Anyone eat Ezekiel bread & why?

PatanjaliTwist
PatanjaliTwist Posts: 485 Member
edited July 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I'm avoiding carbs, as I have 20-lbs more to lose & a slightly modified Dukan Diet works best for me (lost 10-lbs in 3-wks)... basically, I strictly follow it but add in 1 serving of fruit/day.

But, I read about E bread's low glycemic value & thought I'd give it a try, as rather than eat meat, meat & more meat (when I say meat, I mean animal protein), I'd like to mix it up & have a sandwich or PB2 on toast 2-3 times/wk.

Today I ate my 1st piece of E whole sprout bread. It gave me a strange kick, as in a sugar rush. 3-hrs later & I still feel it. It doesn't feel terrible, but it doesn't feel good... it feels like I ate candy & am now awaiting a sugar crash.

For those of you who eat E bread, do you experience this? I don't get this feeling when I've eaten homemade bread or even bakery bread (before the Dukan Diet). Since I've been avoiding carbs for a few months now, is that the rush I feel or is there some ingredient that's a known cause in E bread?

Also, for those of you who eat it, did you do so during a weight loss phase & did it work for you?

Cheers very much! Have a great weekend, All!

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    I eat it regularly. I am not doing low carb. I eat it for it's nutrient density and bio-availability. No, I've never gotten and kind of "kick" from it. I eat moderate carb and not low carb, so I couldn't say if the effect you say you experienced was from eating low carb. Yes, I've eaten it during a weight loss phase. I have no idea what you mean by "did it work". Did it work in what sense? If you mean did it work for weight loss, no food does that. Weight loss requires a calorie deficit. What one eats or whether one eats low carb or moderate carb or high protien or whatever is all a matter of personal preference and nutritional goals.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited July 2017
    I ate it while losing weight, and have eaten it off and on in maintenance. I chose it for it's nutrient profile and lower glycemic load. I kept eating it because it was delicious! It doesn't keep long, and it's expensive, which are two negatives for me.
    Never got the feeling you described.
  • PatanjaliTwist
    mmapags wrote: »
    Yes, I've eaten it during a weight loss phase. I have no idea what you mean by "did it work". Did it work in what sense? If you mean did it work for weight loss, no food does that. Weight loss requires a calorie deficit. What one eats or whether one eats low carb or moderate carb or high protien or whatever is all a matter of personal preference and nutritional goals.

Sorry for not being clearer. "Did it work" as in, did it hinder weight loss or not make a difference? I posted that I'd lost 10-lbs in 3-wks & would like the next 10 to be within the same time frame. If I add in bread (carbs), will it slow down weight loss, even if it's low glycemic bread?

Yes, I understand that I need to stay within 1,200-cal/day for continual weight loss... I'm not questioning that. But, if I add in potatoes or pasta (starches) & am still within my daily caloric intake, I just remain at the same weight until I cut out the carb & give it 3-4 days. Carbs/starches/sugars, whatever... stunts my weight loss regardless of calories eaten. But, I've never tried to E bread, so perhaps that differs??

I ask as it's confusing to me. I've never gained weight before & only gained as I was on the road for 2-yrs (it's in my Profile), so couldn't eat what I normally do, which was fresh, organic & always homemade. I've returned to that now that I'm settled 'til mid-Feb... but, I'd love a piece of bread every wk yet don't want to waste a lot of time having a stunted weight because I am eating a few pieces of E bread/wk.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    I eat it as well sometimes- I have never gotten the experience you recieved- another bread that was good for me and very filling- is the dave's killer bread- it is organic, very filling- I get the 60 calories a slice bread- Dave's also has a wonderful raisin bread for 90 calories a slice!
  • PatanjaliTwist
    I ate it while losing weight, and have eaten it off and on in maintenance. I chose it for it's nutrient profile and lower glycemic load. I kept eating it because it was delicious! It doesn't keep long, and it's expensive, which are two negatives for me.
    Never got the feeling you described.

