Low calorie recipe ideas

Options
misslylee1233
misslylee1233 Posts: 1 Member
I'm often stuck for ideas on what to cook to make eating healthy more interesting.

What foods do you cook that are healthy and low in calories? I love fish, chicken, turkey so anything that goes with these.

Recipe or pictures would be great

Replies

• yoni1227
    yoni1227 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Chicken
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    If you have Overdrive app and a working library card, you can download some really good lowcal recipe books from your local library.
    Plus other digital and audio books, 'cause it's like a library app and all.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Think of something you want to eat, then go to the search engine and type in "easy low cal ______" where _____ is the thing you'd like to eat. Otherwise the question is too broad to answer. Anything is low calorie if you portion it out.
  • 1Wildthang
    1Wildthang Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    Smoothies with berries, pb and 1% milk.
  • shini26
    shini26 Posts: 6 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    This is a big problem for me too, it's hard to be creative when I'm trying to lose weight.

Here's two dishes I made recently with were filling and I was really happy with the results. Grilled sea bream with watercress soup, okras, tomato salsa, half cup white rice - 489 kcalqj24crc0lv4j.jpg

shrimp stew, with grilled asparagus and half a cup of white basmati rice - 430 kcal
    I cooked the shrimps in a tomato sauce, with ginger garlic and kaffir lime zests.
    xagh6p2hmq8c.jpg

I also eat a lot of chicken. I've tried different kind of marinades for grilled chicken:
    Cilantro + lime juice + garlic + olive oil
    Turmeric + sumac + cumin, paprika + ras el habout + ginger + garlic (shawarma marinade)
    Dijon mustard + honey + garlic + lime juice
    Soy sauce + rice wine + garlic + sesame oil
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Most spices and herbs add few, if any, calories to food. A lot of seasoning sauces, though seeming calorie-dense, are used in small amounts so add few. Flavoring veggies like onions, shallots, parsley, etc. add flavor but very few calories. Broth adds flavor at a relatively low calorie count. A 1/2 ounce of a good, freshly grated parmigiano reggiano or other strong cheese adds a lot of flavor at 55 calories. A tablespoon of heavy cream or butter can turn a whole dish decadent for 100 calories.

I keep a supply of what I think of as "umami bombs" to add depth to dishes for a few calories. Among others, I have worcestershire sauce, A1, several mustards, miso paste, nam pla (Asian fish sauce), tamari soy sauce, etc. Also, at any one time, the shelves have several vinegar types including balsamic, cider, white wine, red wine, rice wine, etc.

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Www.skinnytaste.com
    Www.slenderkitchen.com
    Www.cookinglight.com
    Www.eatingwell.com
    Www.theskinnyfork.com