Your opinions please...

Options
MzBug
MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
I just found out that my guy will be out of town (Secret Squirrel stuff) for a month later this year. I would like to tone up (abs, arms, legs) while he is gone and make it a suprise. I would like to know what 30/60 day program produces the best results, and why you think so. I have a few issues to take into consideration 1. I am not in the greatest of shape, I have been using resistance bands but haven't snapped any yet. 2. I have bad knees so it can't be high impact or repetitive weighted movements (squats etc). 3. I have a bad disk in my low back that causes sciatica on occasion. 4. I am unemployed, so it has to be cheap. 5. I would prefer it not be Jillian Michaels because I would put either a fist or foot through the tv into her face. So, what's your opinion?

Replies

• InStabilityKills
    Options
    I have no solution for you but I would like to agree to the Jillian Michaels Comment because I feel the same!
  • kikiwinks
    kikiwinks Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Denise Austin has low impact dvd's. If you are wanting a dvd I suggest www.collagevideo.com. They tell you what type of exercise it is as well as what equipment is used. And you can read other's reviews of the workouts.
  • ACF2
    ACF2 Posts: 51
    Options
    good call on that beast jillian- run your *kitten* off... thats the best for tone and firmness-2 to3mil a day should do it
    also go to around 1550 cal a day and no boozin- youll look great!
  • jstalbird
    jstalbird Posts: 1
    Options
    The best low impact exercise is walking. Get yourself some fast paced music and work up to two or so miles. It is great for legs and butt. Folloow fittness pal for caLORIE COUNTS. GOOD LUCK
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    There is no "quick fix" to get you toned up in 30 days. I take strength classes at my gym and do yoga. I'm not sure what area you live in, but there are often cheap and/or free yoga classes if you look hard enough, and I have several back/neck problems, which I have slowly learned to adjust my exercises for. So, use your internet resources, basically, to find something that can work for you.
  • mjmoore8480
    Options
    I have led armchair aerobics at a previous job I had- I know that it sounds like it does nothing but I toned up quite a bit just by leading the class. You can find step by step instructions online by googling it. you dont get much cardio, but you can get that by walking or swimming. if you have a state park near you with a swimming area, see if your library has a state park pass available for checkout- that way you can avoid the parking fee. Hope this helps!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Ok, a few other things... I have lost 75 pounds in the last year (I jiggle a lot and have another 75 to go), I do the 3 mile Super Fat Burning Leslie Sansone with 2 pound weights 4-5 times a week, walk outside when the weather cooperates, there are no locations for public swimming within 40 miles (I would be on that like white on rice!), I have a Wii Fit Plus, an exercise ball and a set of resistance bands. Suggestions?
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I was going to recommend Leslie Sansone, but it sounds like you're already on that train.

How about yoga? There are some really good DVDs around. I hear it's perfect for toning.
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    If you have back issues you should probably get some professional advice with regards to programs, you dont want to make everything worse.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    The Insanity workout at beachbody.com is a 60 days program. Its major cardio & a real killer. You can always do P90X which I prefer, but it’s a 90 program. Very doable, but remember…., nutrition is everything!!!
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    30 day shred with jillian micheals
  • kikiwinks
    kikiwinks Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Strength training will help tone you up, but you will need heavier weights than 2lbs. Also, maybe an elliptical or bicycle. I'm sure you could fine an affordable, used one on Craigslist or Ebay.