Nutritional advise?

Options
katf92x
katf92x Posts: 10 Member
edited July 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Any PT's in Bury?? advise on exercise and nutrition wanted??

I've been advised to add a protein shake to my daily diet, is this advisable for low carb/low calorie diets? how will adding a shake help aid weight loss???

thanks in advance

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    A protein shake will help you reach your protein goal if you can't get enough through food. They still have calories, so won't aid your weight loss if including them puts you over your calorie goal
  • katf92x
    Options
    i aim to lose 1 stone i'm currently 9 stone, height 5ft 2. exercise 3/4 times a week, mainly cardio. been adding up all my macros and on low carb average at 100g per day. would you say 1200 cals is right?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    What did MFP give you as calorie goal? (Was it set to 2lb loss per week)

With a 1 stone goal (approx 14lbs), you may be better with a .5lb per week deficit - and will really need to nail your logging/measuring
  • katf92x
    Options
    yes it was set to 2lbs per week. i'm on day 4 of my week stood on the scale this morning and i've not lost a fraction. i don't know if i'm being too harsh on myself
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    People who have a good understanding of nutrition don't actually advise the use of protein shakes.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    2lbs week for a 14lb goal loss is too aggressive - it would require a 1000cal deficit which is likely below 1200calories but MFP won't recommend lower than that
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    People who have a good understanding of nutrition don't actually advise the use of protein shakes.

They have a place, though in general it's unlikely that a recreational general exerciser will get significant value.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options

Why not?
  • Warvinj
    Warvinj Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are a quick/cheap alternative for meeting daily macros so why not.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Nonsense. Alan Aragon, Lyle McDonald, Brad Schoenfeld and many others who are experts in the field of fitness nutrition all recommend the use of protein shake supplementation to meet protein goals. I guessing based on their collective backgrounds and education, they have a good understanding of nutrition.

OP the bigger issue here is your expectations and approach. If you did see the scale move after 4 days it would only be water weight. As others mentioned, if you are within 15 lbs of goal, 2 lbs per week is waaay to aggressive.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There is nothing magical about a protein shake and it seems random to recommend one outside the context of the whole diet.

One can go higher in protein and stay low cal.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

OP the bigger issue here is your expectations and approach. If you did see the scale move after 4 days it would only be water weight. As others mentioned, if you are within 15 lbs of goal, 2 lbs per week is waaay to aggressive.

This is terrible advice....

I'm not sure why everyone is convinced that losing 2lbs a week when you're 15-20lbs from your goals is too fast?

Firstly, there goal could still put them at a high body fat percentage. Their expectations and goals have no impact on how quickly they can get there.

When you get closer to your essential fat, yes you must lower your deficit in order to maintain muscle mass, but you can still lose at 1lb a week no problem if your a guy at 8% body fat and over 150 pounds or a woman who is 17% at 130.

People have 15-20 pounds to lose to get to "their goal" and people start recommending 0.5 a pound per week? That's 30-40 weeks in a calorie deficit, that's ridiculous when they could be at 30% body fat and just trying to get into a normal range where they could easily continue to lose 1.5-2lbs per week.

Everyone just regurgitates something they hear that they think sounds good.
  • katf92x
    Options

I'm not sure why everyone is convinced that losing 2lbs a week when you're 15-20lbs from your goals is too fast?

Firstly, there goal could still put them at a high body fat percentage. Their expectations and goals have no impact on how quickly they can get there.

When you get closer to your essential fat, yes you must lower your deficit in order to maintain muscle mass, but you can still lose at 1lb a week no problem if your a guy at 8% body fat and over 150 pounds or a woman who is 17% at 130.

People have 15-20 pounds to lose to get to "their goal" and people start recommending 0.5 a pound per week? That's 30-40 weeks in a calorie deficit, that's ridiculous when they could be at 30% body fat and just trying to get into a normal range where they could easily continue to lose 1.5-2lbs per week.

• mmapags
    Options
    You are welcome to your opinion. I'll stick with mine thanks.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    OP- a protein shake will simply allow you to hit your protein goal IF you're not getting enough protein from your daily foods (for example, if you're calories are very low/you're vegetarian/etc.).

There is nothing magical about them or special about them other than the fact that they are low in calories and high in protein. They are still a food. Imagine you sit down and eat a chicken breast... they are kind of the same thing.
  • mmapags
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

let me get this straight....

OP is 5'2 and 126 pounds.
    Her maintainance calories are between 1,575 (lightly active) to 1,927 (active)
    So what you're saying is... you don't understand why people are telling her not to eat between 500 and 900 calories? is that what you're getting at? cause i can't possible understand how you wouldn't think that's an issue. :/

+1
  • katf92x
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I eat 1200 calories a day. Thanks for the advise.
  • katf92x
    Options
    Thanks Hun.