Soy Milk

Options
Any general thoughts on the general benefit/minuses of "soy" milk? I recently stopped using dairy and switched, but I've heard a lot of anecdotal reamrks suggesting soy really isn't that healthy. Thoughts?

:glasses:

Replies

• mrhappy
    mrhappy Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Any general thoughts on the general benefit/minuses of "soy" milk? I recently stopped using dairy and switched, but I've heard a lot of anecdotal reamrks suggesting soy really isn't that healthy. Thoughts?

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Soy milk is ok, but I know a lot of people don't like it. It's also not that low-calorie compared to regular milk.

I personally use soy milk for cooking, whereas I use almond milk for drinking. Almond milk is very light in calories (40 calories for an 8oz glass), and both the chocolate and vanilla taste really good.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I have heard (no idea if this has any base in reality) that soy products mess with your hormone levels (or something to that effect). That said, I actually prefer soy milk to cow's milk, especially the chocolate kind.
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I love soy milk and you can get the light variety which has fewer calories than skim milk! As far as i know it is very healthy! So drink up! :drinker:
  • kae12
    kae12 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I drink soymilk everyday (Silk vanilla). I did some research on this because I'm a vegetarian and rely on soy for protein. You don't need to worry about the reported "dangers" of soy unless you are eating a ton of it. According to Dr. Joel Fuhrman (in an article called "Are Soy Products Healthy"):

"To summarize, there are two contradictory claims being made about soy. One is that soy is protective against breast cancer and should be recommended for consumption by healthy women and breast cancer patients. The other is that soy is harmful for women with a history of or at high risk for breast cancer and because of this should be avoided by such women. There is actually a lack of convincing evidence to endorse either claim. Beans in general have dramatic benefits to protect against breast cancer. A healthy diet includes a variety of beans, and not a disproportionate share of calories from any one food. Some soy beans or tofu added to a healthy diet should not be expected to be a risk or offer significant benefit."

Here's the link to the rest of the article if you're interested:
    https://www.drfuhrman.com/faq/question.aspx?sid=16&qindex=5

:happy:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I have heard (no idea if this has any base in reality) that soy products mess with your hormone levels (or something to that effect).

It is true, however not in "usual" amounts. People in Asia have eaten soy daily with no ill effects. The issue comes in with vegan/vegetarian diets where literally every piece of food can contain soy. It's especially bad for infants, where soy formula is all they take into their bodies - that's why soy formula is supposed to be a last resort, not a first option. In normal amounts its fine - but constantly bombarding the body with it can lead to issues.

It's because soy contains phytoestrogens, which are plant hormones. They're similar enough to human hormones that when there is a large enough amount in your body your body mistakes them for the real thing.
  • mrhappy
    mrhappy Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your intelligent comments! I like to make my diet & fitness decisions based on fact and not fad, and one of the things I appreciate about MFP'ers is they tend to do a lot of research and have data to back up their positions.

Again, I really appreciate y'alls help...

• jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Good information - posted similar question 3 weeks ago didn't get a response -

So I'm glad you posted a similar question
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    depending on your goals ....but in general Soy products are not suggested for men who are trying to maintian or increase their muscle size and density

soy is an estrogen situation and some studies indicate that soy can decrease sperm counts and interfere with male testosterone levels in a negative way.....is this true? I am not certain but I have seen more than one article and I dont see any benefits that would make the risk worth it...I avoid soy supplements
  • chantybear
    Options
    I have heard (no idea if this has any base in reality) that soy products mess with your hormone levels (or something to that effect). That said, I actually prefer soy milk to cow's milk, especially the chocolate kind.

The chocolate soy milk is so yummy!
  • chantybear
    Options
    depending on your goals ....but in general Soy products are not suggested for men who are trying to maintian or increase their muscle size and density

soy is an estrogen situation and some studies indicate that soy can decrease sperm counts and interfere with male testosterone levels in a negative way.....is this true? I am not certain but I have seen more than one article and I dont see any benefits that would make the risk worth it...I avoid soy supplements

I have heard something to that degree when I worked at a whole foods market. I would stick to almond milk or hemp milk Mr.Happy
  • onwardfatgirl
    Options
    mrhappy, soy is fine in moderation! I drink light or non-fat soymilk - check out the shelf stable ones versus the brands in the refrigerated case. Also, almond milk, hemp milk and oat milk are some of my other favorite non-dairy milks. Check your local health food stores to change it up a bit since you gave up dairy.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I've heard that also. Soy is a Pseudo-Estrogen. Therefore, it will assist women with menopause, PMS, etc. Men, shouldn't really use it unless they want boobs and TOM.:laugh: Just kidding, but, seriously it's not recommended cause it effects your levels of testosterone. Don't want to lose that sex drive now do ya?:laugh: :laugh: :bigsmile:
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Soy milk is fine in normal amount, as are soy products. But soy supplements might be something a man would want to avoid - presumably you could get really large doses of phytoestrogens that way. The studies showing negative affects because of phytoestrogens focused on really large amounts of soy, not the amounts you would get drinking a few glasses of soy milk and having a few servings of soy products a day. Besides, chocolate soy milk is yummy!
  • Julie837
    Options
    Soy milk has fiber, and milk does not, and since it has less sugar it's more filling and will take longer to digest than milk.
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    Soy protein for men is good in moderation. For men some fitness experts say it can create estrogen in men if you consume large amounts. However it can be detrimental for everyone if you consume large amounts. It can have a negative affect on your metabolism in large amounts. A doctor told me this when i asked him about protein supplements
  • wannaBme
    wannaBme Posts: 143
    Options

I looked into this for my husband. He drinks about 6 oz a day with his whey protein and has done so for about 5 years, since quitting dairy products. I found many articles that agreeing and disagree ?!?! which is very frustrating ... here's one ... http://www.soymilkquick.com/shouldmenworry.php

PS ... all his body body parts are highly functioning:love: