Does anyone else find that having money ends up making you gain weight

Options

Replies

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Being poor means you can only afford crap food. Statistically, poverty is equated to an increased incidence of obesity in the US.

http://stateofobesity.org/socioeconomics-obesity/
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I was at my heaviest when I was flat broke. Not that I'm exactly made of money now, but back then I worked long hours for little pay. The long hours meant more frequent stops at the drive thru and less time to exercise.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Rice-a-Toni and hamburger and box Mac and cheese was what I could afford for a long time, I ate it regularly and was overweight. With a little more to work with, I buy quality meats and seafood and tons of fresh veggies. So, it's the opposite for me.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Having more money now...I do spend more on food, but it's good food...protein and my supplements. Beyond that...I don't like "eating" my money. I'd rather buy something fun for myself or for my house....go to a movie or something.

Also agree that just because you have money doesn't mean it needs to be spent immediately.

There isn't anything you'd rather buy than junk and candy???
  • squirtychookgirl
    squirtychookgirl Posts: 9 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    In a way it could be true that having money could cause you to gain weight since you could purchase ANY food with gay abandon.

I have discovered the opposite though that in order to eat a healthy, well balanced diet, it can cost MORE since processed foods are generally cheaper and higher in fat, salt and sugar, the ingredients we should be trying to avoid since they do not offer the best nutrition.

It was lack of willpower and mindlessness when it comes/came to food that caused my weight gain. Now I am mindful of what I eat and have decided that I never want to be that person with a BMI of 34+ and the girth of the Michelin man.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I do eat out more when I have extra money but I also spend more money on higher quality groceries at home, workout classes, and activities.
  • pmoloney1
    pmoloney1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would never be tempted to buy candy with my money. I would buy clothing that fit my hot body from losing weight! But I guess that's your addiction...it sounds like you have a money managing problem. I suggest looking into David Ramsey's Financil Peace and get that worked out before you have that money .
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Money management and weight management are very similar problems.

Money management: have a budget; spend less than you earn
    Weight management: have a calorie allowance; eat less than you burn

Both require planning and self control. But at the end of the day, they are both simple equations.

If you're leaving for university and entering the adult world for the first time you are really going to need to learn how to responsibly manage your finances.
  • paulwatts747
    paulwatts747 Posts: 60 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Statistics show that obesity occurs at a much higher level in the less affluent areas (in generally affluent places like the US, UK and Australia that is).
  • robynsg2014
    robynsg2014 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Victoria Beckham once said "if I ever feel like chocolate, I buy a new pair of shoes"

Spend your money on something else.

FYI most people put on weight when they start university.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Well if you look at society, poorer people have higher obesity issues than those who are well above the poverty line.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Bulllsh$#%%!

Developed countries are the fattest countries.

Some exception are the South Pacific, who were taught the "Western ways of eating".

The list of the least obese countries comprised of third world countries.

13 JUNE 2017
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/maps-and-graphics/the-most-obese-fattest-countries-in-the-world/

Generally speaking, when a person says "look at society," he or she means the society in which he or she is living. Here in America, the most obese populations are in the poorest areas. I live in Southern Appalachia, where we have a) poverty b)obesity and c) one of the highest rated of diabetes in the US.

No, ovesity is not a problem in Haiti or Mozambique, there the problems are malnutrition and diseases that we prevent with good hygiene and vaccines. However, they aren't on an internet chat board asking if having money makes you fat. The answer to that in America and most developed nation's is "no, because generally more money comes from better education, including education about health and nutrition." Stop trying to pick a fight, please. Context counts.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It's not the money in the hand which causes weight gain, but rather the brain which directs the hand to put the money down, and the consequent exchange of calories for money that then occurs, which causes weight gain.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    From my experience having more money means we are able to travel more and eat out more which probably can lead to weight gain. I just have to work on moderation and I have learned not every night out is a free for all else it will catch up to me.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Just be mindful how you celebrate or reward yourself. Food is often abused as both. It takes awareness to make better choices. Instead of ice cream get quality coffee. Go on outings not restaurants so much or pack a picnic.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    pmoloney1 wrote: »
    I would never be tempted to buy candy with my money. I would buy clothing that fit my hot body from losing weight! But I guess that's your addiction...it sounds like you have a money managing problem. I suggest looking into David Ramsey's Financil Peace and get that worked out before you have that money .
    Great suggestion. I do know FPU does work in helping a lot of people with their finances.

• Sara2652
    Sara2652 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Yes. Think of people who win the lottery and often end up losing it to their vices(gambling, alcohol, drugs, sex). I'm guessing you are using food (the fatty, sugary, salty stuff) as entertainment, comfort and to 'treat' yourself. Trust me I understand because thats what those foods do for me.

Make a budget for yourself so you understand were that money needs to go and what ever is left over save it for something you really want, to donate or invest. If you can learn how to do this now you will be in such better financial shape then most adults.

Then you will need to be honest about what those foods are doing for you and look for alternative ways to satisfy those needs. Also keep tracking even if you are not 'dieting' because thats powerful information you can use when you want to change habits.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    You need a budget.

https://www.youneedabudget.com
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I understand you op. having money widely available your tempted to make poor decisions. it happens like a few days ago I had 4 burgers from mcdonalds and some poutines. but for me that was a treat because I live an hour away. so that stops me from eating there more often. but I agree with other posters. maybe instead of swear jar have a junk food jar
  • haroldrios1692
    haroldrios1692 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My pockets are kinda fat!!!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I was at my slimmest when i was broke because i just couldn't afford to go grocery shopping whenever the whim hit.

This doesn't explain why there seems to be so many more overweight/obese people in the poorer suburbs where i live.... I haven't read all the responses yet, so maybe someone has come up with a theory of why this is??