Hitting 400 carbs per day

Options
muss_9
muss_9 Posts: 2 Member
edited June 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Hi

As the title says, bulking for my 2nd time and I am trying to hit 400 carbs per day without resulting to 'junk' food. I would like to know what kind of healthy carbs should I look for other than oats, pasta, beans etc which are already in my meal plan

Thanks

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Potatoes (sweet & white), rice, quinoa.

But the real question is, why only "healthy" carbs? Is whole wheat bread ok? Pancakes, maple syrup, honey, calorie dense fruit?
  • muss_9
    muss_9 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks, whole wheat is fine

To answer your question, is just so that I don't feel like *kitten* through out the day lol
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Shredded wheat!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Fruit
  • DuckieGirl80
    DuckieGirl80 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    muss_9 wrote: »

To answer your question, is just so that I don't feel like *kitten* through out the day lol

I keep seeing this word Kitten.... what does it mean?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

I keep seeing this word Kitten.... what does it mean?

It's the swear filter.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I am not sure how this translates to bulking because the objectives are different, but when I am carb loading for a marathon, I like to get my carbs from pancakes with peanut butter and banana or jelly. I also drink a lot of fruit juices and sports drinks. Again, not sure how that translates to your goal, but the juice might give you the carb calories you need without that overly full feeling.

ETA: Like I said, I don't know much about bulking. Why do you need your calories to come from carbs?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

Excessive amounts of high fibre "healthy" carbs will probably make you feel rubbish throughout the day too....

What about low fat yoghurt, fruit, cereal, low fat milk etc?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Also to point out, you don't need to hit 400g of carbs. You can definitely add in additional fats.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I am not sure how this translates to bulking because the objectives are different, but when I am carb loading for a marathon, I like to get my carbs from pancakes with peanut butter and banana or jelly. I also drink a lot of fruit juices and sports drinks. Again, not sure how that translates to your goal, but the juice might give you the carb calories you need without that overly full feeling.

ETA: Like I said, I don't know much about bulking. Why do you need your calories to come from carbs?

So you don't need to get calories from carbs, but carbs are generally very beneficial during a bulk as they inhibit protein degredation and are anticatabolic. This will allow amino acids from protein to be utilize for building muscle as opposed to other things like being converted to glucose for energy.