Site for fellow Type 2 Diabetics

Options
Hi Friends!

Came across this wonderful resource for Type 2 Diabetics sponsored by the American Diabetes Association. It's all free and has some GREAT information and benefits... you can get the info either by mail or by email. Check it out, has a lot of tips and resources.

www.diabetes.org/kraft

These are some of the benefits:

Kraft Foods is a proud sponsor of the American Diabetes Association Living With Type 2 Diabetes program. We're delighted to invite you to enroll for FREE!

The program includes:
• Monthly e-newsletters to help you live better
with diabetes

• Information and tools on topics like food,
physical activity and stress reduction

• Delicious and nutritious recipes for you and
your family

• Opportunities to find personal support online
and in your community

Replies

• DiabeticAlien
    DiabeticAlien Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    TY! As a fellow type 2 diabetic, this is good information to have and to know.
  • nburns325
    nburns325 Posts: 174
    Options
    TY! As a fellow type 2 diabetic, this is good information to have and to know.

You're welcome!! The more info, the better we can control our diabetes!!!

Here's another great one for recipes and resources:

www.kraftfoods.com/diabetes

Good Luck!!!
  • penny39
    penny39 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this information!
  • nburns325
    Options
    Thank you so much for this information!

You're welcome Penny! There are some great recipes on here too! I can't wait to try them!!!
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Nicole,
    I would love to join a thread dedicated to people with Type 2 Diabetes, but excuse me if I seem skeptical about a plan that is sponsored by a mass producer of processed food, a lot of which is not healthy for you. I assume the recipes are centered around selling Kraft products?

I have been successful controlling my diabetes by cutting out most processed foods and substituting them for fresh, organic farmer’s market fruits and veggies. I started this new lifestyle about 5 months ago and have recently been taken off of three of my high blood pressure meds, one high cholesterol meds and one of my diabetes meds. I am taking one of each now and my goal is to be med free by the end of the year.

If this will be a thread that will promote awareness and support between Type 2 diabetics, I’m in. If it turns out to be a promotion for commercial products, I’m out.

When I was with Weight Watchers, we had a diabetics forum where we posted our morning Fasting Blood Sugar readings. This morning, mine was 114.
  • nburns325
    Options
    Nicole,
    I would love to join a thread dedicated to people with Type 2 Diabetes, but excuse me if I seem skeptical about a plan that is sponsored by a mass producer of processed food, a lot of which is not healthy for you. I assume the recipes are centered around selling Kraft products?

I have been successful controlling my diabetes by cutting out most processed foods and substituting them for fresh, organic farmer’s market fruits and veggies. I started this new lifestyle about 5 months ago and have recently been taken off of three of my high blood pressure meds, one high cholesterol meds and one of my diabetes meds. I am taking one of each now and my goal is to be med free by the end of the year.

If this will be a thread that will promote awareness and support between Type 2 diabetics, I’m in. If it turns out to be a promotion for commercial products, I’m out.

When I was with Weight Watchers, we had a diabetics forum where we posted our morning Fasting Blood Sugar readings. This morning, mine was 114.

Thanks for your feedback. I understand what you're saying, but a program that's in conjunction with the American Diabetes Association can't be all that terrible. Perhaps the kraft site isn't the best, but I have to disagree on the American Diabetes Association program. I've looked around on the site and it provides a ton of great information - true healthy information. Their recipes are generic and diabetic friendly/supportive.

I wasn't trying to start a thread to advertise anything, I was simply trying to provide more resources for fellow diabetics.

My fasting blood sugar was 99 this morning.
  • CRody44
    Options
    I agree with you 100% on the ADA. This is where I get a lot of my info from, as well as Kaiser Hospital educational material.
  • CRody44
    Options
    FBS 102
  • foxsr295
    foxsr295 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My reading this morning was 115 and I am happy! I am watching my carbs and calories and have lost 20 lbs. My readings were very high when I started, and am surprised that by cutting down on carbs, my success rate has been this good. I don't play games at all. This is my life and Kraft is rarely a part of it.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!
  • CRody44
    Options
    foxsr295,

I discovered that pasta was causing my blood sugar to really spike, and was never under 130 in the morning. I finally had to give it up so I could get serious about controlling my diabetes. And I LOVE pasta, especially my wife’s lasagna!
  • CRody44
    Options
    FBS 124
  • CRody44
    Options
    FBS: 122
  • Lkszumla
    Lkszumla Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What if you had a large bowl of salad with minimal oil and vinegar dressing on it, I had the same issue with pasta along with pizza, the more veggies you can down with pizza and pasta for that matter, if I make angel hair pasta I will take a couple of tomatoes, dice them with a little olive oil and garlic, they have a great taste and help keep my blood sugar down, add broccoli, spinach anything really, I am still experimenting. Hope this helps.
  • iamrobyn
    iamrobyn Posts: 85
    Options
    Hello fellow diabetics...

I am new and am trying to get the baseline numbers for my food goals in terms of protein, carbs, fats, and sugar. I am 5'8 and weight 250. Where did you pull this from . Using the standard numbers makes me look like I'm doing a great job because I was under on calories, but over on carbs yesterday. Help would be appreciated. Thank you.
  • shelleyfi
    Options
    Hi, my hubby was just diagnosed with high blood sugar, we are waiting to hear back from the dr on diabetes. His fasting blood sugar was 7.8 or 140 (whatever measurement you use I guess). I don't understand what all this means and any advice on how to change what we eat around here would be greatly appreciated
  • CRody44
    Options
    iamrobyn,
    Go to MY HOME>SETTINGS>Update diet and fitness profile. Enter the info and when you go to FOOD, it should tell you at the bottom of the page.
  • foxsr295
    foxsr295 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    CRody44,

Pasta is really a problem. Unfortunately I absolutely love it!!!! I have used Sunlite potatoes instead. I put my heart smart spaghetti sauce over a baked potato. I love it like that also. I am really excited that I am losing weight AND my numbers are going down. My goal is to be off my meds by Christmas (or at least smaller dosages).