensity down a bit until your body gets use to the change, its really hard to say whats going on but if your drained and nauseous your have to hitting it pretty hard! Like lamichwa said, try eating some food before you go and getting some food in you after the workout just keep it light. Good luck and good job on the weight loss!
  • ChristinaRamos
    Options
    yea, sometimes I get a workout high if I do a really strenuous workout, but I get really lazy if I do a crappy workout. It seems that way anyway. I also drink a after workout recovery shake called vi shape nutrition, its delicious!
  • beedo30
    Options
    Havent seen an edit on workout
  • HSmamato4
    HSmamato4 Posts: 70
    Options
    Well, I am just starting out-have about 180 left to lose. I am doing some calisthenics (push-ups, crunches, jumping jacks and squats) and then I usually do a video, a fave is Prevention's Walk Yourself FIt-there are a few different tracks for that one-a 20 min mile and a half cardio workout, 15 minute mile interval workout and 15 min mile body sculpting workout with weight. I do all three (not at once, I alternate days).

I don't typically eat before working out (or after do to the nausea-it usually takes me an hour or so to recover, sometimes it's several hours before I seem to have any energy back, even just to complete day-to-day functions).

Does that help at all?
  • casdls
    casdls Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    A teacher in one of my fitness classes says that if you are tired or nauseous after a workout, you are actually working too hard and burning sugar rather than fat (I may have that mixed up). After a workout, you should feel energized. I realized that I was pushing myself way to hard. When I toned it down and stayed within the proper heart rate zone, I felt great after working out, as well as having a great, high calorie-burning workout.
  • beedo30
    Options
    Have something small to eat before you workout and see if that helps, around 30 minutes before and no sooner. Your body just needs to get use to the activitys your doing and it will get better. Keep up the good work and dont give up, slow down a bit and work your way up.