New and Starting the process for the sleeve surgery

Options
Hi I am Jody, I am 40 years old and 328lbs. I am not at my heighest weight but I yoyo all around and am currently stuck where I am. I was once almost 400 lbs and went down to 298 and now I am back to 328. I have always been a bigger girl. I graduated high school at 250 lbs and can remember in jr. high wearing stretch jeans with elastic and being made fun of. I am married and have one son (whom is adopted, we couldn't have kids due to polycystic ovarian syndrome).

It has been suggested by almost all my doctors for a couple of years I look into weight loss surgery, I have ignored them because I figured I could do it on my own. Well I have come to the determination I can't. I still am very early on in the process. I have a lot of factors that make this very tricky. I have several autoimmune deficiencies and have seizures and a traumatic brain injury. I also suffer from vitamin deficiancies, and hate to eat. Yep I hate to eat. very rarely do I feel hungry. So I have put my body in a starvation mode. So not only are we trying to get it out of starvation mode, but i am trying to diet and start a slow exercise program because of my issues. I have to meet yet with the dietitian and the Physical fitness experts, along with have a endoscopy done, get heart clearance, nuerological clearance and primary doctor clearance. My husband doesn't want me to get the surgery however will stand behind me 100 %.
So i came here to get some experiences on the sleeve surgery.
thanks

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    There are two groups here that can help.
    One of surgery members - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/637-gastric-bypass-vsg-lapband
    Another group trying to lose without surgery - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3322-100-pounds-with-no-surgery
    This place can be very supportive.
    One these regular boards people are generally against it since many work very hard to do it on their own.
  • rll22
    rll22 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Tjjody I have just started this process also. I have for years said I'll do it on my own but here I am almost 41, 360lbs (not my highest but close enough), and need to loose the weight. Best of luck in your journey!!
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Tjjody, I wish you best of luck with your weight loss. I do want to challenge your idea that you are in starvation mode - that doesn't really exist, and one doesn't get to being overweight by not eating.

I would highly recommend you use MFP to start logging exactly how much you are eating and drinking on a daily basis, so you have a solid baseline to work from. You are either eating more than you think and/or your idea of "not eating much" needs recalibrating. I'm speaking from personal experience here, I thought I wasn't eating much but I was. It would be useful to learn what your total calorie intake and expenditure is at your current weight, and what it will be at your goal weight, and use this knowledge to get to your goal.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Hi, I thought about the sleeve many times when I feel hopeless. What I did was go to over 5 different seminars with different doctors, went to 5 support groups and asked questions and even had 2 consultations with doctors and made 2 dates to have the surgery done. I also looked on you tube and watched many people talk about the good and the bad and what they were eating. I decided not to have it done at this time. I keep on asking if after the surgery you will still have that "need" to eat. Also you can just google it and there are many sites that list exactly what you eat, what the surgery entails, all the different side effects (some people get them and some people do not). When I went to the two different consultations, each doctor said you need 3 appointments with the dietician and 1 appointment with a therapist. Probably not enough. If you definitely are doing this, I wish you the best. You really need to ask a lot of questions so you can be comfortable with the outcome. I had wanted to get a bigger sleeve and asked about that. The docs told me it is one size. Looking on line, I find that that is not true. They do not put the same size sleeve in a man who is 6'9" as a woman who is 5'1". I thought I would want a bigger sleeve so after I lost the weight I would be able to eat a bit more normal size portion of food. One doctor did admit it but didn't seem happy that I knew about the different sizes.
    Hugs
  • Lannie79
    Lannie79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    VSG is a good option for many people. Duckiegirl is right - myfitnesspal is a great space for tracking your food pre & post op. Bariatricpal is a better site for WLS specific discussions. Good luck.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had the bypass three years ago and it was a life changer. I hope there is a dietitian assigned to you before and after as logging and tracking your food is very important.

Best of success and health to you.
  • SeikoMonster
    SeikoMonster Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Something I have wondered about. Why surgery? Not being judgmental in the least, do what works for you, but I'm curious.

Ive done a big loss without the surgery even when offered the opportunity, its required lots of work, and effort. But you have to do that even with the surgery. Its not a magical cure that will let you still eat 4000 calories a day and loose weight.

Again, I wish you the best and really hope it works for you. Absolutely not judgmental in any way.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    tjjody wrote: »
    Hi I am Jody, I am 40 years old and 328lbs. I am not at my heighest weight but I yoyo all around and am currently stuck where I am. I was once almost 400 lbs and went down to 298 and now I am back to 328. I have always been a bigger girl. I graduated high school at 250 lbs and can remember in jr. high wearing stretch jeans with elastic and being made fun of. I am married and have one son (whom is adopted, we couldn't have kids due to polycystic ovarian syndrome).

It has been suggested by almost all my doctors for a couple of years I look into weight loss surgery, I have ignored them because I figured I could do it on my own. Well I have come to the determination I can't. I still am very early on in the process. I have a lot of factors that make this very tricky. I have several autoimmune deficiencies and have seizures and a traumatic brain injury. I also suffer from vitamin deficiancies, and hate to eat. Yep I hate to eat. very rarely do I feel hungry. So I have put my body in a starvation mode. So not only are we trying to get it out of starvation mode, but i am trying to diet and start a slow exercise program because of my issues. I have to meet yet with the dietitian and the Physical fitness experts, along with have a endoscopy done, get heart clearance, nuerological clearance and primary doctor clearance. My husband doesn't want me to get the surgery however will stand behind me 100 %.
    So i came here to get some experiences on the sleeve surgery.
    thanks

Hi Jody - welcome!

I'm curious about who is part of the "we" who are trying to get your body out of starvation mode?

Show them this article and ask them what, if anything, they disagree with: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/