New. Help with high fiber low calories?

mandahq
mandahq Posts: 88 Member
edited September 30 in Introduce Yourself
Hi. I just joined this site three days ago and I love it so far. I unfortunately have I.B.S. (irritable bowel syndrome) UCK! I know its fairly common so I was wondering if anyone else on this site might have it or know someone that has it and can help me. I need more fiber in my diet and I need to cut calories major.
I'm a HUGE fan of rice. I could eat that for every meal of the day. That and sushi. I also have acid reflux, and trigeminal neuralgia.
I cant eat
-pork chops, steak, or anything tough like that.
-Anything spicy
-A lot of chocolare
-A lot of corn. (even one serving upsets me sometimes)
-Cabbage, pomigranites ( no idea how to spell that)
-a lot of dairy products
-Avoid citrus

And that is all I can think of off the top of my head. I'm going to be starting back in school in september. Snacks are better then meals. I'll need meal ideas for night but I plan on just snacking throughout the day then a good dinner :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

<3 MandahQ <3

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    F Factor cereals and bars are high fiber low calorie. http://www.ffactor.com/
  • kaaatielove
    kaaatielove Posts: 248 Member
    the fiberOne 90 calorie chocolate brownies are excellent!!! :)

scratch that i just saw CANT eat. :( sorry
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    I have IBS too...

Kashi products, especially cereals. Can you do lactose free milk? Any of the veggies and fruits that you can handle. Also, I have ground flaxseed that I put into everything. Extra fiber. I'll send you a friend invite so you can look at my diary if you'd like. IGNORE TODAY- I lost my mind a little. I reset my goals to get 25g of fiber minimum a day.
  • WiiFitFan
    WiiFitFan Posts: 156 Member
    Have you tried a high fiber bread or multi-grain sandwich thins? You also need to be taking a probiotic to help balance your gut flora. You can get probiotic supplements over the counter. They usually have the same types of good bacteria found in yogurt. What about a fiber supplement?
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Also, kick out white rice/white breads and move to brown rice and whole wheat. If you HAVE to have white bread, do Whitewheat as it has extra fiber. HTH
  • nlessar
    nlessar Posts: 3
    Ghossains Bakery- whole wheat 6" thinbread- 55 calories with 12gms protein and 8 gms fiber. Make a wrap everyday for lunch and sometime just snack on a piece. We order online: www.ghossainsbakery.com. THey make 13" thin bread too and we make our own flatbread pizzas- (90 calories )
    Make your own Cranberry, cashew and almond snack mix
    Luna bars are delicious
    Make oatmeal from scratch with strawberries or blueberries and a packet of Splenda and cinnamon
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Oatmeal with blueberries, apples, really any produce with skin on it, beans, lentils, chick peas. I also eat a low carb tortilla that is high in fiber.
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Orowheat makes a delicious Double Fiber bread, and I also order bread from the Julian Bakery. It's delicious and there is a 125 bread that has 14 grams of fiber AND as much protein as an egg!

Have you tried putting Honey in your tea or on your toast? It can really help your digestion - and boost your immunity as well!
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Have you tried metamucil or benefiber (mix in water or juice) I have taken. I had to take with my pregnancy and I took for awhile after. Made me feel great. My fiance would make fun of me, but I did feel great. Just need to make sure you drink alot of water.

It also has TONS of benefits. It will lower bad cholesterol, If you take before a meal will make you fuller quicker and absord extra fat from your food and diet. it cleans your system (and I don't mean clean your system out: it acts as almost a sponge and will soak up and trap toxins in your intestines)

I also have heard from a DR. that if you take daily your risk of colon cancer is GREATLY reduced: this is good because after breast cancer for women and testicular cancer in men is the third most common kind of cancer. (1 in every 3 women will get cancer and 1 out of 2 men.)

a serving size has aprox 30 calories and you can get in sugar free
  • mandahq
    Ive never tried lactose free milk. I have 1% at home and I just drink very little of it.
  • mandahq
    I cant eat brown rice it taste like cardboard to me. I was going to try riced cauliflower. I eat brown bread even though i much prefer white. not a huge fan of oatmeal or honey. I like honey in tea but I cant handle caffieen very well. even the caffieen free stuff still bothers me sometimes. :/ I was looking at the benefiber but im not completely sure on it. I only just started drinking more water in the day. normally I drank alot of juice and i mean the high sugar fruit juices. Im sticking with crystal light now. I cant handle apple, peach, orange juice and due to certain medicine cant have grapefruit.
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    My IBS symptoms have almost disappeared since I made the following changes:

Absolutely NO soda. Period.
    At least 2 quarts of water each day. Preferably more.
    Probiotic supplement ... I use digestive advantage for IBS. http://www.amazon.com/Digestive-Advantage-Intensive-Support-Capsules/dp/B0007IQMVG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311873706&sr=8-1
    NO dairy.
    NO soy.
    Yes to almond milk as a substitute for cow's milk.
    Minimal amounts of wheat and then only whole grain.
    Best breakfast = oats cooked with almond milk and topped with diced dried fruit.
    Lots and lots of fresh veggies.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Try the Whitewheat bread. It is for all purposes white bread, but has fiber. I can't do soda either. Luckily, I can do dairy so I'm BIG on yogurt. Brown rice is definitely an acquired taste; I mix it with sauteed veggies and love it. Really push the water, it helps so much.

IBS really requires a change in diet. You'll have to really work at adapting your tastes to foods that won't leave you bent over in pain. My gastrointerologist diagnosed me when I was in undergrad, about 11 years ago. My diet is NOTHING like it used to be, but my IBS is diet managed without meds and without pain. Only if I leave my blueprint am I in misery. Good luck on your changes!
This discussion has been closed.