Does anyone else find that having money ends up making you gain weight

So currently I'm attempting to lose weight before university but my main worry is keeping it off when I actually start university. I believe the main reason behind my weight gain is having money. I have a tendency to binge a lot and this can only be accommodated when I have money. When I move to university I will have my own money for the first time in my life and be completely in control of the food I buy. From past experiences having money has been bad for me. During my birthday last November I ended up having £200 and almost the entirety of that money was spent on candy and junk food. After a 2 months period all the money was gone and I had gained 15 pounds. I am currently the heaviest I have ever been at 185 pounds and I'm scared that having this money and freedom will make me more likely to binge eat and in the process gain weight. Has anyone else had difficulty with this and found a way to develop self control

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Developing self-control as with anything mind based takes time and effort. You have to work at it. For me I found that when I was eating all 3 meals a day (proper meals that actually filled me) and had some snacks prepared I didn't feel the need to snack as much, sometimes at all whether I had the extra money or not. And it was kind of fun looking at something like a tub of ice cream and seeing it last a week or more because I wasn't eating nearly as much as I was. That was motivating in and of itself.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    No...I have money...that's not what I'd do with my money, nor would I be tempted to blow that kind of money on candy.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    I tend to spend money on exercise equipment/clothing/supplements/etc. when I have extra. So it doesn't really make me fat. I guess in the past when I wasn't interested in those things I might have spent it on junk, eating out, etc. but it really just depends on your priorities. Maybe you're denying yourself too much on a diet and it's causing you to binge/crave things. Try practicing IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros). Eat at a caloric deficit, get plenty of exercise, and eat what you want as long as it fits your macros. Unless you have a medical condition no need to outlaw any specific foods. Chances are some of the higher caloric density foods you like can be purchased or made to be lighter on the calories and still taste just as good. Just my .02.
  • melodydee66
    melodydee66 Posts: 115 Member
    When I can afford it, I try something fresh and new. Maybe I will have garlic prawns with a homemade pesto. Or a great cut of steak with grilled veggies. Having more money available makes eating healthier easier and more fun. It's when I have to watch my budget that it's more challenging to eat better.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    No, I don't tend to spend extra on food when I have extra money - unless it's for someone else. I'll definitely splurge on someone else's favorite treat and gift it to them.

My most recent 'spare money purchase' was compression running shorts. I'm finding they are a godsend in hot and humid weather.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    So currently I'm attempting to lose weight before university but my main worry is keeping it off when I actually start university. I believe the main reason behind my weight gain is having money. I have a tendency to binge a lot and this can only be accommodated when I have money. When I move to university I will have my own money for the first time in my life and be completely in control of the food I buy. From past experiences having money has been bad for me. During my birthday last November I ended up having £200 and almost the entirety of that money was spent on candy and junk food. After a 2 months period all the money was gone and I had gained 15 pounds. I am currently the heaviest I have ever been at 185 pounds and I'm scared that having this money and freedom will make me more likely to binge eat and in the process gain weight. Has anyone else had difficulty with this and found a way to develop self control

It's not the amount of money that you have, it is your mentality and poor choices. Save the money for raining days or buy yourself a nice pair of running shoes and hit the pavement. I am sure that you will have money left to buy fresh fruit and vegetables in your local market. Problem solved and 15 lbs lost!
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Op your problem is money management. Just because you have extra money on hand doesn't mean you have to spend it.
  • ngoziish
    ngoziish Posts: 60 Member
    Sorry, I believe its's a state of mind and making poor choices in food no matter what social economic status.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    No.
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    hmmm...I guess I'm an outlier. Yes, I've been known to overbuy food and ultimately I (used to) eat it. You are talking about a habit of overbuying and yes habits have to be addressed in this journey. When I focus on cutting spend/saving I tend to reinforce better health, including food habits.

There are other ways to reign in this indulgence habit too. My new habit is to walk to the grocery store and only buy what is a.) on the list and b.) fits in my carry bags for the walk home.

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Ummm no. Having money means I can afford better quality food. Since my income has improved greatly I have been eating a lot more fruits and veggies.

It isn't having money. It is how you chose to spend it.

You are entering the world of being an adult. You are accountable for your own choices.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    I have a tendency to eat out more when I have extra money but even then, I can choose to make healthy choices. Maybe start a savings account and commit a certain percentage of the money to it. Come up with a list of things you would like to spend it on- it can be big things like saving for your own place or a vacation, or relatively little things like gym membership or tickets to a movie. Those little things can also be rewards for losing a certain amout of weight, or successfully working out 5 days a week all month (or whatever your health goals are).

The real problem, the one that needs to be addressed, is the eating habits and the mentality behind those habits- what your binge triggers are, why you're initial reaction to having money is wanting to spend it on unhealthy food. The money might be what makes your urges actionable, but the money itself is not the problem.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    not really.....a 4$ thing of strawberries sittiing beside a (big) 3$ coffee cake in my store every week reminds me why we all got fat...cheap food tends to be fat filled and fresh healthy stuff has a market and is expensive. Bad food choices make you fat not more money.

Bad food choices don't make you fat. A calorie surplus does. I was obese while following all the diet traps/trends (low-carb, Paleo, Keto, etc). I didn't lose weight until I started monitoring my calories while eating whatever I want (yes, I eat "junk" food every day lol). I went from 187 to 117.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    edited June 2017
    Yep/Nope. If I have "extra" money, I'm more likely than not to spend it on food....excess food, therein lies the problem. I now force myself to invest that "extra" money into other things....workout clothes, mods for my car, toys for my pets, gifts for mom or hubby, etc... I then meal plan and limit my access to my debit card and credit card so I can't buy food just to buy food.

I'm not a good money manager myself and if it's a skill you can learn, I would encourage it. Elsewise, just limit your access to that money.

ETA...it's not the money's fault...it's lack of self control/money management.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,954 Member
    Sounds like you have a propensity to binge, and when you have money you give in to that impulse.

Good news is that if you only do it when you have money, your far less compulsive that someone who has binge eating disorder, so you ought to be able to nip it in the bud. It comes down to money management, and will power.

If you continue on the way you have in the past, you'll end up broke and obese. Part of growing up and gaining independence is learning to be responsible for yourself, so its good that you've recognised this now and can work to change those habits.
  • MySweetLavinia
    MySweetLavinia Posts: 90 Member
    OP, I know exactly what you mean. Prior to changing my eating habits, extra money equaled take-out food for me... constantly. All different kinds. Whereas when I have to be careful with my grocery budget, I buy more sensible food (and much less of it).

I wish I knew the secret to how I got myself to stop doing it. I was just tired of being fat one day and quit all the unhealthy food cold turkey.
  • amysteri
    amysteri Posts: 197 Member
    @RyanSykes89 No.

Cravings and lack of self-control make you gain weight.
    :o

Resist!