Deviled eggs

Options
mjtaylor87
mjtaylor87 Posts: 242 Member
I usually make a bunch of hard boiled eggs for me and my husband to have for lunches through the week. I want to make deviled eggs to take but how do I keep the filling from getting crusty and dried out in the fridge through the week

Replies

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    A spritz of lime juice or vinegar in the filling might help marginally, otherwise use air tight containers. It is the air that is making them crusty. Alternatively keep the filling separate and just scoop it in the day of.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Mayo + eggs....for a whole week? I wouldn't do it. Many google sources says: egg salad 3-4 days.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Mayo + eggs....for a whole week? I wouldn't do it. Many google sources says: egg salad 3-4 days.

3-4 days is fridge shelf life of all perishable foods. Things are still edible after that point but start getting slimey, lose texture, and higher risk of food poisoning. If things are sealed air tight in an appropriate size container they can last longer. It is air that primarily ages food.
  • bettycooker
    bettycooker Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I agree, just keep the filling separate until you pack your lunch!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I make my hard boiled eggs ahead of time, but make two deviled eggs at a time to eat.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Put them on top of one another and wrap the "eggs" in saran wrap so they are like little packages. Put all of them in a zip lock. Also, if you add some vinegar to your egg yolks (along with the mayo) they will keep the whole week this way. Just make sure that you put them in the coldest part of your fridge - on the "down low" way in the back.