Is this a good exercise routine?

Sam29a
Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
I'm hoping someone who is more knowledgeable about exercise can help me out. I am very unfit and really want to start exercising asap. I have lost over 50 lbs, but it's left me looking a bit skinny fat (although I still have some weight to lose). My cousin is getting married in a month and although I'm not expecting miracles, I would love to lose a few pounds and look a little leaner by then.

I'm planning on finally joining the gym tomorrow and intend to do the following routine for the next 4 weeks or so, after which I will change things up a bit. Does this look like a good routine to do? The only exercise I currently get is walking every other day. I have another 10 lbs to lose and I want to gain muscle, or at least maintain muscle and gain strength.

5 days cardio (30-60 minutes)
1 day 20-minute intense ab workout for flat belly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9MZxVpP3XA&t=1115s&index=9&list=PLP0cBQVwhqTNb5DiCRoNKFP840iVREG8W
Strength routine (3 times a week)
o Bodyweight glute bridge (3 set, 15 reps)
o Side-lying abduction (1 set, 30 reps each side)
o Front plank (1 set, 60 seconds)
o Side plank from knees (30 seconds)
o Plank jacks (2 sets, 20 reps)
o Reverse crunch (3 sets, 20 reps)
o Cross crunches (20 reps)
o Bicycle crunches (20 reps)
o Crunches with alternate leg extensions (20 reps)
o Plank twists (20 reps)
o Walking lunges (20 reps)
o One arm dumbbell row (3 sets, 10 reps)
o Dumbbell/machine bench press (3 sets, 10 reps)
o Dumbbell Romanian deadlift (3 sets, 10 reps)
o Squats with dumbbells (3 sets, 10 reps)
o Dumbbell row (3 sets, 10 reps)
o Squat row with dumbbells (3 sets, 10 reps)
o Pendulum lunge with dumbbells (3 sets, 10 reps)

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    that looks like a fine beginner routine to get you into the groove. During the 4 weeks you are doing this, be researching the next level fitness routine you want to do and what you want your fitness goals to be. I wouldn't do that routine for much more than a month. its basically just a warm up routine to get your body moving and muscles starting to activate
  • Sam29a
    Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
    Thanks for your input, much appreciated. I will definitely change things up once I've got the basics down. Do you think there is anything I can add or change to improve the routine?
  • R1rainbows
    R1rainbows Posts: 129 Member
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    that looks like a fine beginner routine to get you into the groove. During the 4 weeks you are doing this, be researching the next level fitness routine you want to do and what you want your fitness goals to be. I wouldn't do that routine for much more than a month. its basically just a warm up routine to get your body moving and muscles starting to activate

Totally cosigning this one ☝️ but will also add that as you keep doing it, it will start feeling like it's not enough because you're getting stronger and more efficient..that's what happened to me anyways when I had a similar start up routine :)