Type II Diabetics - Let's Support Each Other

Options

Replies

• cazzincali
    cazzincali Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Keep going! I was diagnosed with it back in Dec. 2009. I was tipping around 470-480 lbs. I was taking 5 different kinds of meds. 3 for diabetes related stuff. 2 for bloodpressure, high cholesterol. Healthy dieting, lots and lots of walking. Lost many lbs. and in Jan. 2011 my doctor removed all medications from me! I no longer am diabetic.

Once diabetic, ALWAYS diabetic. Your blood sugar is just under control.

I have DM 2 as well. I am off all meds. 12 yrs ago, I weighed 335#. I weigh half that now. I can also tell you that diabetics are THE most non-compliant patients around...
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Keep going! I was diagnosed with it back in Dec. 2009. I was tipping around 470-480 lbs. I was taking 5 different kinds of meds. 3 for diabetes related stuff. 2 for bloodpressure, high cholesterol. Healthy dieting, lots and lots of walking. Lost many lbs. and in Jan. 2011 my doctor removed all medications from me! I no longer am diabetic.

Once diabetic, ALWAYS diabetic. Your blood sugar is just under control.

I have DM 2 as well. I am off all meds. 12 yrs ago, I weighed 335#. I weigh half that now. I can also tell you that diabetics are THE most non-compliant patients around...

Oh, yes we are non-compliant! My family--wow. I am, in fact, the only member of my diabetic family that actually counts carbs. My mother doesn't even test--she eats whatever she wants, assuming that if it's not sugary, it's okay (imagine a 77 year old woman wading through an entire bag of Fritos or Lays BBQ-style). She takes her pills faithfully, and seems shocked when, every few years, the pills or dosages have stopped working and a routine doctor's visit turns into a disaster where her blood sugar is 350+. I have other relatives who, instead counting carbs and watching what they eat, just inject insulin after pig-outs and hope to get things right. I've seen my relatives with blood glucose levels well over 400.

I don't want to lose my sight. I don't want to lose my legs. I don't want my kidneys shot. So i comply. I wish I could inspire my family to do the same, but it doesn't seem to be happening.

Kris
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options

Oh, yes we are non-compliant! My family--wow. I am, in fact, the only member of my diabetic family that actually counts carbs. My mother doesn't even test--she eats whatever she wants, assuming that if it's not sugary, it's okay (imagine a 77 year old woman wading through an entire bag of Fritos or Lays BBQ-style). She takes her pills faithfully, and seems shocked when, every few years, the pills or dosages have stopped working and a routine doctor's visit turns into a disaster where her blood sugar is 350+. I have other relatives who, instead counting carbs and watching what they eat, just inject insulin after pig-outs and hope to get things right. I've seen my relatives with blood glucose levels well over 400.

I don't want to lose my sight. I don't want to lose my legs. I don't want my kidneys shot. So i comply. I wish I could inspire my family to do the same, but it doesn't seem to be happening.

Kris

Gosh ... that's very frightening Kris, .... watching your own family self destruct!

I am very lax about testing altho' as I may have mentioned before, the NHS have a different mantra now for Dbs NOT to test. My sister has been T2 for almost 12yrs and she is on Metformin and has been told not to as well!
    However, for the most part I DO try to take my food intake seriously as like yourself, Kris, I don't want to find that my kidneys have failed as that can lead to alsorts of other dilemmas.
  • hbmcracer
    hbmcracer Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hey all. Just read through this whole post and got some good information. My doctor hasn't really explained too much to me except "try and eat better, exercise, and take these pills" oh and "here's some more pills". Do now I'm armed with better information so I'm looking forward to being off all these pills!!! My last a1c was about 6.7 I think so I'm not too crazy high but I definitely need to bring it down.

