7. something miles an hour on a bike

Options
I just got a bike, I used to love riding and rode with my kids a lot when they still wanted me around but this morning I decided to ride and every hill no matter how tiny killed me. Then after I ride three and a half miles I come home and log it just to find out that the speed I was going is considered leisurely on here. Lol! I am dying and sweating like crazy but apparently it was just a leisurely ride. Maybe it didn't help that it is so humid here that I had to wipe the drops of water off my bike when I started.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    If you haven't done a certain exercise in awhile it will seem taxing. Just keep doing it, it will get better! Yay you!
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Yes, 7 mph is generally considered leisurely, even though you were working hard. Don't put too much stock in what MFP says about exercise.

What sort of bike is it--i.e., is it a 35-lb. single-speed cruiser from WallyWorld, or a name-brand bike such as Trek with multiple gears? That can make a lot of difference. Regardless, keep after it, and you'll get faster and conquer the hills.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Good for you. It will eventually get better as your legs get stronger. What kind of bike do you have? If you don't have a bike with multiple gears that may be a worthwhile investment if you think you're going to want to ride bikes a lot and if you are in a hilly area. I live in northeast PA. Very little flat areas around LOL.

I have a mountain bike and I just love it. It was the best money I ever spent. I spent more on it than most people spend a bike for riding casually, but I wanted a bike that would last and would be easier to navigate the terrain with. It is so worth it and everyone who rides my bike is jealous of it LOL it has such a smooth ride.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You have to build your fitness.

Also, MFP is considering it "leisure" because of the average MPH...MFP doesn't know if you're climbing, etc. When you're climbing hills, obviously your average MPH is going to suffer. I do hill repeats about once per week and my average MPH is pretty low, but it's far from a leisurely workout. MFP is basically assuming you're on flats going about 7 MPH, which would be a leisurely ride...on flats I average around 16-18 MPH for an endurance ride...basically a pace I can cruise at for hours. The bike makes a difference too...I have a carbon road bike, so it's pretty light...I lose about 3 MPH when I cruise on my CX bike.

• lovinghixon
    lovinghixon Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I don't remember the brand name of the bike but it wasn't the cheapest nor the most expensive. I think we paid $300 for it. It does have gears, more than I am used to having and I still haven't figured out the best way to use them. I averaged 9.4 on my third mile which was mostly flat but I was dying by then. I wish I could find a route that wasn't so full of hills but I haven't had any luck no matter which way I try to go. I am going to stick with it for sure, I will be happy when it is enjoyable for me again though.
  • GrayRider61
    GrayRider61 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    It gets easier. I walked many a hill at first. Actually, I'm in better riding shape at 56 than I was in my early 40s. Hills are pretty tough (even small ones) when you're starting out.