OMG, Everyone looking for motivation

Options
Rick_1953
Rick_1953 Posts: 596 Member
Just going to be brutally honest about the subject of motivation. Motivation alone will not get you off your butt.

Look in the mirror, do you like what you see. Do you like how you feel, are you at risk of an illness or other health problems. There is your WHY.

You need desire and discipline and you need to stop putting it off and making excuses.

Good health and fitness can be had by anyone that chooses to have a healthier lifestyle at any age or any time.

Motivation doesn't last, determination does

Replies

• Lynnara
    Lynnara Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Have to say I agree with this at the fundamental level. I think most people use 'motivation' and 'support' more interchangeably though, and they are needing to know they aren't alone. I can only motivate myself, but it sure is nice knowing I can find some inspiration and support here.
  • Stucktastic
    Stucktastic Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Great mental nourishment. Thank you to all posters.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    Well one can "desire" or "want" something, but if they aren't motivated, it's likely not going to happen. For instance lots of people would like to play the piano. Meaning they have the desire and want for it, but it they aren't motivated to take lessons to learn it, it ain't gonna happen.
    I don't think desire, want, motivation, discipline are mutually exclusive from each other. But it's true that people can lose motivation if results or losing interest happens. At that point hopefully they are COMMITTED to the process.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,376 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of you. Someone may be able to motivate me into trying something a little scary or new, or call & say "lets go to the gym" or such but commitment & habit & knowing what I want is what keeps me going. I think its true that ppl do what they really WANT to do
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I think others can motivate us though. Seeing other people succeed and make good choices Spurs us on and we know we can do it!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    dhimaan wrote: »
    I just don't understand how random internet strangers on your friend list will provide you with 'motivation'. Are these people at my house at 3 am cheering me on when i wake up to go to the gym? No. Bottom line I don't like the way look and know that I have to keep grinding until I do. No amount of friends or motivation can push me to do it.
    This. Motivation is internal. One can be inspired, cheered on, challenged, etc., but if not personally motivated themselves, it's not gonna happen.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Luna3386 wrote: »
    I think others can motivate us though. Seeing other people succeed and make good choices Spurs us on and we know we can do it!
    I would call that inspiration and uplifting. Not necessarily motivational.
    When a client get disheartened by results, I don't give them motivation. I give them inspiring words to help them push on. And I usually relate to their past successes to do it. If they don't respond (which for some who quit on me has happened), it's not because I wasn't motivational enough. It's because they weren't motivated to continue.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It's partly semantics. Semantics is also partly individual. And can change as we get new information and our opinions shift. I haven't really liked the word motivation for a while. Right now: I prefer to understand motivation as internal vs external.

I'm mostly motivated internally. I don't "need" a friends list to cheer me on. But sometimes internal/external overlap, for instance when I get the drive to clean my apartment before I'm having visitors, because I don't want them to think I'm a slob. When it comes to healthy eating, for me, prevention of weight problems and disease are external motivators. I don't want to think too much about those things, because when I do, I get depressed and scared and overwhelmed, and tend to overeat to ease the mental pressure. Internal motivators to eat well and move more, are eating great food and feeling great from day to day. But if I eat great food, and move every day, I will feel well from day to day, and I will also keep a healthy weight and avoid some preventable diseases.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I agree that determination and discipline is what make things happen. However, being motivated is not just being cheered on.
    In my personal experience, I have the discipline to get up and work out every day, but being here on itself helps me keep my head in the game and push harder. And yeah there's no motivation in the world that will push you to make things happen if you don't really want it, but every little bit helps.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't see how asking for outside motivation will get anyone anywhere, I believe that your drive to succeed must come from within you.

But I totally get the posts for "support". Support and motivation are two different things, so I'm all for accepting friend requests from people that want a support system. It's nice to feel surrounded by people that get what you're going through. And having a safe space to vent.

I once heard of MFP called "Facebook for fat people." (Yes not everyone is trying to lose weight on here). But I loved that name! It's true. The posts, likes, and comments feed on your home screen feel a lot like FB, but on here you can lay out our weight/health/fitness issues bare without fear of being judged or shunned or looking like a fool.
    And hey, maybe when you see people's updates about their losses or workouts or day to day life and struggles on your feed then it will help KEEP you motivated. But the INITIAL motivation has to come from within each of us if we are going to reach our goals.

I believe "motivation -> determination-> motivation -> determination" in a cycle is what gets us through. Sometimes we have both at the same time, sometimes it's one or the other and if you hold on long enough they keep us going. Some days I don't really feel motivated, I feel bummed or irritated but I'm DETERMINED to not quit. I Will. Not. Quit. And some days I'm bouncing around happy, no determination needed, head full of fluffy Pinterest motivational posters and that's all I need.
  • MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    My Rick schooling them
  • amysteri
    amysteri Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I understand why people are looking for motivation... some people might be battling depression especially when it comes to weight loss. Everyone here is fighting their own battles so tearing them down when they're asking for help won't do anyone any good.

But I agree that outside motivation won't do much unless they have the will to make the change themselves. One thing they need is commitment. And some lack that. So no amount of outside motivation will help if they themselves can't commit to the workout/diet plan that they're on. Some say they want to lose weight but are too tired to exercise or log food daily. And these people can't be helped by anyone typing on a keyboard, they need to help themselves first.

But sometimes, it doesn't hurt to pat someone on the back and say good job on logging in your food diary consistently, good job on that weight loss or gain, or something like that. That's kinda why MFP is a communtiy right? It doesn't hurt to be kind :smile:
  • ironjay37
    ironjay37 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Great post Rick
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I actually agree. I've been noticing a plethora of "need motivation" threads and I find myself cynically thinking "if you don't have it inside of yourself, you're not likely to make it." You need more than motivation, you need determination, discipline, drive, willpower, and commitment to yourself. External motivation doesn't really equal commitment without the others. That being said, my daughter is one of my reasons why--I want to be healthy to be there for her and to lead her by example. My determination, discipline, drive, willpower, and commitment to myself are all a part of that.
  • CPFitnessIsFun
    CPFitnessIsFun Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree to a point. Your own motivation and determination will get you to where you want and need to be. However, there are days where you just need a pep talk or just to vent and have someone say I hear ya I have been there. Some of us do not always have that friend/family member that they can discuss some of the challenges they are going through. I may not always respond to post but I for one like to see that others are as challenged as I am to keep pushing ahead and striving towards my goals. It is nice to know that you are not alone and others have been able to do something (Like get through a never ending plateau :) )