Talk some sense into me please

Options
me0231
me0231 Posts: 218 Member
I don't know what's going on with me. Three months ago I think I finally saw the light after years of yoyo-ing on restrictive diets and subsequent weight gain. No more fad diets or depriving myself of anything, just good old cico.

I've lost 19lbs in 3 months which I know is totally fine. Slow and steady and all that jazz, but I'm just kind of down about it all. I'm about a third of the way, I've lost 10% of my body weight and I still feel just as overweight. I know I'm not, I can see it in the way my clothes fit and on photos but I feel so heavy and uncomfortable still that I'm just so unhappy. Why can I not be proud of what I've accomplished so far? I know it's working and I know I'll get to my goal in time. I also know I've been overweight for so many years that a few more months shouldn't really matter and yet I'm just so blah.

Replies

• Mooma29
    Mooma29 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    honestly I don't know what would make you feel better, but I have lost 17lbs in about the same time as you, also about a 3rd of what id like to lose and also sometimes feel like it's not good enough or fast enough. Truth is it is flipping hard work and we have to take the small victories. Find things that weigh a lb in your house bags of flour packs of butter or whatever. Stack 19 of them on the kitchen side and just see how much less of you there is now. Visualising it might help you see just how well you're doing. And try your best not to let the "blah" win because I do know that if you give in to the " sod its" and stop trying you will really regret it. Keep going you'll get there, and if it takes another year so what ? Every ounce that goes makes a difference to how you feel and how you look xx
  • Donniedoit
    Donniedoit Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do understand the bla feeling, it has happened to me several times. What's more annoying for me is that I've been here before 7-6 years ago I lost 5 stone, but over time it's crept back on. I think I've been a dieter ever since, but in general my weights just gone up. This time I set myself a 19lb goal to lose which was about 1/12th of my body weight. I'm chipping away at it but it is hard to stay focused.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I had that same feeling a couple of months ago. I had lost quite a bit, people were complimenting me, none of my old clothes fit, and when I looked in the mirror all I could think was, "But I still look like a fat lady!"

There's not a thing in the world you can do but soldier on and trust the process. Morale has hills and valleys and you are in a valley right now. Just put one foot in front of the other a day at a time until you start to feel better about it.

One thing that helped keep me going was finding something new and fun to do as a workout. In my case it was Bollywood Zumba.

I'm pulling for you! Hang in there.
  • displaced1
    displaced1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's nothing to sneeze at. But it can also be frustrating to not be where you want to. Acknowledge that, and then immediately focus on what you've accomplished. Keep a 19 pound backpack and go for a walk or run. Celebrate your successes with small rewards for accomplishing something. Try on smaller clothes to see if they may fit. Shake things up so you don't get bored, new recipes, new routines, new exercises. Be thankful as not everyone can lose weight that quickly. You may find it slow going but others may have much less success.
  • hungrywombat
    hungrywombat Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    That's a great loss so far! Congratulations. Like other posters suggested, setting up some different goals could help. Maybe an exercise goal where you have the double benefit of improved health and fitness and possibly a boost for inch loss? Doing something like training to run a 5K or 10K can be incredibly empowering and spur you on even more. Trying on smaller clothes and old clothes (from when you were at your biggest) can also help you to see the awesome progress you're making. But most of all, stick with it. Be patient, be consistent, and you'll get to where you want to be eventually :)
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Even when I lost 50 lbs. I couldn't even tell. Have you bought new more fitting clothes and rid yourself of the roomier clothing? That might help.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the loss! If you read back your own post, you said no more fad diets or yo yo dieting, which is great. No more depriving yourself either, so you are really adapting to a much healthier and sustainable way of eating.
    With that, you can really eat like this, long term, right?
    But with that smart way of eating, you'll have to give up the idea that it's going to come off fast. It's going to come off though, and it is!
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Losing 19 pounds and 10% of your body weight in only 3 months isn't slow. It is doing fantastic. Whether you see it or not, you are doing great and that is a big positive improvement. Just keep on keeping on. I started at 328 pounds and the idea of losing that much weight just seemed so daunting. It seemed like I would never be able to get to a healthy weight. Finally, I made up my mind to do whatever it took. Reaching a healthy weight seemed SO far away but I figured I could either focus on doing what I needed to 1 day at a time or I could give up and make myself miserable and destroy my health so I stuck with it. I recently reached my goal of losing a total of 150 pounds and I feel great. My only regret is not doing something about my weight and health sooner. The time will pass regardless so you may as well keep moving forward and you will reach your goals before you know it.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    You have lost 19 lbs! Celebrate by taking a hike on a nice wooded trail. You will find without that extra weight you will enjoy! Or, go to the store and lift a 20 lb sack of potatoes. You are not carrying that around all the time anymore! You will get to your goal keep it up.