Does anyone else find that having money ends up making you gain weight

Options

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Extra money might mean I treat myself to some meals out- but generally it's not something high calorie if I'm splurging. Its Vietnamese, or poke, or sushi.

Usually I spend it on fabric or fiber arts supplies or my animals. Sometimes kitchen equipment.

It's all about reteaching yourself how to budget. I keep an eye on what I have, what I'm spending weekly (I get paid monthly), and how much I can afford to spend and still pay my bills.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    When I have extra money, I will I actually tend to stick to healthier organic stuff since I can load up and sample new things.

But honestly, I'm too busy shopping for make up, clothes, shoes, and other things I don't need rather than overeat/eat poorly. It definitely doesn't get spent on food.
  • raleighgirl09
    raleighgirl09 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    When I can afford it, I try something fresh and new. Maybe I will have garlic prawns with a homemade pesto. Or a great cut of steak with grilled veggies. Having more money available makes eating healthier easier and more fun. It's when I have to watch my budget that it's more challenging to eat better.

Same for me. When I was going through a tough time years ago, financially, I vowed to myself that when I had more money, I would eat quality food. I do that now and I end up spending more. Now - if I eat more quality calories than I can use, I'll gain weight. Not too much different about that reality.
  • FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    If weight gain came from having too much money, then I should be the richest mother *kitten* on this whole damn board.
  • ayuri17
    ayuri17 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If your main problem is budgeting and not so much binge eating, Reddit's r/personalfinance is very helpful. If you learn to manage your money in a smart way, maybe you'll spend less on excess food?
  • erienneb66
    erienneb66 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If anyone is willing to donate me money I'd be willing to test this hypothesis. For science.

For real, though, I eat worse when I have less $ because dollar menus are a thing.
  • cashcash12
    cashcash12 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    More Money leads to more Relatives & more Relatives leads to more food :-)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    That's a new excuse. Haven't heard that one before. I'm overweight because I have too much money.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Better figure this out now because Freshman 15. Common factors that contribute to it:

1. Eating out too often, and it usually consists of high calorie 3 course dishes. Got to have that extra cheesy nachos with heaping amounts of sour cream...for appetizers! Same with the university cafeteria.
    2. Going automatically to the vending machine or cafe between class and study breaks.
    3. Sitting for hours in lectures, then sitting for hours studying. Little to no movement everyday.

It's fine to do each of these things every once in a while, but easily fixable if you have self control issues. No matter what any university student says, you will have time to plan out your meals and snacks for the week. Make a list, and don't deviate from it. when eating at restaurants, buy low calorie healthier dishes and/or share food with friends. Same with cafes and vending machines - swap your snickers-unicorn-happy go lucky Frappuccino for regular coffee and cream. Not only are those drinks and snacks calorie bombs, they're wallet bombs as well. College life can be pricey, you want to save that money as much as possible for somethingbmore important.

Oh, and move more. Studying on campus? Get up every 20 minutes to jog or do jumping jacks in place. Don't worry about what other people think - chances are they have their faces buried in their books or laptops.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Well if you look at society, poorer people have higher obesity issues than those who are well above the poverty line.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Bulllsh$#%%!

Developed countries are the fattest countries.

Some exception are the South Pacific, who were taught the "Western ways of eating".

The list of the least obese countries comprised of third world countries.

13 JUNE 2017
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/maps-and-graphics/the-most-obese-fattest-countries-in-the-world/
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    That's a new excuse. Haven't heard that one before. I'm overweight because I have too much money.

:D

Maybe you're eating the money..money has a high carb content you know :D

Yeah, but low net carbs, 'cause of all the fiber
  • WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    How is it that you all of a sudden "have money" due to going to university? I all of a sudden had a whole lot LESS money when I went to school. Do you not need to save that money to buy books and pay lab fees and stuff?
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    How is it that you all of a sudden "have money" due to going to university? I all of a sudden had a whole lot LESS money when I went to school. Do you not need to save that money to buy books and pay lab fees and stuff?

Scholarship, grants, financial aids, loans, work study, etc.

I also started having a lot more money in my first year college. Enough to get me my own compact car.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Um. What?
  • kpkitten
    kpkitten Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It's a bit different having money of your own when you live in your parents home and have meals cooked for you, to when your money is providing everything you live off.
    I get the impression you still live at home and this will be the first time you're looking after yourself. In that case, unless you're happy to live off bigmacs and donuts (I was a secret junk eater at school but always ate proper meals as well, but I did know people who only ate bread and chicken at uni so maybe you would be happy with that), you'll quickly realise that you need to spend money on proper food.
    When money is a luxury, it's easy to waste on things that give short term happiness. When it's a necessity, you might not make the best choices, but you're likely to make better choices because there's nobody else to make sure you get vegetables now and then!
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I am a housewife who is very budget minded when spending the family money. However, any time I've had a job and more than enough money to spend going to Starbucks everyday, eating out for three meals a day, or throwing that candy bar in the cart at the grocery store become habits. I think combined with the work stress I go overboard and the eating gets way out of control. My issue may be as much about time as money, but yes, some of us struggle with spending money on poor decisions. Whenever I have extra money from my birthday or Christmas I spend it all on fitness equipment or smaller clothes now, so not much temptation to eat it. You just have to change your focus.