Okay, thank you Sabine.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    I've tried the Ezekiel bread from time to time, and it's tasty. That's all I really want in a bread. I never noted anything odd or special about it.
  • PatanjaliTwist
    debtay123 wrote: »
    I eat it as well sometimes- I have never gotten the experience you recieved- another bread that was good for me and very filling- is the dave's killer bread- it is organic, very filling- I get the 60 calories a slice bread- Dave's also has a wonderful raisin bread for 90 calories a slice!

Again, my main concern is carbs vs weight loss. Do low glycemic carbs hinder weight loss? Or, is it a case by case scenario? I've never had to lose weight before... I'm doing Dukan as I researched the diet, it sounded reasonable & I've lost 10-lbs in 3-wks.

The last 3-wks, I've eaten within my daily caloric intake of 1,200-cal, but have lost nothing, mainly as I've added in carbs, beer. I can revert back to the full DDiet, but fear getting ill as it's so restrictive.
  • PatanjaliTwist
    edited July 2017
    Hopefully, someone can respond to the carbs vs weight loss q & its effects, if any, based on personal experience.
    Thanks everyone.
  • bpetrosky
    debtay123 wrote: »

Again, my main concern is carbs vs weight loss. Do low glycemic carbs hinder weight loss? Or, is it a case by case scenario? I've never had to lose weight before... I'm doing Dukan as I researched the diet, it sounded reasonable & I've lost 10-lbs in 3-wks.

The last 3-wks, I've eaten within my daily caloric intake of 1,200-cal, but have lost nothing, mainly as I've added in carbs, beer. I can revert back to the full DDiet, but fear getting ill as it's so restrictive.

How are you measuring your calorie intake? Do you weigh your foods and use accurate database entries on MFP? Weight loss is not linear and water weight due to sodium, glycogen levels, and time-of-month can mask body fat loss on the scale.

Type of carbs is largely irrelevant to weight loss, maintaining a consistent calorie deficit relative to your activity level is the most important factor.
  • PatanjaliTwist
    edited July 2017
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    How are you measuring your calorie intake? Do you weigh your foods and use accurate database entries on MFP? Weight loss is not linear and water weight due to sodium, glycogen levels, and time-of-month can mask body fat loss on the scale.

Type of carbs is largely irrelevant to weight loss, maintaining a consistent calorie deficit relative to your activity level is the most important factor.

Hi, PB... Yes, measuring precise intake & accurate MFP DB entries. As stated, "... if I add in potatoes or pasta (starches) & am still within my daily caloric intake, I just remain at the same weight until I cut out the carb & give it 3-4 days. Carbs/starches/sugars, whatever... stunts my weight loss regardless of calories eaten. But, I've never tried to E bread, so perhaps that differs??"

My apologies, but I seem to be having a problem getting people to understand my q. Again... be patient. I've never had to lose weight before, so know little about the issue... but, I'm stating what I've noticed with my weight loss. Coincidence or just personal body differences in regard to carbs... I don't know.

So, are you saying that cutting out all carbs is just a coincidence in losing 10-lbs in 3-wks & it wouldn't have mattered what I ate as long as the daily caloric intake were under the 1,200 that MFP says I need? I assumed it was the Dukan high protein diet & no starches/sugars/carbs/low fat that was responsible for the weight loss... now, I'm confused.
  • PatanjaliTwist

Hi, PB... Yes, measuring precise intake & accurate MFP DB entries. As stated, "... if I add in potatoes or pasta (starches) & am still within my daily caloric intake, I just remain at the same weight until I cut out the carb & give it 3-4 days. Carbs/starches/sugars, whatever... stunts my weight loss regardless of calories eaten. But, I've never tried to E bread, so perhaps that differs??"

My apologies, but I seem to be having a problem getting people to understand my q. Again... be patient. I've never had to lose weight before, so know little about the issue... but, I'm stating what I've noticed with my weight loss. Coincidence or just personal body differences in regard to carbs... I don't know.

