TREADMILL......

Options
DOES ANYONE DO A FAST WALK ON AN INCLINE?

I WANT TO KNOW:

A) THE BENEFITS OF IT

B) IT ALWAYS SEEMS TO BURN ALOT OF CALORIES,,,,IS IT OK TO GO BY THE NUMBERS OR ARE THE MACHINES GIVING FALSE NUMBERS,,,,,,I JUST DID AN INCLINE 15.0 AT SPEED 6.0 FOR AN HOUR....IT SAID 1000CALS,,,,,SEEMS HIGH

THE MACHINES ARE THE LIFE FITNESS 95I OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT....

ANY IDEAS

Replies

• dlangenfeld
    dlangenfeld Posts: 119
    Options
    That's probably close. I burn almost as much doing a fast walk on an incline as I do jogging, per my heart rate monitor. It's a great work out!!
  • 3kidsin3years
    3kidsin3years Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    At a 10% incline, 3.5 miles/hour, for 30 minutes, my hrm says I burn mid 400's.
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    there was a link not that long ago to an article that was reporting that you actually burned more at a fast walk than you do at a jog, its not as natural body has to work harder kind of thing. I walk at a 15 incline but not as fast as you and it is by far the best calorie burn i have. After i walk i jog my miles without an incline and i always end up burning more on the walk and incline.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I always do a fast walk/jog intervals at highest incline and my burns are way higher than low incline. I have found my HRM is usually only about 50 cals lower than the machine so I don't think the machines are to far off as long as you're entering the correct info. It engages your core and works your glutes harder, definately keep doing it!
  • huizenm
    huizenm Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Is 6.0 a fast walk for you!? Dang, that's my jog! And I didn't know the inclines went all the way to 15!

Walking on an incline targets different muscle groups that just walking a flat - and it's harder, thus burns more calories. I like to vary between different inclines.

I ran on the treadmill yesterday for 30 minutes (speeds between 6.0 & 7.0) and small inclinces and I burned 395 calories. I would bet that's accurate.
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I normally walk at a speed of 5.5 or 6.0 on an incline of 5%... you do burn as many calories doing this as if you were jogging. I burn just over 300 calories doing this for half an hour. It's a great way for me to exercise because I am really bad at jogging (hope to change that soon though!)
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    since when are 10 minute miles walking?
  • shelly650
    shelly650 Posts: 319
    Options
    Well I usually walk for 20 minutes at 6kph at incline 10! I usually burn about 220 calories for those 20 minutes! I also notice my calves are more toned from using the incline!!!
  • drogheda1
    drogheda1 Posts: 57
    Options
    (6.0) KILOMETERS MY FRIEND...NOT MILES
  • kgagnon7779
    kgagnon7779 Posts: 216
    Options
    That's insane - a 10 min mile at an incline of 15!? Seriously - I do hill sprints all the time on the treadmill and I can barely hold that pace at an 11 incline for 2 minutes straight. And you did it for an hour? Yes, I think 1,000 calories is probably very accurate.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options

ahhh! that makes much more sense! :)

As for your calorie burn, the machines are woefully inaccurate. If you want a good picture of your burns, I would suggest investing in a heart rate monitor.

Depending on the type of run I do on my treadmill, the calorie counts are really off of what my HRM says. I ran for 35 minutes yesterday - my HRM said 401 calories. Treadmill said under 300. I ran for 36 the day before - but with some hills and more speed, and my HRM was 461 and the treadmill was over 500.....
  • kgagnon7779
    Options

Oh - okay. That makes WAY more sense! Sheesh. I thought you were superman there for a minute.
  • drogheda1
    drogheda1 Posts: 57
    Options
    noooo was 3.7MPH (6KPH)
  • kgagnon7779
    Options
    noooo was 3.7MPH (6KPH)

That's still a great workout -
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I don't know the benefits really, but I do notice as far as Cals burned, the treadmil usually reads exactly double of what my heart rate monitor says
  • DallasEl
    DallasEl Posts: 54
    Options
    I include a 50 minute 3.6mph at 18% incline once a week. It's a nice little switch up on the cardio side. Makes me sweat like an animal.
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I do the incline for the burn but also it helps make my butt smaller. When I started walking for exercise outside I didn't see much of a change just a smaller frame, but once I started adding huge hills my butt (which I had been known for for years) went away. I just started an office job again so I'm needing more incline on my workouts :wink: I LOVE walking on the treadmill and I generally do a short warm up and then walk with a 5 incline for 10 min then lower to 2.5 for 5 min, then up to 5 for 15, down to 2.5 for 5, etc.