Need to lose 60 pounds in 5 months, Where should I start?

Options
I'm currently 228.2lbs need to go down to 175lbs. I badly need advise on workout and motivations

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    What happens in 5 months? Is this just a goal or you trying to make weight for a sport?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    What's the rush? I think you might be expecting a bit too much to lose that amount in 5 months. 1-2lb per week is the ideal rate of loss to avoid losing muscle and maintain adequate nutrition, adjust your expectations slightly.

Set up your account accurately and honestly, eat foods you like and stick to your calorie allowance you will probably be able to lose 30-40lbs safely in the 5 months. The majority of weight loss success comes from what you do in the kitchen, not working out. Workouts just supplement your calorie allowance/increase your deficit and improve your overall fitness/health.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Three pounds a week is intense, but for some people who are very overweight it's possible. I would want to know more before giving advice.

You gave your weight, but without context it doesn't say much. May we know height?
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    I think you should start by waking up because I think you are dreaming.

While I am sure it is not impossible, I think you would be miserable. You would be tired and your skin, hair and nails will probably suffer. Slow down and make a reasonable plan then follow it.
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    Unfortunately, where to start is about 6 months ago. I agree with the above, you should aim for about half that if you want to lose it safely and permanently within the given time frame.

This link contains some of the threads considered must reads
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    For the record, I have lost a little over 50 pounds in 5 months, which works out to an average of 2.5 pounds per week. I would definitely not want to be losing any faster.

However, I started at 281.6 pounds, and the heavier you are, the safer and easier it is to lose weight quickly.

Right now you're pretty close to the same weight I am at the moment, and I have no intention to keep losing weight as fast as I was, even if I could. The weight loss is definitely slowing down now for me, which is 100% expected.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 228.2lbs need to go down to 175lbs. I badly need advise on workout and motivations

as others said, what's the rush??? what happens 5 months from now??
  • amysteri
    amysteri Posts: 197 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    junodog1 wrote: »

lol, you're funny :D
  • amysteri
    amysteri Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    OP, That weight loss seems drastic... but I don't know your situation - if you have a medical condition or something of the sort. If there is no real rush it's better to lose weight at a healthy rate by simply following the guidelines MFP gave you when you plugged in your stats. But if you're in a real hurry with this 5 month deadline you have - I suggest talking to a nutritionist to help you with your goals of weight loss.
  • nickgibbs7th
    nickgibbs7th Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've lost 14lbs scince the 17th
  • bomftdrum
    bomftdrum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    junodog1 wrote: »

While I am sure it is not impossible, I think you would be miserable. You would be tired and your skin, hair and nails will probably suffer. Slow down and make a reasonable plan then follow it.
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    Unfortunately, where to start is about 6 months ago. I agree with the above, you should aim for about half that if you want to lose it safely and permanently within the given time frame.

This link contains some of the threads considered must reads
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest

Why is this person dreaming? When I first came here, I lost 65 in 6 months and wasn't miserable at all. Matter of fact, every single thing you said the person would suffer from, I didn't suffer from. Is it aggressive, yes it is Doesn't mean it's not something this person can't achieve.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Everyone is different and I only have my two cents worth to share. One thing I did assume was that that the now absent/closed account was female also. I went thru similar weight loss quickly, using MFP to count my calories, in the past. I was 225 went down to about 185 before I stopped. My hair breakage freaked out the shampoo girl, my skin and nails sucked and I was generally miserable. I would not recommend the high calorie cut needed.

Moot point but now OP is gone. :( Dead thread to me.
  • BurgerLovinBulker
    BurgerLovinBulker Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The question is not "Can it be done?" - yes, it can just as myself and other users here have done. The question is "Why?".

So OP, before embarking on a diet that will test your mental strength and limits of your health - why not do something easier?