Help me understand please :)

Options
So I recieved a Polar FT4 for my birthday yesterday. I have tried 3 different workouts with it and I am totally shocked by the results. I do 30 Day Shred, sweat like an animal.. totally out of breath -_- and burn 181 calories. I do 6 week 6 pack, in pain, abs burning, dripping everywhere LOL and burn 231 calories. Then, at night I do leslie sansone 3 mile walk, and burn 283 calories!! But barely break a sweat? I mean, im breathing heavy but absolutely NOTHING like I am when I'm doing my Jillian Dvds, and burn way more. I know thats a whole bunch of info, so here it is summed up.

30 Day Shred (level 1) - 27 minutes, 181cals burned
6 Week 6 Pack (level 1)- 34 minutues, 231cals burned
Leslie Sansone 3 mile walk- 45 minutes, 283cals burned

btw i am 5'3 and 138

ANY INFO WOULD BE APPRECIATED<3 just to help me understand.

Replies

• camille97
    camille97 Posts: 91
    Options
    I guess the longer you do an activity, the more you burn...
  • nothankscake
    Options
    Maybe the first two are building more muscle, which revs up your metabolism, so don't skip em :)
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    I can't remember what moves are in that level of 30DS, but when I do mat work I notice my HR monitor doesn't always register correctly. For example when I lay on my stomach for "supermans" my HR reads as 70ish. Def. not the case!
  • GypsyRose25
    GypsyRose25 Posts: 407
    Options
    Are you using the chest strap or the the wrist band for the HRM?
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    if you calculate the calories/minute, you'll find the first two burn more, but because the third take so much longer, you burn more calories.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I think your HRM is probably right. I have the same one as you. I've been told that activities in your "burning zone" burn more calories than those out of the zone. So it's possible that on your walk, your body is in that zone for a longer period of time, leading to more calories burned. This is probably true since the other workouts are DVDs with periods of intense moves and then some slower downtime, where it's possible you're under your burning zone or even over, both of which will burn less calories than if you are right in your burning zone.
  • jtalbot06
    jtalbot06 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have read that if you weigh approx 150 lbs you will burn about 500 calories per hour with 30 day shred. This is about 167 for 20 minutes. So I would say that you are in the ballpark. Though I agree.. If you sweat that bad (like I do) you would think the calorie burn would be higher. Just remember that you are building great muscle which is what that exercise is great for!
  • PeytonSwan
    PeytonSwan Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    So you are building up more muscle in the first two exercises and that definitely is good 'cause if you would just work on your condition you would soon just become flabby and maybe be fit but some spots wouldn't "sit" right.
    Just wanted to say that it's good, because you sounded a little bit disappointed why the first two exercises burn off such less calories !

I would recommend you to go swimming , there you've got toning + condition in one and you can burn up to 400 calories per hour.
  • jtucker42
    jtucker42 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Does the FT4 track heart rate zones?

Sounds like you might be in the anaerobic training zone during the higher intensity workouts and in the aerobic/recovery zone when doing the other workouts. The aerobic zones (70-80 max HR) and recovery zones (60-70 max HR) are, from what I've read, the most efficient zones for burning calories.

I'm not an expert in this, but I am a slave to my HRM and try to stay at 70-75% max when exercising.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    it has to do with the length of time. the walking is still a workout, you are breathing heavy and also doing it for almost twice as long as the thirty day shred.

the heart rate monitor is the reason that all i do is walk now. lol.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Don't be disappointed! Both , JM DVDs and LS walking are great work outs, just different! The DVDs will help you build muscle and stamina, tone you all over and the more strenght training you do the longer the after burn is. The walk burns here and now and not much after you are done.
  • mandiex0
    mandiex0 Posts: 174
    Options
    TTotally makes sense. Thanks so much, I was confused
  • demonNIИ
    demonNIИ Posts: 187
    Options
    I have the same HRM mine is reading high 80% of the time and I think it's right because all my spin classes are around the same since day1 Depends on the instructor...I can tell how many I'm going to burn just by seeing who is at the front of the room when I walk in.
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    If you look at the numbers you posted you are actually brunung the same ammount of calories about 6per min. The HRM bases cal burned off your heart rate, with Jillians videos there are times when you slow down (strength) and times your heart speeds up (cardio) you feel warmer becasue sweat builds up with a high heart rate but continues to come out of your pores for quite a while.

So even though you may feel you are working harder at one over the course of your workout your heart works the same.

I hope this helps a little, keep up the great work :)
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    the 3 mile is longer so more time to burn more.
  • mandiex0
    mandiex0 Posts: 174
    Options
    If you look at the numbers you posted you are actually brunung the same ammount of calories about 6per min. The HRM bases cal burned off your heart rate, with Jillians videos there are times when you slow down (strength) and times your heart speeds up (cardio) you feel warmer becasue sweat builds up with a high heart rate but continues to come out of your pores for quite a while.

So even though you may feel you are working harder at one over the course of your workout your heart works the same.

I hope this helps a little, keep up the great work :)

that makes so much sense :P thanks for helping me understand!