First Timer Dietier and Exerciser

Hello! I'm relatively new to making healthy dietary changes and working out. I'm 30, male, 5'6 and weighted 268lbs on May 1st. As of today I weight 246lbs.

I've been going to the gym twice a week for about 6 weeks. I work with a personal trainer for 60 minutes on strenght training. One day upper and the day lower. I enjoy the one on one time with the trainer as it ensures that I am learning proper techniques and that I am not neglecting a specific muscle group while at the gym.

My diet is mainly heavily protein based with chicken and fish being primary meals along with greens, brown rice, and steel cut oats.

Snacks have been protein bars, shakes, and powders.

I average 1500-1600 calories daily.

I look and feel the same. My clothes are a little less snug but looking in the mirror and looking at pictures do not show a difference.

I'm patient but I want to make sure that I'm progressing as I should and not wasting time by making mistakes.

I'm driving on average a half a gallon of water a day, and have cut out all other liquids besides a morning cup of black coffee.

Is this normal weight loss time?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    you've lost 22 lbs in 6 weeks and are not happy with this?? that is A LOT! what were you hoping for?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    There is a huge variation in when we will begin to see our own weight loss. Sometimes we literally can't see what others can, sometimes it doesn't look visible at all until a certain point.

It can be frustrating, but it sounds like you're making fantastic progress on the scale. Have you tried taking your measurements to see if you're progressing that way? Sometimes the tape measure can show us there is a difference even when our eyes can't.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    you should be VERY happy with that. I have barely lost 17 lbs and I've been at this working hard for a full year.
  • ajgibson528
    ajgibson528 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you Janejellyroll I had not thought to do other measurements besides the weight scale. I am not looking for a rapid loss in weight but wanted to see if my results so far fell along the norm.

Thanks!
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Thank you Janejellyroll I had not thought to do other measurements besides the weight scale. I am not looking for a rapid loss in weight but wanted to see if my results so far fell along the norm.

Thanks!

I'd say you are ahead of the norm, don't be surprised if that weight of loss decreases in the near future!
  • akmomof7
    akmomof7 Posts: 162 Member
    If you start having problems sticking to your plan, be aware that your deficit is quite large and you can eat more and still lose weight. For comparison, my husband is 50 and 5'4" 135 lbs and he is still losing on 1500 calories a day. He's an IT guy, so quite sedentary outside of running 3 times a week and usually a family outing on the weekend.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,169 Member
    You're doing great!! Congratulations. I second the recommendation to take your measurements. I've lost some weight but can't tell much of a difference just by looking in the mirror. But I've lost one inch around the waist! Maybe you can see whether you've gone down a notch in your belt size. What are you doing the other five days a week? A 30 minute walk isn't a bad way to add in some light cardio.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    great progress!! Have you used a tape measure? Often we don't see the difference in the mirror but measuring might help you see the difference more. You may also want to increase your vegetable variety just to get some different nutrients which you may be lacking.