2»

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    CBD92 wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    CBD92 wrote: »
    Lorrpb we are actually driving across country! So space isn't really the issue, it's just the funding.

Coach Jen...you're brilliant you know that? I never even thought to bring a small pot haha. Some of the huts have fire pits. I would say...maybe 8 of the 12 huts so I could totally buy a very small lightweight pot and take that. I think that would be much lighter/take up less space than a portable stove for sure! And I've been saving my dryer lint for 2 years with no purpose, I keep thinking it'll come in handy/I'll throw it outside for the birds/use it in the garden and it's just still sitting there, haha! Good to know that trick. I'll definitely take that with, thanks! And yes, I am also a vegetarian who doesn't even like trail mix to begin with so I can see it'll be a very interesting journey. Honestly this isn't even something I'm looking forward to as in a super exciting vacation, I'm actually slightly dreading it but really love the challenge :) I would say my survival skills are better than average but I definitely have a lot to learn! Transitioning to backpacking hikes is kind of scary. Last year was my first and it was intense! I've been sure to train hard since then to get ready for this one (we have been planning it for almost a year now!). Are there some pretty good options for hut to hut hiking in New England? I bet there are some really nice ones!

I guess I don't understand the funding issue. What does it cost to pack your stove in the car?
    If no one in you group has one, you could check out a few different Goodwill stores. I often see such things there but you might have you hunt a little. It's not like they keep a stock like as regular store.

It costs nothing to pack a stove in a car. But it costs money to buy a stove. It also costs money to buy everything we need for the trip and to travel is a hefty expense as well. We buy everything Second hand, but nevertheless, are still on a tight budget. So if we don't need to buy something, we are going to just not buy it if it isn't absolutely necessary.

My husband would consider a stove absolutely necessary LOL! Have a great cook-free trip.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    If you do go cold, English muffins and tortillas pack well and aren't heavy. Peanut or almond butter, cheese, Spam, sausage etc. last well on longer hikes. Try tuna or salmon in foil. Dried milk and granola work well for breakfast. See if you can find NIDO, which is a full fat version of dried milk. For snacks, lots of cookies (Oreos or Fig Newtons pack well), chocolate, dried fruit, nuts or Gorp. You can pick up more at your resupply. There are edible coffee beans if you want some caffeine. We liked sugar free tea or Kool-Aid, if you can find it where you live. Crystal light is usually available. After a while, it's nice to put some flavor in your water and sugar free is lighter than sugared beverages.

Make sure you try out anything you plan to bring before you go. There is nothing worse than discovering you hate something you brought with you and having to carry it for several days before you can throw it out. Although appetite will make mediocre food edible, it won't do anything for something truly awful. Hiker boxes on the AT are full of protein powder that the hikers couldn't stand.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Maybe there are some ideas or tips in this documentary to help you. My favorite documentary!

https://youtu.be/bJsZ08582To
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Chocolate. You have to pack some of that. Actually every army ration pack will contain dark chocolate. This article looking at ration packs from around the world might give you some ideas.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/army-ration-packs-from-around-the-world/news-story/25297ce1dbfa07c4dcec9734f35c76f9
  • fishcat123
    fishcat123 Posts: 74 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My advice is a little different from others' here, but I think being in good shape cardio/strength wise is probably the most important, rather than doing anything in particular to train, especially if you don't have mountains (do you have hills though?) nearby. 1.2 km of elevation gain sounds like a lot but it is quite doable for most active people, especially if you go at a comfortable pace and give yourself enough time to take breaks.

I would suggest breaking in your hiking boots before going, walking up and down inclines if at all possible (at the gym, doing stairs, even).

Also, do you have hiking poles? They can be great for taking strain off your knees and using more of your body, not just your legs, to hike. Big sticks and ski poles work fine, too.

And enjoy! It looks amazing!!!