Don't know how to calculate my macro ratios

Options
Magiclint
Magiclint Posts: 11 Member
Hi all.
Just started on here. Been going to the gym for a month now and now need to sort out my nutrition. Problem is, I don't know what my macros should be.
I'm male, 5'10", 195lb and want to drop around 30lb plus build muscle. I do 30 mins cardio and free and cable weights 6 days a week. I just don't know what percent my protein, carbs and fat need to be.
Advice welcome!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,998 Member
    Options
    40C/30F/30P is a good start.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    MFP sets up a default split for all new users, which should work fine for most people when they're starting out. However, If you want to get more specific, it's a better idea to calculate your protein and fat based on grams instead of a percentage of your total. You can start with 0.8g of protein per pound of body weight, and 0.4g of fat per pound of body weight. Treat those as minimums, so it's okay to go over. Fill in the rest with carbs.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    40C/30F/30P

I do this.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    Mine is 35C and P and 30F.
  • amario742005
    amario742005 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do the 40C/30F/30P so far so good here, since march until today I lost 63 pounds.
  • Magiclint
    Magiclint Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback. Looks like 40C/30F/30P is popular. Working on that formula I get close to your results Alice, so I think I'll go with that.
    The only conflicting thing I've found is that some formulas get you to calculate grams based on current body weight, and some on ideal body weight, which of course both bring different results.
    How about cardio? I'm currently doing the 5K Runner app, which starts off as 1min run, 2 mins walk, repeated for around 30 mins. But I've also mixed it up with HIIT, doing 1 min walk, 1 min sprint for 10 mins. What cardio works best for you?