Is vegan (soyless) bodybuilding a thing?

Options
I'm not vegan and don't intend to be, but I want to limit the amount of animal products I eat while still making gainz. I'll eat soy in moderation but don't want to consume copious amounts of it.

Can I get some tips or stories of real-life experiences?

Replies

• givesometogetsome
    givesometogetsome Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few good plant sources of protein without soy. If you're into protein powders, there's brown rice, pea, and hemp. I prefer 'meal-type' food and I'm lazy as *kitten* with cooking, so I go with this brand called Field Roast. I don't think any of their products use soy. They use vital wheat gluten for the protein. I've been eating a lot of their frankfurters and celebration roasts lately.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Me, Me, and Me.

It's possible, but damn is it a struggle. Too much soy and my thyroid levels start getting off whack, i'm lactose intolerant, and vegetarian. I can't stress how much easier it is if you can eat soy, eggs, or dairy.

I try and eat plenty of: Lentils, beans, chickpeas, peas, seitan, green peas, fortified nut milks, protein bars like Simply protein, Cliff Builder’s Bars, NuGo, etc.

I have some recipes I can send you, but you can also find plenty of high-protein recipes on different websites like allrecipes, the protein chef, and reddit.
  • Hausisse1
    Hausisse1 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Me, Me, and Me.

It's possible, but damn is it a struggle. Too much soy and my thyroid levels start getting off whack, i'm lactose intolerant, and vegetarian. I can't stress how much easier it is if you can eat soy, eggs, or dairy.

I try and eat plenty of: Lentils, beans, chickpeas, peas, seitan, green peas, fortified nut milks, protein bars like Simply protein, Cliff Builder’s Bars, NuGo, etc.

I have some recipes I can send you, but you can also find plenty of high-protein recipes on different websites like allrecipes, the protein chef, and reddit.

Please send me some recipes!! Or maybe some subreddits that are good resources. Thank you :)
  • Hausisse1
    Hausisse1 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few good plant sources of protein without soy. If you're into protein powders, there's brown rice, pea, and hemp. I prefer 'meal-type' food and I'm lazy as *kitten* with cooking, so I go with this brand called Field Roast. I don't think any of their products use soy. They use vital wheat gluten for the protein. I've been eating a lot of their frankfurters and celebration roasts lately.

I do have a plant base protein power, but what about the whole "essential amino acids" thing?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Hausisse1 wrote: »

I do have a plant base protein power, but what about the whole "essential amino acids" thing?

many of these powders already include all the required amino acids.

You can also take some BCAAs to ensure you're getting enough of the ones (i find particularly) that are difficult to get enough of in your diet. I would also recommend tracking your intake on cron-o-meter instead of MFP for a more clear profile of your nutrition.