Gym every day?

Options
It seems like a lot of people here go to the gym everyday. If you do, do you go weights every day too (but maybe do "leg day" "back day" etc) or do you alternate it with "just cardio"? I want to go to the gym more often, but as I am doing a lot of full-body moves for my back rehabilitation, I would either basically do weightlifting every day or have to alternate it with cardio. So even if I halved my rehabilitation routine, I'd still work more or less my whole body every time and I'm not sure if that's better or worse than having one whole rest day from weight/body weight training.

I basically just wanted to ask what other people are doing at the gym, since gym time can be so many different things to so many different people. :smile:

I was also wondering, for those of you who do weights every day (or every day that you go to the gym, even if it's not 7 days a week) if that is something that you worked up to, but you started out with maybe 2-3 times per week?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I do weights every time I go to the gym - that ranges from 3 to 6 times a week. When I first started weight training, I'm pretty sure my program was 5 days a week.
  • joeybrid
    joeybrid Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I "workout" every day in that even if I'm not in the gym ok be jogging 2-3 miles and doing push-ups.

When I go to the gym I'll pretty much do whatever I feel like doing that day. Sometimes I'll bench 2 days in a row, do biceps 3 days in a row if I feel like it. All that matters is linear progression in the weight your lifting.
  • edlanglais
    edlanglais Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I myself go through the gym about 4 days a week. On days that I don't, I usually take a 3 mile jog. However, I still give my body one full day of rest. Your body needs that.

I mix cardio and strength on each gym day. During gym day, I tend to focus on specific muscle groups.

Day 1: biceps and chest
    Day 2: triceps and back
    Day 3: legs and traps
    Day 4: shoulders and abs
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym to lift weights, full body routine, twice a week. All the rest of my workouts are at home, pool, outside, etc.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I do both strength training + cardio (whole body) 5 days per week with added "mixed" classes like PiYo, Pilates, and Body Flow here and there. I do Monday through Friday and take weekends off entirely. I find my body recovers best from both strength and cardio with 2 full days off rather than 1 day scattered throughout the week.

Weekends are a leisurely walk or family yard game maximum for exercise (or normal chores and such).
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    i've been lifting 7x a week for 6.5 years now, when i first started i was 285lbs and hadn't been to a gym in years and i just arbitrarily decided i wanted to go every day to keep it as an ever part of my daily routine and i've never deviated away since.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Right now the program on I am on calls for me only to lift 3 days a week. So that's how much I am in gym. When I out grow it, maybe 2 or 3 months, I am thinking of moving to a 4 or 5 day a week program.

Now day's off lifting I try to do low impact cardio like walking and swimming. If you count those I likely do exercise 5 or 6 days a week. I do count them for calories but walking a few miles or doing a km in pool at a slow pace really isn't what I think of as "workout".
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I lift five days a week on a split-body program (Google for 2-Suns 5/3/1 LP for specifics). On the other days, I try to get in a two-mile run, a fifteen-mile bike ride or a five-mile hike. I also walk about 20 miles a week.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Your body needs to heal. Seriously, lifting weights tears up muscles (that's what makes them grow: the healing process). You should have a true rest day (no weights, no cardio) at least every two weeks. At least once a week, have an "active rest" day: cardio only, no weights.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it's the right thing to do but I do the arc trainer 45 min daily and weight lifting 45 min daily. 90lbs down and feeling good.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I don't lift more than 5 days in a week in my current routine. It would be stupid for me to attempt to as I would not be giving my body adaquate time for recovery and would be risking injury. Depending on how you alternate muscle groups, It is technically possible to stretch it to 6 days a week and still be safe about it, but unless you are a professional bodybuilder or else have almost no social life to speak of then this is really not needed to maintain a good physique. Like many people (us guys in particular), I deeply enjoy lifting aside from just the health benefits it provides. It's a catharsis of sorts, but you have to give your body time to rest if you want it to perform at the optimal level, especially if you go heavy on a semi-frequent basis.

If we are just talking cardio, I suppose you could do that daily with little ill effect. But even in that case of cardio bunnys I would allow at least one a day a week for rest.