So, are you saying that cutting out all carbs is just a coincidence in losing 10-lbs in 3-wks & it wouldn't have mattered what I ate as long as the daily caloric intake were under the 1,200 that MFP says I need? I assumed it was the Dukan high protein diet & no starches/sugars/carbs/low fat that was responsible for the weight loss... now, I'm confused.

Ezekiel bread, or any bread, won't stunt your weight loss, as long as your calorie deficit is maintained.

Many people experience a rapid initial drop in body weight when starting a low carb diet because it depletes glycogen stores. Glycogen molecules hold water molecules and a low carb diet plan like Dukan can cause you to drop several pounds initially.

Sodium intake can also influence water weight.

This is why short term fad diets that are low sodium and low carb cause people to lose water weight very quickly which just as quickly rebounds when they return to their normal diet.

Oh, I see. Okay, BP, thank you so much for taking the time to explain all this to a newbie. Well, this will be much easier to just eat within calorie range, because I'm finding Dukan to be very effective, but the lack of veggies I like & fruit, is a bit hard to bear... not fond of giant plates of meat & meat alone & I am afraid of getting run down. That's why I had to take off a couple of weeks from it, after the initial 10-lb loss, because I was feeling lethargic & rundown & took up eating lots of fresh fruits/vegs. Still... I haven't lost anything in 3-wks off Dukan, but have maintained the same weight, even though I've been at 1,200-cal.

If you don't mind, I wanted to run something else passed you. All bodies are not the same. For example, I'm lactose intolerant & allergic to eggs... another reason Dukan is so restrictive to me, as I can't eat yogurt, cheese, eggs & I think tofu isn't good for the body to ingest as it's a weed & even insects won't eat it... mimics estrogen, as well. So, the bulk of my protein on Dukan has to come from animal products. Many people can eat dairy, so our bodies differ. Therefore, I'm surmising, we also digest & process foods differently.

Also, my stomach bloats out like I'm 5-mos pregnant if I eat watermelon, beans, rice. I'm unsure if those are allergies or food intolerances, but as those foods affect me like that, I avoid them. So, if I ate 1,200-cal/day, but they were comprised of the above 3 foods, plus lactose foods, wouldn't that inhibit weight loss in some way as the body is shocked into trying to deal with perceived toxins & not on proper digestion & assimilation of vitamins/minerals?

Basically meaning, bread might be one of those foods, including E bread, that I should avoid, given that it's given me a sugar shock feeling & others don't report the same. Does that make sense? Every decade or so, I find I can't eat the same foods as before. Just 10-yrs ago, I could eat pizza, cheeseburgers, fries & beer at midnight, every night & not gain a pound. My body's changed... I can't eat those kinds of calories and/or food combos any longer, unless I want to move up a size in 1-mo's time.

Thank you kindly, for your help & patience.

• PatanjaliTwist
    I have not seen OP mention your weight, only that you want to lose 3 lb per week. A healthy rate of loss is up to 1% of body weight per week. Unless you are over 300 lb, your intended rate of loss is excessive and not conducive to your good health.

+1. OP, there seems to be a lot of misinformation you are trying to operate with. The ones that jump out are trying to lose 3 pounds per week, that you have to be a 1200 calories per day to lose, that carbs prevent fat loss. None of these things are necessarily true. All foods, in proper amounts and context are fine (excepting those to which one may have an allergy or intolerance).

Began weight loss at 155-lbs. I'm a 5'7" woman, small frame. Lost 10-lbs in 3-wks on Dukan, so am now 145. MFP says my calorie intake should be 1,200/day.

My assumption I could lose another 10-lbs in 3-wks is as I lost the 1st 10-lbs in 3-wks. As I've said, I've never gained weight before (I'm 48) & have been 123-lbs since 23... was 108 before that (far too thin), mainly due to lifelong anemia, which I got under control in my 20s.

This weight gain was due to a foot surgery gone awry & I couldn't walk for several yrs... I was always physically active before that... walking 4-5 mi/day, lap swimming, yoga, lived in a 5th floor walkup... & eating mostly peanut butter toast for each meal didn't help. I had no idea PB was fattening... prior to the surgery, I'd never gained a lb & ate what I wanted, although, I was always a cook-from-scratch & fresh, organic eater.

