Couch to 5K

Options
I am NOT a runner but recently heard about this program....it is a very basic plan to get couch potatoes up and running in 9 weeks.... I'm just curious if anyone on MFP has tried this and what the results were? I'd love to run- I need a new stress relief since I am no longer a smoker. Here is the website I was going to use:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml'

Please let me know if anyone out there has completed this program or is in the process of completing it!!

Replies

• Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Options
    Lots of people here are doing it, or have done it. I have done it and it rocks :) Still running today because of it!
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    I totally understand you! I thought I'd NEVER be a runner, but here I am at week 7 running for 25+ minutes three times a week :)

I just use an app on my android, but a lot of the programs offered online or on phones are great.

Definitely try it out! Make sure to do at least 2 weeks, it is hard at first, but it works! It's also ok to repeat weeks :)
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start this week. People at my work love it!
  • _Johanna_
    _Johanna_ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I plan to start next week! :) I am so excited about it! I have never in my life been able to run a full mile! I'm going to do it this time, I just know it!
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    i started at about 205 and can now run 3 miles in 48 minutes and i'm 190. took me about 8 weeks! love it!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I've started it but gave up, however my mistake was trying to run outside....I am NOT an outside runner. The pavement is too hard on my joints, and of course wind resistance and slight inclines make you work a lot harder.

I would like to start it again, except on a treadmill, however I am having difficulty downloading the podcasts to my ipod. Once I can figure out how to do that (I've done it before, not sure what's wrong) I will be starting it again.

My best advice, if you finish a week and find you're not ready to move on to the next week, repeat the week again. No harm in it! Good luck!

PS congrats on quitting smoking too. I was mostly a social smoker, but I have not had one since April 29th.
  • 500lbs2marathon
    500lbs2marathon Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    i used c25k when I first started to run about a year ago. Its a great program, dont be afraid to repeat weeks if you dont feel you are ready to advance!

Also, do yourself a favor and go to a running store and get properly fitted for shoes!
  • dagreen419
    dagreen419 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I started it August 2010 for December 5k. I got commited to the program and did the team runs and lots of runs on my own. I finished my first 5k in 36:20. Not fast, but finished. That motivated me to get better and stronger so I continued to run and joined a gym for lower body workouts. Since finishing the first 5k, I have completed 4 - 5k's, 1 -10k and 2 Half Marathons. I contribute running to be responsible for the majority of my weight loss.

One piece of advice, get fitted for good running shoes. Just going out in anything from Foot Locker will not work. Your knees and legs will hurt and adventually you will get discouraged. I recommend a place call Fleet Feet Sports, they have a website and locations across the US. The price I paid for running shoes there was probably 10% higher than in a regular store, but they were custom fitted and felt great. I am actually on my 3rd pair of shoes now...
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Been hearing great reviews about it. Finally downloaded an app on my Android and Monday was my 1st day. That 1 min of run (my jog) seemed forever...
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 2 day 2. Not loving the running, quite honestly, but hopefully that will come with time. Importantly, I went to a running store and got fitted for running shoes before starting -- I think the right shoes are a really good idea. Anyway, I am nervous about the upcoming weeks. Oh, and am doing it on a treadmill. After I finish, I hope to be brave enough to run outside ;).

Cheers,

Sean
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I finished it last April after coming off from years of foot/ankle/knee injuries. Have run 27 races since, including a half marathon and am currently training for my first marathon! It's a great program and it has me addicted (no question) to running!
  • lilieslosinit
    lilieslosinit Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm following this program right now :) I'm on week 3. I find it challenging, but not impossible. Give it a shot!
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    C25k is my Hero! I love it! I finished the program and the next week I ran 6 miles straight, very slowly, but 6 miles. I downloaded great podicast on my MP3 player from www.c25k.com, scroll down to podicast and I think it was the second one I used. They have a different one for each week. The podicast tell you when to run and when to walk, you never have to look at your watch. Just focus on your stride and breathing.
  • maureensm
    maureensm Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm a graduate! It totally works! Just take your time, and keep at it. I've been running now for 4 years from when I first started doing the C25K and have since completed two marathons :).
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I finished it in May and have three 5Ks under my belt now. Like everyone has said...get properly fitted for running shoes at a RUNNING store.
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing. I've seen the C25K reference but didn't know anything else about it until I checked out the URL.
    ...do yourself a favor and go to a running store and get properly fitted for shoes!

Thanks for the reminder, it *IS* time for a new pair of running/walking shoes.
  • nicolegetsfit
    Options
    I'm on Week 2 Day 2, and I love it so far. :) I can already feel my running improve, and I'm getting back into the groove of it (I used to run, but I stopped for awhile). I would definitely give it a go!
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first day. I bought an app for my iphone which let me load my own music in and then it just chimes in and tells you when to switch between walking and running. I do need better shoes, so I am going to take care of that this weekend and I probably need to learn proper form. But I was able to do it and it wasn't as bad as I thought.
  • dyiaane
    dyiaane Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 7 day 2. I am now able to run 25 minutes without stopping. It is awesome!!!
  • springgrl
    springgrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I finished the program and I loved it. Run slower than you think you should for longer than you think you can. Good luck!