Reheating meal preps

Magiclint
Magiclint Posts: 11 Member
Hi all.
So last night I made a meal prep consisting of chicken, brown rice and veggies. It's in the fridge, and I plan on re-heating tonight for dinner. However, I don't know the best or safest way. Is microwaving it safe? If I put it back in a pan I'm worried it will burn the rice and veggies. Also, I thought you couldn't reheat chicken.
Help?!

Replies

• tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    if u reheat it u may need to add a tablespoon or two of water so it doesnt dry out
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    I microwave all my prepped foods - no problem.

Give it a good blast, about 20-25% more than you think you might need and let is rest for a little while before tucking in (so that the heat is nice and even - no cool spots). If you've got vegetables in there you'll probably be OK without adding any extra water but it's not going to hurt if you do.
  • Magiclint
  • hmrayburn
    hmrayburn Posts: 3 Member
    Put it in a microwave safe container or just on a plate that isn't plastic. You can definitely reheat cooked chicken (it lasts 3-5 days), just don't refreeze raw chicken after thawing.
  • Magiclint
    hmrayburn wrote: »
    ...just don't refreeze raw chicken after thawing.

Okay, so if I get fresh chicken breast, cook it up for meal prep and then freeze it, I can then put it in the fridge the day before eating it to thaw before reheating.

But what about if you buy frozen chicken, cook it up for meal prep and THEN freeze it? Is that classed as refreezing raw chicken because in theory it's been frozen, then cooked, then frozen again.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited June 2017
    hmrayburn wrote: »
    ...just don't refreeze raw chicken after thawing.

Okay, so if I get fresh chicken breast, cook it up for meal prep and then freeze it, I can then put it in the fridge the day before eating it to thaw before reheating.

But what about if you buy frozen chicken, cook it up for meal prep and THEN freeze it? Is that classed as refreezing raw chicken because in theory it's been frozen, then cooked, then frozen again.

No, freezing cooked chicken is perfectly safe even if it is chicken that had been frozen before when it was raw.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    OP, you may have heard you can't reheat chicken because microwaving it can make it taste a little gamey. Some people are more sensitive to it than others.

If you find that the change in flavor bothers you, try topping it with a flavorful, low calorie condiment like salsa or mustard. Alternately, you can just eat it cold - that's what I usually do!
  • HockeyGoalie35
    HockeyGoalie35 Posts: 84 Member
    I prefer warming things in the oven. Meat doesn't get as chewy and veggies don't get as soggy like in a microwave