When doing two a days, is it best to rework the same group, or something else?

Options
I tend to work each group once a week (Leg Day, Back and Bis, Chest and Tris) and add a forth day of full body at about 70%. I do a core routine daily at work over lunch with some coworkers (perk of being in the military, you can work out at work and no one gives you *kitten*). Some days I think of adding an afternoon session if I have nothing going on, or I want the endorphin high again. I don't plan on it being a regular addition to my routine, however on the few days I do decide to get a second work out in, what's recommended, work on the group I was doing in the morning, or change it up?

Replies

• richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    When in doubt, ask Lyle:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/two-a-day-training-in-the-weight-room-part-1.html

I have had decent results from using a same muscle group, light a.m., heavy p.m. split. My morning work would be mobility and high-rep, submax-effort machines and dumbbells to get volume up without too much stress on CNS and joints. Basically just above the threshold of what Lyle would call "pissing around with irrelevant intensities." The morning session does not generate a significant recovery component and allows me to still hit my "real" workout in the evening. Careful though, it can easily lead to overuse and under-recovery issues.