This morning my fasting bc was 113, I did some exercise and then it was 159. I thought my tester was messed up so I googled it, and found this http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/1994/06/01/217/why-does-my-sugar-go-up-after-exercise/
  • Thriceshy
    Options
    Hey all. Just read through this whole post and got some good information. My doctor hasn't really explained too much to me except "try and eat better, exercise, and take these pills" oh and "here's some more pills". Do now I'm armed with better information so I'm looking forward to being off all these pills!!! My last a1c was about 6.7 I think so I'm not too crazy high but I definitely need to bring it down.

This morning my fasting bc was 113, I did some exercise and then it was 159. I thought my tester was messed up so I googled it, and found this http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/1994/06/01/217/why-does-my-sugar-go-up-after-exercise/

Some folks DO go up after exercize. I'm one of the lucky ones--mine goes down markedly. What are the recommendations for bringing/keeping it down for you?

And welcome! My advice for you would be watch your carbs--and I don't mean in an Atkins-y way. I keep mine below fifty net per meal and below 30 net per snack--I know other folks have other numbers they're more comfortable with. Look around for cool, lower carb versions of favorites--I love my Dreamfield's Pasta and Sara Lee Delightful Multi-grain Bread.

Kris
  • elaine8255
    elaine8255 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hey folks. I haven't checked in here in a long time. This weight loss journey is driving me nuts. I had my endocrinologist appointment a few weeks ago (all levels were fantastic) but my morning levels were still a bit high in her eyes. I'm working with a diabetes educator and nutritionist to try and get everything nice and tidy for pre-pregnancy goals.

About Me:
    On novorapid insulin w/ every main meal (B: 3u, L:5u, D: 6u down from B: 36u, L: 30u, D:38u) and NPH insulin at bedtime (35u down from 85u)
    Metformin 500, 1 tablet @ breakfast and dinner
    Type II diabetic since 2003

Things i've learned so far:
    If my sugars are low in the morning, there's a continued trend all throughout the day
    Exercise makes me sensitive to insulin, and plotting their peak times and end times is crucial for me not to go hypo when i work out
    Keeping to carb goals sucks, but provides me a predictable glucose pattern that makes me happy
    My (former) fear of hypoglycemia had me eating probably about 400 extra calories in snacks when i didn't even need them

Anyone else on insulin for pre-pregnancy planning?
  • nburns325
    nburns325 Posts: 174
    Options
    Hi Friends!

Came across this wonderful resource for Type 2 Diabetics sponsored by the American Diabetes Association. It's all free and has some GREAT information and benefits... you can get the info either by mail or by email. Check it out, has a lot of tips and resources.

www.diabetes.org/kraft

These are some of the benefits:

Kraft Foods is a proud sponsor of the American Diabetes Association Living With Type 2 Diabetes program. We're delighted to invite you to enroll for FREE!

The program includes:
    • Monthly e-newsletters to help you live better
    with diabetes

• Information and tools on topics like food,
    physical activity and stress reduction

• Delicious and nutritious recipes for you and
    your family

• Opportunities to find personal support online
    and in your community
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,263 Member
    Options
    I haven't checked in for awhile. My morning blood sugar ranges from 80's to 114 and I've been in the 90's 2 hours after dinner. I take Metformin, balance my carb intake to no more than 45-50 in a meal and 0-15 in a snack. I always eat breakfast, usually a morning snack of nuts and fruit or yogurt, lunch, afternoon snack, and then dinner. I don't always have a snack before bed and sometimes I have things I shouldn't (pure sweets!). My A1c dropped to 5.4 last check-up and my good cholesterol is rising slowly which is what I want. All in all doing pretty well but scale doesn't move downward. I have to be satisfied with losing inches and feeling better for now. Trying to focus on all of this as lifestyle changes and not dieting. I need to have good exercise and eating habits for the rest of my life. I'm only checking my bc a couple of mornings and evenings per week now. I can tell by how I feel what my food choices and sitting around do to me and when I need to eat better and get moving.

I love my Dreamfield pasta and am going to look for the Sara Lee bread mentioned above. Thanks for that tip!

