Do people actually enjoy working out?

Options

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Mostly, yes.

I did have to build up some base fitness, though. No exercise is all that fun when all you can think about is 'when am I done so I can quit aching and/or catch my breath'.

These days, the only time I don't enjoy my runs is when I start out exhausted - and even then I usually feel better by the time I'm done - and when the weather makes it miserable. 90+ degrees and 80+ humidity makes for a miserable run for me, 100% guaranteed.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Just read this and hell ya I LOVE working out. For 15 years I forgot how much I did. Recently I decided to lose weight and get into shape again. Now that the noob DOMS are gone for most part it's a joy to lift. Those first few weeks were a *kitten* but now it's just a slight discomfort and my mood is so much better. I still get crabby but after a good lift session I am content and nicer to everyone for hours.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I don't. I am not one of those people who find joy in any type of exercise. Im not athletic or strong at all! However, I know I need to exercise for health reasons and for me personally, the release of endorphins helps my mood and helps me sleep. Yoga and PIYO is what works for me.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    In my opinion, it's important to find physical activities that you do enjoy.

When I started trying to lose weight, I did it with diet only. That's the most important thing, obviously, but then I started adding walks just to burn some calories to earn some more food. I started feeling much better after I added some activity to my life.

Then I started doing some other physical activities that I enjoyed when I was a kid, like running, hiking, and swimming. Then I picked up juggling and poi, which I haven't done in years. Since then I have added some strength training, which is actually sort of fun in an academic sort of way.

Do I have fun on an elliptical machine? No. But if I'm already in the gym for other activities, and I have some calories to kill, it's an inoffensive and relatively efficient way to do it, so I willingly put up with it for half an hour or however long it takes to burn off those French fries.

So basically, even exercise I don't care for isn't as bad as it used to be now that I've picked up some exercise I do like.

EDIT: I, too, have a 45-minute commute twice a day. At this point I know that I'm going to go to the gym as soon as I get home and change clothes. It's an hour tops, I can definitely make time.

I'm definitely consuming less media than I used to, but having fun and getting healthier is worth the reduction in books and movies.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Initially I really didn't, mainly because when I first started working out all I pretty much did was mindless cardio. While I lost weight, it was insanely boring. I got to the point where even with my massive library of music and literally dozens of music apps, I was sick of almost everything I would listen to during this time.

Back then I was too intimidated to lift weights, so I sat in the literally the very last treadmill at the back of my local Planet Fitness and trudged along aimlessly. I might still be doing that to this day if not for a chance meeting with a super cool dude in the locker room one day who subsequently took me under his wing. After getting over the initial sore as hell factor from the first couple of weeks on a weight program, I was hooked like a crackhead on rock. After that my level of intensity skyrocketed and I devoured any and every new weight program I could get my hands on.

I had a rather brief 3-4 month stint doing the CrossFit thing during this time period also, but I simply could not drunk the Kool Aide enough for those folks and I went back to traditional a traditional weight training/body building routine.

These days weight training is very much a catharsis of sorts for me. It gives me balance and focus in my life and allows all the other variables in my life to work in harmony. If that sounds incredibly cheese, I suppose it is, but it is how I feel nonetheless. People that view exercise as a chore are people that have not discovered a form of exercise which ignites their passion yet. Once they do, they will have a similar experience as me.
  • amysteri
    amysteri Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Yes it's fun!
    My workouts are fun, because I know every sweat and burn means I'm getting closer to my goal of being healthier and stronger! :)

If you don't like yours, try changing it up. There are a lot of different workouts to try
  • Bookworm1860
    Bookworm1860 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    CTcutie wrote: »
    What exercise do you do? Have you tried other things?

Resistance (machines, not heavy because it messes with my joints too much), zumba, yoga, treadmill, stationary bike and a little stair master. I can't be in the sun so anything outdoors is out. I do like to dance but even that leaves me hurting and tired. Changing the activity won't change that sweat feels like acid and hurts my skin, that I get horrific DOMS, or that it makes me really tired. It would if those were psychological but they aren't.
    CTcutie wrote: »
    PS those "endorphins" only kick in when you can do a "workout" for longer duration, so you need to build endurance to get there.

Longer than the @1 1/2 - 2 hours I'm usually in the gym is just never going to happen.

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I don't enjoy working out, am always checking the timer to see how long I have left
    When Daniel (fitnessblendercom) says this workout is complete I am like YES
    I am interested to hear why it puts you in a terrible mood though I haven't heard that before
    I love the energy I get after working out and how strong and fit I have become
  • RanaRanaLeigh
    RanaRanaLeigh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try Zumba Chica:) or swing dance and if you like a more HARDCORE workout then bust out some Zumba strong:) you can get on YouTube and bust it wide open in your kitchen if you want
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Do people actually enjoy working out?

Absolutely!! :)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I think "enjoy" can be used to describe the feeling I experience when a workout goal is achieved.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I do. I enjoy the during because I get off on expanding my abilities and capabilities and the feeling of accomplishment after appeals to me. I am on vacation now and chilling with my parents but I find I am getting antsy middle of the day if I haven't done anything more strenuous than walking their dog. I ran 5 miles yesterday in a nearby park, my knees feel it today but it was awesome.
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Did OP ever came back to his own thread to read replies?:)
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I don't love it every day. I have days where I hate it, but majority of the time I really enjoy it.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Well, all these enthusiastic folks who enjoy working out - count your lucky stars. Some of us hate it with a passion. I guess it is better than a dentist visit... but almost as bad. I don't feel good during or after a workout, I feel very uncomfortable, sweaty(ugh) and often times in pain. Before a workout all I feel is dread. The only good thing is when it is done I don't have to guilt myself until the next day.

Seriously- 75 days. 70 of those days 30+ minute workouts recorded. Different stuff - mostly cardio because I don't have any form and am more likely to hurt myself with free weights than help. (No I don't have money for a gym membership and the closest YMCA (which I could probably afford) is 45 minutes away). Hot and sweaty = miserable to me, so exercising is pretty tortuous with no discernible benefit except some damn numbers at the docs office.

So, some of us know it is good for us, can see the dr test numbers improve yet don't enjoy anything about it. We have to force ourselves to continue being miserable 30 + minutes a day to stay or get healthy. The only motivation for working out for me?: to be healthy. :(

Thank heavens for June/July/august community pool. At least I don't hate swimming.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    ^ There's lots of reason to exercise other than "doctors numbers."

I for one, look forward to getting off the toilet myself for many years to come.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    "There Is No Reason To Be Alive If You Can't Do Deadlift" Jon Pall Sigmarsson
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWUcHKAj_tc

LOL well maybe not that extreme but....ya. I can't believe I waited so long to get back into lifting.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I've gotta be honest. I don't like lifting. It's hard, makes me hot, and just not that fun. I have still done it 3 days a week for nine months straight. I still don't like it, but I had results fairly quickly and that got me hooked. Sometimes you just have to do something that sucks to get what you want, like commuting every day in crappy traffic because money is awesome. The paycheck will be looking good and you will just have to decide if it's worth it to you.

Cardio on the other hand. There are endless options for cardio. You could spend the rest of your life trying out different cardio activities. There is something out there you enjoy. Only thing is it doesn't usually help you look better, just makes you skinnier or lets you eat more food. It's great for your heart though.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    My workouts took months to develop as a habit, and now they help me power through the day mentally and physically. Getting started isn't always enjoyable, but once I'm halfway through I'm on cloud nine.
  • mcafton
    mcafton Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    no.