Shin Splints

Options
I would love to go on runs every day, but when I do I get awful shin splints, which is unbearable. Has anyone else ever had them? What do you do for shin splints? What do you do instead of going for a run? I usually like to run on the elliptical, but my school gym hasn't been unlocked when I go to workout, so I haven't been able to run.

Replies

• allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Increase your time and distance more slowly (C25K or similar, no more than 3 times a week), shorten your stride, and slow way down.

Gives your ligaments, joints, and bones time to get used to running.
  • Tabbycat00
    Tabbycat00 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I ended up going to my doctor who gave me an orthotic for my (right only) shoe. It helped a lot.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    How long have you been running? When was the last time you replaced your shoes? Have you been properly fitted? Ice the sore area, take Ibuprofen. Warm up with some heel walks and toe raises.
  • kpkitten
    kpkitten Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I get shin splints if I run after a break from running, sometimes when I wear new shoes the first couple of times and previously when I was heavier I got them all the time.
    If you're new to running, aiming for every day is way too much. Go for 3 days a week, doing running and walking intervals if necessary, until your body is used to it and can tolerate adding more days in.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I would love to go on runs every day, but when I do I get awful shin splints, which is unbearable. Has anyone else ever had them? What do you do for shin splints? What do you do instead of going for a run? I usually like to run on the elliptical, but my school gym hasn't been unlocked when I go to workout, so I haven't been able to run.

Start by running 3 x a week, and slowly up your distance by adding days.

Make sure you have decent shoes and stretch afterwards
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

When you say you run on the elliptical, do you mean you use the elliptical in as an alternative to running, of you use an elliptical?

If you get shin splints on the elliptical that's more of an issue than shin splints from running.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

You're still at school? If you're under 18, you should be on sparkpeople.com

You should also talk to your parents, a doctor, a school counsellor, and/or if you're at university, your school MD.
  • ManBehindTheMask
    ManBehindTheMask Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Make sure to stretch your calves properly, could be shin pumps
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

When you say you run on the elliptical, do you mean you use the elliptical in as an alternative to running, of you use an elliptical?

If you get shin splints on the elliptical that's more of an issue than shin splints from running.

This was going to be question. It's very concerning if you're getting them doing what is a no impact exercise.
  • strongenoughtofly
    strongenoughtofly Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I used to get shin splints a lot in the beginning of soccer season because I would go from not running a lot to running like crazy.
    Here's a couple things I do to get rid of them and prevent them
    1) Stretch out your calves before you run
    2) Increase your mileage slowly (10% per week is a good baseline)
    3) If you do get them, ice your shins a couple times a day.
    4) Get your shoes properly fit because poorly fit shoes definitely cause shin splints
    5) Compression socks can be great too. I don't wear them when I run but afterwards and it seems to help prevent and get rid of them
    I hope that helped!
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    I missed the part about the elliptical...what is running on elliptical anyway? I have no idea why you would get shin splints on the elliptical since it is no impact, unless you are just flexing that muscle for some reason.
  • LyssaRonnell
    LyssaRonnell Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry guys, I worded that odd. I go to college and am 22 years old. I get shin splints when I go on runs, so I use the elliptical as an alternative because it doesn't give me thin splints. I was wanting to seek out ways to prevent/help my shin splints so I can go on an actual run without being in pain.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    Well, then I stick with my original post...
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer terrible shin splints and out of desperation I tried barefoot running and I've been running almost 4 years pain-free. I realize it may not be for everyone but it works for me. You might want to look up "Chi running" and/or "the Pose method" to help you learn to run softly, with less impact. I believe that good form is the key to preventing most running injuries. Good luck and happy running!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry guys, I worded that odd. I go to college and am 22 years old. I get shin splints when I go on runs, so I use the elliptical as an alternative because it doesn't give me thin splints. I was wanting to seek out ways to prevent/help my shin splints so I can go on an actual run without being in pain.

There are a number of potential causes:

Shoes that are inappropriate for your gait, worn out our ill fitting

Muscular imbalance between the calf and the shin muscles.

Doing too much, too soon.

I'm not a big advocate of gait analysis, but it can have a place.

As far as the muscle imbalance aspect is concerned, work on strengthening your shin muscles. Lift a sandbag with your toes, or work against an elastic strap. I'd also suggest cycling with toes clipped in to the pedals.

• tnm7760
    tnm7760 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Google "sock doc shin splints." Watch his videos and up on what he says. I was dealing with shin splints and plantar fasciitis and nothing was working. I found his website and out of desperation decided to try it.

After a couple days of massaging trigger points a few times each day, my pain was GONE. I try to continually massage these areas on my legs to avoid it happening again, but if I start to feel any achiness or pain I just commit to a few massage sessions each day and it keeps the pain at bay.

It sort of sounds like wacko witch doctor stuff, especially considering that he suggests NOT doing the popular methods of ice, stretching or orthotics. But it worked for me. And it's free. So it won't hurt to try.
  • folgers86
    folgers86 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    One thing you can also try is to bump up the incline to .5 or 1%. Treadmills at 0% incline can mimic a slight downhill angle because the tread is moving and can cause your foot to "snap" downward as it makes contact. Or so I've been told. It feels better to me at least.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

I would love to go on runs every day, too. Unfortunately, my body doesn't like me very much when I try it. So I take a rest day every week. And this is after 2 years of building up my capabilities; three years ago running 5 days a week was scary aggressive for me.

So I "only" run 6 days a week while training for a marathon. Between marathon training sessions, I run 5 days a week, or maybe only 4 if my body tells me I need the time off. If I'm unlucky, that can shrink to running zero days because I didn't take enough days off.

Shin splints are one of the ways your body has of telling you to back off. There are things you can do to train so that they won't be as likely; I'm not terribly familiar with those things, because shin splints aren't on the list of various repetitive motion injuries I've had to deal with.

Free advice, worth what you paid for it: Don't run every day. There are people called "streak runners," who run every day; the ones who maintain long streaks don't run far, don't run hard, and are very active with techniques for injury prevention. Those of us who train for marathons take rest days.

If your shins bother you running but don't on the elliptical, use the elliptical. If the shin splints recur every time you try to run, it's time to seek professional medical help. A Physical Therapist can evaluate your running chain's strengths and weaknesses, tell you what issues you have that might contribute to shin splints, and give you exercises to work on your specific issues. This is important, because there are a gazillion exercises out there to work on various weaknesses. You can find any of these exercises on the internet, but you're wasting your time doing the exercises that are designed to help with issues you don't have. Finding out what issues you really have is the first step toward addressing them.
  • hzl22
    hzl22 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    The terrain u run on matters too... asphalt is softer than concrete... dirt/grass/sand will soften the impact.... and always stretch and warm up before running and prob after would be beneficial too
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Things that helped me with shin splints. YMMV but running is much more pleasurable for me now.

Get new shoes. Even if you don't think your current pair is worn out, you may be surprised when you put on a new pair. In addition, if you don't know what you need in a running shoe, you'd probably benefit from going to a dedicated running store and letting them walk you through a fitting (literally).

Stretch your calves. A lot. Before and after the run.

Limit your running to 2 times per week at first. Give yourself plenty of rest time and slowly add sessions when your body is ready.

Slow your pace and add speed in a thoughtful way (for example, only one session per week to work on your speed, run the rest of them at a comfortable pace).

Don't overstride - this happens quite a bit when new runners try to run too quickly before learning proper form. Getting rid of bad heel strikes really took a load off of my knees.