Just getting back to normal (walking & moving about) as of March, this year.

I have a pile of weight loss books that I've accumulated (8-10+), mainly written by personal trainers & find them maddening, as they all disagree. Dukan was the 1st I tried, it worked, but the lack of fresh fruit/vegs makes me feel like I'm gong to get ill & I was so lethargic, so it scared me. Again, with my inexperience, maybe feeling lethargic during weight loss is normal? In any event, that's why I've gone off it for the passed 3-wks, am just eating 1,200/day & wondering what to do next. I've been at the same weight for 3-wks.

I can increase my exercise, which has been minimal, mainly as I was so lethargic with the DDiet. Now, I'm feeling better... I just am unsure where to go from here.

Thank you for your q's & your help.
  • PatanjaliTwist
    I have not seen OP mention your weight, only that you want to lose 3 lb per week. A healthy rate of loss is up to 1% of body weight per week. Unless you are over 300 lb, your intended rate of loss is excessive and not conducive to your good health.

Thank you for that. Very helpful.
  • bpetrosky

Ezekiel bread, or any bread, won't stunt your weight loss, as long as your calorie deficit is maintained.

Many people experience a rapid initial drop in body weight when starting a low carb diet because it depletes glycogen stores. Glycogen molecules hold water molecules and a low carb diet plan like Dukan can cause you to drop several pounds initially.

Sodium intake can also influence water weight.

This is why short term fad diets that are low sodium and low carb cause people to lose water weight very quickly which just as quickly rebounds when they return to their normal diet.

Oh, I see. Okay, BP, thank you so much for taking the time to explain all this to a newbie. Well, this will be much easier to just eat within calorie range, because I'm finding Dukan to be very effective, but the lack of veggies I like & fruit, is a bit hard to bear... not fond of giant plates of meat & meat alone & I am afraid of getting run down. That's why I had to take off a couple of weeks from it, after the initial 10-lb loss, because I was feeling lethargic & rundown & took up eating lots of fresh fruits/vegs. Still... I haven't lost anything in 3-wks off Dukan, but have maintained the same weight, even though I've been at 1,200-cal.

Firstly, I apologize. I didn't catch that you were trying to lose 10 pounds in three weeks. As the posters above noted, that's much too fast of a goal. Two pounds per week is the maximum MFP recommends and will let you set directly, and that really only applies to people who have a lot to lose.
    If you don't mind, I wanted to run something else passed you. All bodies are not the same. For example, I'm lactose intolerant & allergic to eggs... another reason Dukan is so restrictive to me, as I can't eat yogurt, cheese, eggs & I think tofu isn't good for the body to ingest as it's a weed & even insects won't eat it... mimics estrogen, as well. So, the bulk of my protein on Dukan has to come from animal products. Many people can eat dairy, so our bodies differ. Therefore, I'm surmising, we also digest & process foods differently.

Less than you think. If you're lactose intolerant and allergic to egg proteins, then obviously you should avoid that. Tofu is just fine, I've never heard about claim about insects, but I suspect that's easily debunked.

Your overall diet is what matters most, getting a good balance of proteins, fats, and carbs, with good variety to help meet your nutritional needs.

I will note, since you've mentioned it several times, that I am not a particular fan of the Dukan diet. I looked at it some time ago, and I felt it was arbitrarily over-structured and restrictive.

Keep it simple, eat food you enjoy, and that are you are not allergic or intolerant of. Eat it in portions that meet your calorie goal. If you are not satiated, experiment with the proportions of proteins or fats or carbs that make up your meals.
    Also, my stomach bloats out like I'm 5-mos pregnant if I eat watermelon, beans, rice. I'm unsure if those are allergies or food intolerances, but as those foods affect me like that, I avoid them. So, if I ate 1,200-cal/day, but they were comprised of the above 3 foods, plus lactose foods, wouldn't that inhibit weight loss in some way as the body is shocked into trying to deal with perceived toxins & not on proper digestion & assimilation of vitamins/minerals?