Jenny
  • Thriceshy
    Options
    Hey, Jenny! It sounds like you're doing great! Like you, this is a forever thing for me, whether I lose pounds or not. With a starting weight of 377, I'm glad I'm losing, but if I leveled off right now, I could live with that--emphasis on LIVE. My blood sugar is well-controlled, my A1c is down to 5.7, and my back feels better than it's felt in a few years. So this is about becoming a healthier me, regardless of weight.

I am glad you love the Dreamfields, and I hope you like the Sara Lee Delightful! I was so happy to find bread and pasta that my blood sugar like--it made all the difference for me!

Kris
  • amyllu
    Options
    Having now started on an 800 cals programme am amzed at how much better I feel.
    Am not getting all those tired episodes and even tho' my weight has only gone down 1lb since Tuesday (which isn't too bad really!) my back pain has reduced considerably.
    Just had a scan and injection on my shoulder to help with that pain and found a disabled swimming venue so hopefully will start this Sunday which I am really excited about as exercising is very difficult for me.

As is said .... Onwards and Downwards!
  • bongowillie
    bongowillie Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    here is a A1C CONVERTER CHART THAT I POSTED ON MY FB PAGE..BONGOWILLIE DIABETIC BLOG AND THE LINK TO THE ORIGINAL SOURCE PAGE
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/BongoWillie-Drum-Tent/153659728007573#!/pages/Bongos-Diabetic-BLOG/125655144171061

GOT MY A1C AND ITS UP FROM 7.5 TO 8.3 VERY DISAPPOINTED AT THIS. THE BIG PROBLEM IS THAT MY DAILY CHART SHOWS JAN FEB MAR APRIL MAY JUNE JULY
    126 119.2 119.4 94.7 103.9 102.1 122.6
    AND THE A1C IS TELLING ME ACCORDING TO THE CHART THAT I HAD A 218 DAILY AVERAGE
    I HAD 4 SPIKES OVER 2OO SINCE MAY AND 27 READINGS OF LESS THAN 80
    ALL MY SPIKES HAPPEN IN JULY, STARTED EATING MORE FRESH FRUIT BOWLS THAT COME FROM THE DELI..COULD BE CAUSE OF THE SUGAR SPIKES AND THE HIGH A1C READING..ALSO LESS WORKOUT DUE TO THE 100 DEGREE DAILY HEAT HERE IN LITTLE ROCK..WILL SWITCH TO VEGGIE SNAK FROM FRUIT SNAK AND CONTINUE TO BE DILIGENT..NEXT AIC WILL BE 1ST OF NOVEMBER..

MORAL OF STORY: YOU CAN'T WIN FOR LOSING..GO FIGURE
  • mollybeslimmer
    mollybeslimmer Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I want to thank everyone for all the postings.
    I have been struggling with this for awhile now.
    Last year my A1C was 6.3 and I was taken off the metaformin-great
    then this year (along with good ole menopause) I started expericening horrible headaches,dizziness-the whole nine yards.
    Go to doc-without looking at any pass logs-they assume it is menopause and up my HRT-wrong.
    this went on for 4 months till I felt I had a heartattack or something-rushed to doctor-ekg etc.
    well-finally his new PA looked me over-we spent almost an hour in the room.all new tests.
    A1C is 8.9!! glu:335!!!
    I was WTH!!
    so back on met with added insulin(lantus and hunulinR)
    I feel so much better and learning to deal.
    I feel like a babe in the woods with what to do.
    Reading alot of these posts has helped..thank you.
  • elsieshaye
    elsieshaye Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi. I was diagnosed Type II two years ago, and my current A1C is 6.9 (down from somewhere around 10). I've got around 100 pounds to lose. I take metformin, Lantus and Apidra. Eating low carb has pretty much eliminated my need for Apidra, and I'm currently trying to figure out the best dosing for the Lantus, since I'm starting to have a lot of trouble with overnight lows. I'm due for an eye exam and lab work in the next month or so - dragging my feet on making the appointments. The last eye doctor took it upon himself to lecture me about my weight, and was amazingly rude about it, so I'm a bit traumatized. Why do people feel compelled to offer unsolicited advice outside of their expertise?? Grrr.

