Iron

Options
MMFP68
MMFP68 Posts: 39 Member
I haven't been tracking for long, but I notice that I am consistently coming in quite low on my daily recommendation for iron. I track iron because I am anemic.

I can't absorb supplemental iron, so that kind of wrecks things for me, too.

So today, I found out that Honey Nut Cheerios contain a lot of iron, and because I still had lots of calories at my disposal, I added 2 cups for snacking. My mom recommended broccoli, but I'd have to eat a LOT of broccoli everyday to get very much iron.

Given all that, I was just wondering what some good foods are that can up my iron intake. (I don't like red meat very much) If anyone wants to check out my food diary, feel free. :glasses: And mucho gracias, too.

Replies

• Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I suffer from low iron too, here are a few things I found that have quite a bit of Iron in them and taste good too!

Raisins
    Grape Nuts (I try to eat a bowl every morning and it helps significantly)
    Tuna Fish
    Rice (White or brown)
    Spinach
    Peas
    Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans
    Artichokes
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm not anemic, but currently have low ferritin levels so I'm taking a supplement. But I also cook in cast iron and eat collards and beans as often as I can, and always have the yolks with my eggs. In addition, I think prunes. liver and turkey are also good sources of iron.
  • pumpkinmoccasin
    Options
    http://www.ironrichfood.org/

I'm anemic too and should keep better track of how much iron I eat... I have trouble absorbing iron supplements but the slow release iron tablets seem to help a bit when I start to feel dizzy
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    Wouldn't the iron in cheerios and "supplemental" iron be the same? What would be the natural source of iron in cheerios?

Lentils are a good source of veggie iron.
  • MMFP68
    Options
    Thanks everyone, for the lists and recommendations, and that ironrichfoods website.

About the iron in Cheerios...you know, I'm not sure whether those will work for me. I think what doesn't work is an iron tablet or vitamin with iron, and maybe since the iron is in the food it works? I could be wrong.

A doctor once told me heme sources were my best bet, but...ick.

I might try some of that slow FE stuff and see it maybe it helps me to at least feel better, but I have a feeling I won't be able to make use of that either.
  • MMFP68
    Options
    LOL, I guess I should have Googled it first, but for anyone besides me who might be wondering about the cereals and fortified grains, this link has a bit of insight: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/ida/ida_treatments.html

I had no idea tofu was a good dietary source of iron. I love tofu! :D
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Do you take any vitamin C supplements? C helps our bodies absorb iron so I wondered if it might be worth your while to take a C supplement along with the meal in which you'll get your largest "dose" of iron. I take a 1000 mg C and B-complex the same time as my ferrous gluconate.
  • MMFP68
    Options
    I actually have never taken vitamin C, but I'm going to get some tomorrow and give it a try. I'm a big fan of super B complex. Thank you. :D