Do you annoy people at the store?

Options

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I'm tempted to someday ask the produce manager if he can just sell me half a head of cauliflower.

As others have said- there are store that will.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I'm tempted to someday ask the produce manager if he can just sell me half a head of cauliflower.

At Publix they have signs up in the packaged produce area that say they are happy to break packages for you, so apparently that's a thing some places :)
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    Options

And the grocery store by my house sells celery by the stalk, which is AWESOME. I can never use up an entire bunch before it goes bad.

SO JEALOUS!!!

Right?! And they only charge $0.99/lb, so two stalks cost like a quarter!
  • nlwrfa
    nlwrfa Posts: 118 Member
    Options

crazyravr wrote: »
    $5.00 a pound is killing me. Salmon is $35 a kilo here.

I know! I got a bargain the other day and paid $25 a kilo.

You do realize that now you are either buying stuff thats been frozen from last year catch or farmed right? You have to wait for Sept. to get the real thing and stock up :) I cannot wait for another 40lbs of King Salmon to get into my smoker :)

mmm smoked salmon.... i can eat that like candy **drool** unfortunately I don't have a smoker.. probably a good thing :D And interesting.. I didn't know that to be honest about it being frozen from last year's catch. Hopefully it won't hurt anything being thawed to sell, and refroze by me only to thaw again...
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    A high(er) end grocery store in my area had a selection of Hawaii fishes that I never heard before like Opah and several others. But only for that week. There was maybe 5 different types I had never tried before. I wanted try them all so I had the guy cut me off just a piece from all of them so I could cook them all up and decide which I liked. Of course to be able to tell he had to print a label for each one.

Here is the list
    https://centralmarket.com/2017/03/01/a-taste-of-island-life-straight-from-hawaii/

I think that may have annoyed him some but I did wait until there wasn't customers waiting around and thanked him for doing this. I know that had to be annoying but I didn't want to buy a whole meal sized portion JUST to find out that my husband ( mostly my husband ) and I didn't like it.
  • nlwrfa
    nlwrfa Posts: 118 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    RenaTX wrote: »
    A high(er) end grocery store in my area had a selection of Hawaii fishes that I never heard before like Opah and several others. But only for that week. There was maybe 5 different types I had never tried before. I wanted try them all so I had the guy cut me off just a piece from all of them so I could cook them all up and decide which I liked. Of course to be able to tell he had to print a label for each one.

Here is the list
    https://centralmarket.com/2017/03/01/a-taste-of-island-life-straight-from-hawaii/

I think that may have annoyed him some but I did wait until there wasn't customers waiting around and thanked him for doing this. I know that had to be annoying but I didn't want to buy a whole meal sized portion JUST to find out that my husband ( mostly my husband ) and I didn't like it.

Have you tried them yet? I'm always looking for new things to try! thoughts on the opah, monchong, kampachi?
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    If it's not busy I don't think it's too much to ask them to slice it, especially if you're not asking for exactly 5oz, they have sharper knives than I do at home. There is a girl that works at the seafood counter where I live and I thought she was just having a bad day but no I have interacted with her several times and she is NEVER a pleasant person, and she will try to give the you the crappiest looking seafood, ex. crab legs that have brown spots where the shell is broken. The other guy is great, polite and picks the freshest pieces. Big difference in customer service. I try never to take my bad day/life out on someone else that has no idea, there is really no good excuse for being rude to someone that is doing nothing to you, especially someone that is keeping you in a job with their business. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    NoraInMt wrote: »

You do realize that now you are either buying stuff thats been frozen from last year catch or farmed right? You have to wait for Sept. to get the real thing and stock up :) I cannot wait for another 40lbs of King Salmon to get into my smoker :)

mmm smoked salmon.... i can eat that like candy **drool** unfortunately I don't have a smoker.. probably a good thing :D And interesting.. I didn't know that to be honest about it being frozen from last year's catch. Hopefully it won't hurt anything being thawed to sell, and refroze by me only to thaw again...

I make salmon jerky in my dehydrator.........seriously worth it to try, sooo good! I love smoked salmon too though
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I prefer doing it myself at home with my 10$ food scale. But you did nothing wrong.
  • marty_tin
    marty_tin Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I work in a butcher shop. I get nervous when someone asks for specifics like that, but usually there are men there that have been doing this job for 30+ years and are extremely accurate with weights. The only annoyance I have is asking my coworkers to help to cut it up only to get yelled at or ignored for my request because "they don't get paid enough to go the extra mile." Smh. So, I usually try my best and apologize a lot for not getting it perfect. There is no harm or foul, the way I see it in my slow day it's nice to have something to do to pass the time.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Christine and I are both in Australia, I think there might be a bit of a seasonal slip ;)
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options

Christine and I are both in Australia, I think there might be a bit of a seasonal slip ;)

If it was atlantic salmon it was likely farmed, a lot if not most fresh or frozen salmon in Australia is farmed.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Ahhhh gotcha. Makes sense. Different world :) Everything upside down, water flushes the wrong way lol :)

People drive on the wrong side of the road, probably for the same reason as the water... :grin:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    I think the only problem with refreezing meat (especially seafood, though) is a texture thing.

I've done it, it isn't the ideal thing - but as long as you use the [salmon] in some way other than the main course it's fine. Like I freeze it and then use it shredded into a pasta salad or as a sandwich spread. That kind of thing. If you try to eat it just as a filet in the middle of the plate, you'll definitely notice the texture change. But then I live in the PNW, salmon a few hours out of the water will spoil ya.
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    NoraInMt wrote: »
    RenaTX wrote: »

Here is the list

Have you tried them yet? I'm always looking for new things to try! thoughts on the opah, monchong, kampachi?

I liked the monchong best. My husband liked the opah best. He usually prefers firmer fish like swordfish or maui maui . My husband didn't care for one of the kampachi. It was too ... "fishy" according to my husband but he doesn't normally like oilier fishes where I do like them.