Lower calorie tortilla chips?

Options
jae41
jae41 Posts: 9 Member
Any tortilla chips out there that are lower in calories? At 150 calories per serving, it's a lot for some nachos!

Replies

• dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Yes I second @Alateriel75's post. I buy sprouted corn tortillas at a local Super Market, cut them into triangles and put them on a cookie sheet, squeeze a bit of lime juice on them (or just rub a cut lime), lightly dust with salt and ground pepper and bake at 400 degrees F for 8 minutes. The last minute I start watching them until they get to the desired level of brown-ness. I like mine a bit darker. The brand I get uses no oil, and 2 tortillas are 120 calories, which translates into anywhere from 16 to 24 tortilla chips depending on how big you cut your triangles. Extremely easy to prepare and they taste way better than anything you can buy in a bag.

https://www.amazon.com/Food-Life-Tortillas-Sprouted-Organic/dp/B000RERU4S
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    ah god I'm too lazy for that. Make me some.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Ha! I get that. But spending a few extra minutes in the kitchen is like spending time in the gym. That little bit of investment pays off in spades on the back end. And the food tastes that much better when you have a bit of sweat equity into it...
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I found some tortilla chips called beanitos, they only have about 5 ingredients (black beans is the first) 1 oz is about 140 calories but they are higher in fiber and have 5 gams of protein. I thought they were yummy.
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    jae41 wrote: »
    Any tortilla chips out there that are lower in calories? At 150 calories per serving, it's a lot for some nachos!

From your lips to God's ears.

I second beanitos. But I admit to working in corn tortilla chips this week. I don't do it all of the time, but sometimes, I just need my chips, even if it's only 10.

• jae41
    jae41 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!
  • bbell1985
    Options
    dmkoenig wrote: »

Ha! I get that. But spending a few extra minutes in the kitchen is like spending time in the gym. That little bit of investment pays off in spades on the back end. And the food tastes that much better when you have a bit of sweat equity into it...

I could just eat something else as well.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Baked Tostitos scoops. I make a freaking mean plate of nachos with those. I also second cutting up tortillas but I nuke them 2 minutes.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I never thought of using the microwave- i am going to do that today!
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options

Hot dog salad. BOOM.
  • TeresaB12345
    TeresaB12345 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Tostitos has a thin version where you get a lot more chips per serving and they taste good as well
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    kavahni wrote: »
    Baked Tostitos scoops. I make a freaking mean plate of nachos with those. I also second cutting up tortillas but I nuke them 2 minutes.

These.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Leanitup: you are just a nut for hot dog salad, aren't you? I'm very fond of hamburger salad, but I think I could get on the hot dog salad bandwagon.
  • bbell1985
    Options

Hot dog salad. BOOM.

Exactly. I could have a giant hot dog salad in 5 minutes for the same amount of calories it takes me to cut up and bake a stupid tortilla and be hungry in 2 minutes after I eat it.