HELP I YOUNG GIRL OUT

Options
Okey, so I'm 18 years old, I', 5'4, I weighed 154 lbs in the beginning of june, now i weigh 145 lbs, so a bit of weight loss, but now it kinda slowed down again.

I wanted to try losing weight healthier so I started my weight loss with eating 1200 kcal.
At the time when i lost 9 lbs I ate around 1200 calories a day and not working out at all, I figured I needed about 1400-1500 calories a day To maintain my weight.
Now, without even thinking about it, i started cutting my calorie intake to 800 a day, sometimes around 600 a day ( I just to count calories, stopped, and started again) I also started to go on walks everyday which burns about 350-500 calories every time.
Why am I not losing weight? I've heard that 1200 calories a day would burn 2 lbs a week, but I'm not losing any weight anymore

Can someone please tell me why and how can I start losing weight again?

Replies

• xandra47
    xandra47 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to lose 2 pounds a week if you are short and don't have alot to lose (after initial water weight comes off) and probably not very healthy. 1200 calories a day should be the minimum, less than that is unhealthy, and 600/day is anorexia (been there, no fun at all and can really damage your body) Try seeing your goal to 1 pound a week and make sure you're getting at least 1200 calories/day.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Okey, so I'm 18 years old, I', 5'4, I weighed 154 lbs in the beginning of june, now i weigh 145 lbs, so a bit of weight loss, but now it kinda slowed down again.

I wanted to try losing weight healthier so I started my weight loss with eating 1200 kcal.
    At the time when i lost 9 lbs I ate around 1200 calories a day and not working out at all, I figured I needed about 1400-1500 calories a day To maintain my weight.
    Now, without even thinking about it, i started cutting my calorie intake to 800 a day, sometimes around 600 a day ( I just to count calories, stopped, and started again) I also started to go on walks everyday which burns about 350-500 calories every time.
    Why am I not losing weight? I've heard that 1200 calories a day would burn 2 lbs a week, but I'm not losing any weight anymore

What's your goal weight?

Right now you are under eating, which is stressful to the body. Elevated cortisol levels can cause water retention. Water weight gain masks fat loss.

Given that you started at 154 pounds, 9 pounds in less than a month is a LOT. Eat at least 1200 calories and expect future weight loss to be slower, which is healthier given that at 5'4" you can't have too much more to lose.
  • nooopotatis
    nooopotatis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yep I know that I don't eat enough, I didn't really think about it, bc I've never really eaten breakfast and lunch, but always dinner and snacks here and there, so it always added up to the right amount of calories.

But now I've stopped eating sweets, never ever ate breakfast or lunch, and change my diet to vegetarian, so the calorie count became a bit of.

Thanks for all the answers defentely hate me thinking. I'm gonna get back to 1200-1400 calories a day, eat all 3 big meals of the day and still go for a walk every day 60-90 min a day, Sounds good and sensible right?

(And I did weigh all my food, and I just a calorie calculator and always but the food I eat as higher in calories than it really was, so when I said I eat around 650-800 I probably eat 300-400, and the reason I did it so long was bc I didn't feel more or less tired, still hade a lot, A LOT of energy)
  • nooopotatis
    Options
    @concetta1123 Yes! I've noticed there a lot of older people here, I would love to chat, seems like the weight loss journey goes easier
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    The problems here are drastically under eating and highly unrealistic expectations. Weight loss and fat loss are not the same thing and fat loss is the real goal. Our weights will fluctuate several pounds from day to day and that is perfectly normal. Just drinking a 16 ounce bottle of water will cause you to gain over a pound but it certainly doesn't cause you to gain any fat. 9 pounds in 4 weeks at your size is actually a very aggressive weight loss. Also, you need to understand that normal fluctuations in weight can easily hide even a couple of weeks of fat loss. You are panicking and damaging your health for no reason. You need to raise your calories back up to at least 1200, if not more, and allow the process to work. If you go a couple of months with no change, then make a small adjustment although that won't happen at an accurate 1200 calories. Personally, I wouldn't aim for any faster than 1 pound per week. You will look better and retain more muscle if you lose slower. Lose faster and you will lose more muscle and end up "skinny fat". Also, you aren't very heavy now so why rush?
  • nooopotatis
    Options
    @Chadxx Yes I know, I guess I just kinda got overexcited from losing 9 lbs in like 2 weeks.
    I've never been the person to care a lot about the weight, but more about the measurement, but I've found that the measurement doesn't really change for me, no matter how much I work out, it only really change when i lost weight.

and I don't really wanna retain muscles, I played a lot of sport when younger, so I have a lot of muscles, and I hate it, I would looove to be skinny fat lol
    And I guess I Just have *kitten* up views, cus i think I'm very heavy, and also like my friend think I'm heavy, so I gotta be heavy
  • nooopotatis
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

What's your goal weight?

Right now you are under eating, which is stressful to the body. Elevated cortisol levels can cause water retention. Water weight gain masks fat loss.

Given that you started at 154 pounds, 9 pounds in less than a month is a LOT. Eat at least 1200 calories and expect future weight loss to be slower, which is healthier given that at 5'4" you can't have too much more to lose.

My weight goals is as low as I can get without being underweight for my height, so around 116-110 lbs
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    my caution here is that if you get as thin as you can get away with, that means if you want to stay that way, you will have to eat fewer calories than you've ever been accustomed to in order to stay like that, because the less you weigh the less you burn. Consider carefully if you want to make that sacrifice long term.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    First off when you typed in 2 pounds a week the system gave you 1200 because that is the lowest amount it will recommend. You won't lose 2 pounds a week at that height and weight and you shouldn't. You are already very close to the weight you need to be (I'm guessing you need to lose about 20 pounds at most). You will have to be patient. I am 60 years old and can tell you crash dieting (eating way too low) will only cause you to gain and lose until you are much heavier. Take it nice and slow and you will lose in a healthy way and maintain that weight. I weighed 155 when I was your age and am 5'5" tall. By the time I was in my 50's I was 250 pounds! I did that by crash dieting on every fad diet that came along. Then I would get so hungry I would give up and binge eat and gain all the weight I lost and more. I personally believe if I had just been sensible I never would have gotten that fat. It has taken me a year and a half to lose 104 pounds (20 pre-MFP). I hope you will stick between 1000 and 1200 net calories and just take your time. The plus is you will keep it off and your skin will have time to shrink down to where it should be. Good luck
  • rlilly697
    rlilly697 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day should be your minimum aim! Any less and your potentially burning them literally standing still!
    If you go too low the health problems could put you back months if not years! The body will go into a panic mode if you under fuel it!