Slim Fast

Options
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried Slim Fast? Does it actually work? I got the Slim Fast powder to make shakes and I don't want to keep taking it if it won't help with losing weight! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• fitness_superstar
    Options
    bump
  • AnotherMichelle
    AnotherMichelle Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I havent tried it but im sure its like anything, If you use it right im sure it will help. Drinking 3 times the amount youre supposed to... Probably not.
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I did it for 4 months and lost 20 pounds. I did the 3-2-1 plan. I had a shake and a light yogurt for breakfast, a meal bar and 100 cals. worth of pretzels for lunch, 3 100 cal snacks, and a 500 cal dinner.
  • hiimshadoe
    hiimshadoe Posts: 122
    Options
    it iis a meal replacer remember.so you cant drink this with a meal.drink this instead.maybe lunchtime.and there probably roughly 200 id say so thats 200 calories for your logging.so as long as your logging and staying within your calorie goals of course it will work
  • Montco_cancel
    Montco_cancel Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Definitely will work. But the question is, can you maintain that style of eating for a long period of time? I imagine boredom comes into play and it would be hard to drink your calories every single day.

But if you stuck to the plan it certainly would work. But for 190 calories (slim-fast can) I'd rather eat an English muffin with some light butter.
  • crystalmichelle82
    Options
    my friend Pam did the slim fast and it doesnt work. she didnt lose anything. she now drinks shakeology & is losing inches and weight. good luck!
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Definitely will work. But the question is, can you maintain that style of eating for a long period of time? I imagine boredom comes into play and it would be hard to drink your calories every single day.

But if you stuck to the plan it certainly would work. But for 190 calories (slim-fast can) I'd rather eat an English muffin with some light butter.
    I'm with you. For 190 calories, you can have a huge "light" egg omelette (1 part egg, 2 parts egg white, plus a ton of veggies) with a small piece of toast. I can't imagine drinking my meals.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Anytime you have a meal replacement like a slim fast shake etc. you are going to lose weight.

The question is, are you planning on drinking slim fast the rest of your life? Probably not.

Learn new healthy eating habits and you will be healthier and happier with long term results.

Good luck.
  • blcotton
    blcotton Posts: 43
    Options
    I have tried slimfast and I can say that it will help if you actually include a regular exercise routine with it...and like someone else said it is a meal replacer so you shouldn't eat it with meals because that defeats the whole purpose. I have never done the 3-2-1 plan they recommend but instead just replace one of my meals with it every now and then:) in fact I had one for breakfast this morning. I have never tried the powder, I usually just buy it in the cans. My favorite flavors are the milk chocolate and strawberry, vanilla and cappicuno are okay but its all in what you like. In fact I had one this morning for my breakfast.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I used slim fast as a breakfast replacement for a while. Then I realized that the only thing it does to help you lose weight is reduce the amount of calories you consume while simultaneously reducing the amount of $ in your wallet. I can do that by myself for free. Most of my weight loss (I've lost 43 lbs) has been done without it or any "quick fixes". Mush easier and more sustainable over long periods of time.
    Besides, that stuff tastes like sh^t and does NOT fill you up.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    it works because you are limiting your calories, just like MFP sets up for you... same as the special k diet. you follow the directions & your caloric intake will be limited & you will lose weight. i personally liked the taste of the cans & ended up using them as meal replacements (mostly breakfast) in college, instead of following the full diet, but i have a friend who lost 60lbs doing the slim fast diet & kept it off. since then, she has learned better eating habits & uses spark people to track her days & keep losing, just slower & as a lifestyle change instead of just a diet. ♥
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I used to use it for breakfast... now I use V8 instead :3
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have a slim fast (can) for breakfast,it fills me up. Sometimes I have a slim fast and a salad for lunch,and a normal dinner.It works for me.
  • Just_Bethy
    Just_Bethy Posts: 272
    Options
    I use it as a breakfast replacement..I can not eat in the mornings..but I know I need to have something to get my self going...Slimfast is a great way to do that for me...I only use it once a day..and I look for deals like 2 for $10.
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I do not drink them on a regular basis because I do not feel very satisfied all the time if I am only drinking my calories but for something quick, I love them. I am a full time student and sometimes one of those is all I have time for in the morning after I get my kiddos off to school before I leave. We alos spend a LOT of time in the hospital with our youngest and given the choice between cafeteria food and a can of Slim Fast, I often go for the Slim Fast. Good luck with your weight loss journey :)
  • VRoseDuda
    VRoseDuda Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I get the Adkins shakes (160 calories and 1 gram of sugar) foe after the gym because I go at 5:30 so 7 am is too early for me to eat a full meal but I am starving. I have that and then something else around 10. They are 15 grams of protein which is more than the Slimfasts. I have noticed a huge change by cutting sugar (not carbs) down to about 30 grams per day.
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    Most experts say don't drink your calories. Slimfast has a ton of sugar so be wary of that.

Whatever path you decide to take remember this is a healthy lifestyle. If you can't live with it for the rest of your life - it's probably not the best choice.
  • keeks8281
    keeks8281 Posts: 53
    Options
    I've tried Slim Fast in the past and the shake never filled me up at mealtime. Also, there is quite a lot of sugar in each can. Just my thoughts.
  • Wifey04
    Wifey04 Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice!! I think I'll go with an english muffin and fruit for breakfast!! Or something else!! I don't think I can drink my breakfast for the rest of my life! Maybe I'll have one every once in a while, like when I'm in a hurry and don't have time to make something! Thanks again everyone for the advice! I greatly appreciate it!