No, not really. Many people experience discomfort when making big changes to their diet, especially with beans, fruits, and certain vegetables. Your gut flora break down certain molecules that your own digestive enzymes don't, and the little beasties produce gas. Usually this passes (no pun intended) for many people, but others never quite adapt.

Your body is smarter than you think, it's not easily "shocked" by unusual foods. Your body isn't perceiving thems as "toxins" There's a lot of diet gurus who have promoted that particular idea, but there's no real science behind it.

Again, if you have food allergies or intolerances, do not eat those foods. If you suspect a problem, see your doctor or a registered dietitian who can help diagnose and develop sound strategies for dealing with them.

Basically meaning, bread might be one of those foods, including E bread, that I should avoid, given that it's given me a sugar shock feeling & others don't report the same. Does that make sense? Every decade or so, I find I can't eat the same foods as before. Just 10-yrs ago, I could eat pizza, cheeseburgers, fries & beer at midnight, every night & not gain a pound. My body's changed... I can't eat those kinds of calories and/or food combos any longer, unless I want to move up a size in 1-mo's time.

Thank you kindly, for your help & patience.

You've gotten older and more aware of your body state then you were younger. We in the US are eating more and moving less, and gaining weight as a result. It happens, but you can take control of it without drastic measures.

Lastly, there are several threads with good information linked here, I suggest you read some of them to get your bearings.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest

Good luck.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    So, at 5'7" and 145, you are not that far from what would be a good goal weight. Maybe 15 lbs I'm guessing? The rate of loss of 10 lbs in 3 weeks is (and excuse my bluntness please) completely unrealistic. You say MFP has you at 1200 cals but that is likely because you set your weekly loss goal too high. You should have your goal at .5 lbs per week this close to goal weight. 1lb per week at the most.
    The weight you lost quickly when starting Dukan was mostly glycogen/ water and not fat loss. You can follow any eating plan that suits you and stay on your calorie goal. If you eat more carbs you will gain some of that water weight back.
    It will take a little while. So, you are going to need some patience. The last 15 are always the slowest and hardest and you will see weeks with little or no progress.
  • PatanjaliTwist
    edited July 2017
    Thank you @bpetrosky. I had to delete all your replies in this response, as I screwed up the formatting. :(

No apology necessary. Sometimes things are overlooked or I don't report everything that will make my points clearer. I understand now... since 10-lbs in 3-wks was my entree into weight loss, I just assumed it would be the same formula (& just as effortless) throughout, regardless of how much weight needed to be lost.

Okay, that's easy... just counting calories. Besides, if I read 1 more Wheat Belly-ish book, I'm going to scream.

Thank you for taking the time to post your replies & the link. I'll be reading it after the holiday. You've been very helpful!

Cheers & Happy 4th!
  • PatanjaliTwist
    So, at 5'7" and 145, you are not that far from what would be a good goal weight. Maybe 15 lbs I'm guessing? The rate of loss of 10 lbs in 3 weeks is (and excuse my bluntness please) completely unrealistic. You say MFP has you at 1200 cals but that is likely because you set your weekly loss goal too high. You should have your goal at .5 lbs per week this close to goal weight. 1lb per week at the most.

The weight you lost quickly when starting Dukan was mostly glycogen/ water and not fat loss. You can follow any eating plan that suits you and stay on your calorie goal. If you eat more carbs you will gain some of that water weight back.

It will take a little while. So, you are going to need some patience. The last 15 are always the slowest and hardest and you will see weeks with little or no progress.

Hiya, MM. Yes, 22-lbs more to go. 123 is my normal weight & always has been.

I'll just continue watching calories & eat what I normally eat, which is fresh, organic homemade, begin more regular exercise & have an end of year goal to return to "normal" weight. That doesn't sound unrealistic... 1-lb/wk. At very least, I'll be 10-lbs down & can set another 10-lb goal at that time.