anyone taking Qysemia?

Options
My Endocrinologist just put me on Qysemia. Anyone out there use it? I was on WW for 5.5 months and lost nothing, even with exercise 4-5 days /week. She thinks its familial genetics, which such for me as most of the women in my family are large. Go!

Replies

• Lannie79
    Lannie79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I can ok it a few years ago. It did nothing for me...no change. Sounds like your doc is willing to explore options to assist. Good luck.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    maryhlee5 wrote: »
    My Endocrinologist just put me on Qysemia. Anyone out there use it? I was on WW for 5.5 months and lost nothing, even with exercise 4-5 days /week. She thinks its familial genetics, which such for me as most of the women in my family are large. Go!

Have you ever tried weighing and logging your food honestly and accurately and counting calories? Have you ever worked out the calories you need to lose weight and stuck to those numbers for a good amount of time?
  • maryhlee5
    maryhlee5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes.....did the point system with WW.....nothing. Have been using this app for the past 2 weeks. Striving between 1200-1300 calories. VERY discouraged.....diet meds is a last resort for me.....2 docs recommended it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    maryhlee5 wrote: »
    Yes.....did the point system with WW.....nothing. Have been using this app for the past 2 weeks. Striving between 1200-1300 calories. VERY discouraged.....diet meds is a last resort for me.....2 docs recommended it.

That is so weird. I'd be curious to know what the doctor diagnoses you with.

Sorry, i wasnt able to answer your question about Qysemia.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Were you weighing everything with a food scale?

I've taken topamax which is a component of qysmia, I would never reccomend it. Very scary drug with scary side effects. There is a reason it is nicknamed dop-a-max. It literally made me forget words. I got in my car one day and forgot where I was going. Do not drive on this medication until you know how it effects you.
  • vvickiee
    vvickiee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I took it a couple years ago but I got a stomach bug a few weeks in so I didn't take it for a week. The dr basically told me I had to start all over bc I missed that time
  • DebBalzer
    DebBalzer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I literally just started taking Qysmia today. I am excited as I have Hashimoto and have only gained weight on WW, and other diets. I've joined MyFitnessPal, and have committed to a low calorie diet along with more movement to help me move my 60+ pounds I need to drop. Good luck - and feel free to stay in touch with me.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Were you weighing everything with a food scale?.
    Adding -go get a food scale at any store. They are next to the measuring cups. Log honestly, every bite. Doctors know about this program and may ask for a printout.
  • lbobuchowski
    lbobuchowski Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I took Qsymia 3.5 years ago. It took building up to a pretty high dosage but it did help me lose weight when I was at my personal highest dosage. Had to stop taking it at my highest dosage because I had some neurological side effects (chin and eye twitching). It didn't help me as much when the dosage was reduced. I was also doing weight training and cardio 6 days/week and sticking to the meal plan my dietician gave me. It is only an enhancer, so don't rely on it without the other components to lose weight. Good luck!
  • svel713
    svel713 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Two weeks isn't a lot if time considering daily waste and water fluctuations. I weigh around 100 and can easily bloat up 2-5lbs in a day due to salt, food volume, or my period.

Add in plateaus as long as 2 months and you can see why people give up before they get scale-visible results.

Weigh eveything and keep going and you will see some kind of weight loss at maximum by the 3rd month. The longer the plateau, the bigger the weight loss woosh. You could wait forever and lose 5lbs overnight as your body catches up to your habits.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Before jumping to meds I would buy a food scale (costs 10 quid only).
  • marcyg822
    marcyg822 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did a drug study 9 years ago and lost 60 lbs with what i snow Qsymia. Whe the drug went on the market, my Dr. would not give it to me. Needless to say, I regained all the weight plus. Now, my endocrinologist is starting a bariatric practice. She wanted to put me on Qsymia since I had success with it before. I used the coupon and got the first two weeks free. Stupid insurance company covers it, but doesn't. They wanted me to try other things "first". I had already taken a weeks worth (free) by then and was doing well. I talked to my doctor and she said to just pay for it if that was a possibility. I found the best price at Sam's Club. I am on my 3rd week of diet, 2 weeks on low dose, 4 days off, then 3 days with next dose of Qsymia and I am down 14.2 lbs. I have a long way to go, but it is a good start. I am going on a cruise in 4 weeks so that will be a challend. Doing 80g protein and 100-120g carbs per day. No sugar. My blood sugar was 137 when I started.

I a very encouraged. Genetics definitely play a part. Large is ok as long as you are healthy. I am heading there. I would be happy wit size 20 and 100 blood sugar. (was size 30 when I started this)