Glad to meet all of you. Reading your posts has been really supportive and helpful.
  • amyllu
    Options
    I had all of that too Elsie. I used to get so depressed about my weight and to have someone knowingly lecture me in such a way used to make me almost suicidal so I eventually wrote a very strong worded letter to the doctor in question forbidding him to mention it again! Thankfully he complied and must have notified the rest of them in the practice.

Wishing you all the best in your endeavour.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Are you all getting your eyes, teeth and feet check?
  • Ping_A1C2U
    Options
    Are you all getting your eyes, teeth and feet check?

Yep. I have non-prolific retinopathy, which hopefully will just be a constant reminder that this isn't a fad, something i'm trying out, etc. No more 2nd chances.

People often ask me how I decided after 10+ years of being type 2 to get motivated and actually control my disease...the answer? Because I finally believed, with zero doubt, that it was going to kill me, sooner, not later. IT's very motivating. lol.

I had a nice visit with my PCP (he's been mine through the ups and downs of this for about 5 years or so). He's very supportive, proud of me, etc. We discuss my options and he weighs my opinions into his recommendations.

As of this week, I'm off glyburide (and still off of LANTUS). It's exciting, but it's difficult again to readjust my diet back down in carbs to 40-50 per meal, 15 per snack. The lantus and exercise had caused my carb intake to creep back up to keep from going hypoglycemic. So far so good, my fasting numbers are at the high end of target, instead at the borderline of hypo, so I am a very happy diabetic this week.

I'm also started on a statin to bring up my good cholesterol numbers. 6 weeks till new labs, somewhere around 2-3 months before i go back to the ophthalmologist to see how the retinopathy is going, another visit to the PCP in about 2 months.

Good times. It's beatable, the only question is how bad do you want it?
  • nburns325
    nburns325 Posts: 174
    Options
    Sooo.. just got my lab results from Monday... I don't see the Dr. until the 25th, but was dying to find out how the past 2 1/2 months of my hard work has (or hasn't) paid off. My last lab work was May 3rd and my A1c was 8.5, my overall cholesterol was 156 and my triglycerides at a shocking 315. Well as of Monday the 1st, they are now: A1c is 6.7, cholesterol at 133 and triglycerides at 151! So I'm making progress. I didn't start making my life changes until May 16th, so I really look forward to my next visit with a full 3+ months with these new changes in place. So I guess I'm a little disappointed, hoped my A1c would be lower... I've been tracking my blood sugar daily and the averages I have from testing are 124... but obviously I can't track 50 times/day... so it's just one observation. Anyway... feeling great!!!

One question for you guys... so my HDL (good cholesterol) was 30 at my last visit in May and still 30 for this labwork this week... shouldn't it have increased due to all this new exercise/activities I've been doing? Or does that take some more time to be realized? It's frustrating for me to not see the #s!!
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,263 Member
    Options
    Nicole- I am also working to increase my good cholesterol through exercise since I was told that is about the only way to do so. I'm making slow progress too. I'm not sure exactly but i think my count was 37 or 38 last fall and rose to 41 in March after beginning my exercise routines in January. I assume it progresses slowly but as long as it goes toward 50 that's good.

Jenny
  • Thriceshy
    Options
    Fish oils/Omega-3 fatty acids are said to increase HDL--I need to get back on the fish train.

Edited to add: http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/479499_5

Kris
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Isn't it funny how quickly momentum can change, and how you have to will yourself to stay on track. I thought I had my BG under some level of control < 100 for a little more than a week.. Then on Thursday, my fasting number was a spiked to 127. I indulged the night before in butternut squash enchiladas, too much food and too many carbs. Well they are now off the list, or at least reduced to a small side dish. This morning I'm back down to 107, and will monitor myself during the day while my BG settles back down.

A little vent but this is life and learning is an everyday thing.

V.