Milk

Options
tyadrake
tyadrake Posts: 107 Member
I have to admit, I am not a milk drinker. I see all the commercials and reports on how "it does a body good" etc, etc. Should I really be making sure to add milk into my daily routine? I take extra vitamins and usually get my Calcium from other sources but am concerned I am missing out on other benefits. I completely cut coffee out of my diet, which used to be the only way I would get any milk at all during the day. Any comments?

Replies

• CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to include milk in your diet if you don't want it. Calcium fortified orange juice, calcium fortified non-dairy beverages, tofu and almonds are all great sources of calcium.
  • caitiebeth1
    Options
    For me its just an easy way to get protein...and soy milk has fiber and I really enjoy the taste. Its a treat for me.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, I am not a milk drinker. I see all the commercials and reports on how "it does a body good" etc, etc. Should I really be making sure to add milk into my daily routine? I take extra vitamins and usually get my Calcium from other sources but am concerned I am missing out on other benefits. I completely cut coffee out of my diet, which used to be the only way I would get any milk at all during the day. Any comments?

I'm your polar opposite as I have never met a dairy product I didn't like. as a woman, you should be concerned about calcium and we should all be concerned about Viatmin D. No one gets enough Vitamin D and we all need to supplement it-dairy products are all fortified with Vitamin D so it's one way to get more of this nutrient.

You don't HAVE to drink milk, but if you are not lactose-intolerant, you may want to explore other dairy products like yogurt, cheese, etc.
  • tyadrake
    tyadrake Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of cheese! I did venture and buy some "non-dairy" milk but have tried it yet. I am concerned about my calcium and Vitamin intake, thus the post. I will try the Soy milk and also try the other suggestions i have seen on here about chocolate milk after a work out. I suppose anything is better than nothing. Thank you for your suggestions!
  • anastasiawildflower
    anastasiawildflower Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Nope. You don't need it. If you want it cool. Leafy greens are the way to go with calcium. Some have even more calcium than milk with drastically lower fat, no cholesterol, and an abundance of antioxidants and fiber.

There have also been studies done that milk can leach the bones of marrow, but I forget where the article is, so we can't say that is accurate.

http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/strong_bones.html