I hate protein powder

Options
I haven't been able to find a protein powder that I can stomach.

I have tried unflavored, vanilla, chocolate. . . usually whey and in several different brands.

the arbonne essentials chocolate ready-to-drink shakes are the only protein shakes i can handle, but they are expensive.

anyone else have this problem? I literally gag. . . but i know that i need them in order to get all my nutrition in.

Replies

• ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Me either. It is DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!

I just drink chocolate milk!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I don't like them just with milk or water, but I like to add them to smoothies. Through in some frozen fruit and milk or water and you can only taste the vanilla (or chocolate) but no grittiness or unpleasant taste that may turn you off.
  • crystalmichelle82
    Options
    i hear ya! That's why i drink shakeology.
  • boyflowerbird
    Options
    so is shakeology better?

i have tried all kinds of combos of fruit, juice, milk, almond milk, etc. i just cannot make a shake i can drink and even remotely enjoy.

i would love to hear what shakeology tastes like, texture, etc.
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I really quite enjoy my vanilla whey protein.
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I do not drink them often, but Special K protein shakes are not too bad - especially the chocolate.
  • ChristinaRamos
    Options
    So do I!!!!!!! UNTIL... I tried vi shape nutritonal shake mix!! With some cocoa powder and ice, the thing tastes like a FROSTY!!!!! I know, crazy right?
    2 scoops has 90 calories, 1 fat, 1 sugar, 75mg sodium, 12 protein :)
  • pyroxian
    pyroxian Posts: 99
    Options
    Unless you're trying to get very high protein levels without eating meat, you should be able to get to your macro levels without protein powder. Lean chicken breast or tuna or salmon are great sources of lean protein.

I know you didn't ask for non-powder options, so here's my thought on whey and other powders: I've had some BAD whey protein powders, but there are some that taste much better than others. Syntrax Nectar blends essentially completely, comes in a startling array of flavors, and has none of that doughy taste that can be so off-putting. It's not inexpensive though. For lower priced but still very tasty, I like Optimum Nutrition Natural Vanilla. Jay Robb is also good but more expensive. Jay Robb and ON Natural both are very tasty and have no artificial sweeteners (if that matters to you - it does to me). I also think EAS 100% whey is tolerable, but not great, though it does have aspartame.

My local health food store carries single-serve packs of all the Jay Robb flavors, so you could try a wide range without having to buy whole bottles/bags/tubs of them, and the health-food section of the local grocery stores here (Hy Vee) carry single serve packages of all of the Syntrax Nectar flavors as well as Teraswhey, another all-natural, very tasty option. I would suggest shopping around for single-serve packages and trying as many as you can until you find one that works for you, if you just HAVE to use whey/protein powder.
  • pyroxian
    pyroxian Posts: 99
    Options
    so is shakeology better?

i have tried all kinds of combos of fruit, juice, milk, almond milk, etc. i just cannot make a shake i can drink and even remotely enjoy.

i would love to hear what shakeology tastes like, texture, etc.

I tried a sample of chocolate shakeology and it made me literally gag. It was thick, slimy and had a funky bitter aftertaste to me.
  • mbeach1977
    mbeach1977 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I can't drink them either!! So I make protein bars instead. Pumpkin is this week's flavor, tastes just like pumpkin bread. It's the only way I can get the protein in.
  • shantie10
    shantie10 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have tried alot of different ones also..including shakology..ewwww
    The best one I like is
    Herbalife and I make it into a smoothie by adding frozen fruit and ice cubes and mix it in a blender.YUMMMY
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Try protein bars. Pure protein bars are pretty good.
  • boyflowerbird
    Options
    I want the convenience of protein shakes after a workout, because I often feel kind of turned off of food after a hard workout, but i know i need to eat.

i also get sick of eggs, sick to death of chicken, and just really want the convenience of the shakes after i workout.

i will keep trying. thanks for the opinion on shakeology. i have a strong gag reflex when it comes to this stuff for some reason.

for now the arbonne ones will work i suppose. they are all-natural and i can get them down somewhat easily now :) however, the vanilla arbonne ones taste like cake batter - WAY too sweet.
  • kochany
    kochany Posts: 32
    Options
    MUSCLEMILK is the way to go. I have tried many protein shakes and used musclemilk for the longest time.
  • anastasiawildflower
    anastasiawildflower Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Vega brand is wonderful. They even make a wonderful variety and their smoothie mixes are wonderful!
  • sloanie1
    sloanie1 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    BSN Whipped Vanilla!!!! the best one I've tried that tastes great only with water...:o)
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    The only one that I found is the Jay Robbs brand... specifically Orange Dreamsicle. It tastes like an orange creamsicle milkshake... I feel like I am cheating lol.
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I drink Jay Robb Vanilla. I love it! It doesnt have any nasty after taste or grainy taste. Yum!! Worth the extra couple of bucks!
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    MUSCLEMILK is the way to go. I have tried many protein shakes and used musclemilk for the longest time.

Me too. Love the taste. It's especially good when blended with ice and frozen blueberries...
  • destiny150
    destiny150 Posts: 48
    Options
    Try using crystal light with fruit in your smoothie with protein powder. Yummy