Pregnancy diet tips

Options
lasyservo666
lasyservo666 Posts: 1 Member
First time mom about 9w looking for a sensible diet plan. I am considered obese and high risk. Any help is welcome, thanks!

Replies

• mizabbanee
    mizabbanee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would suggest just eating the recommended daily calories. You're not really eating for two. Eat a 2000 calorie diet and drink lots of water. After baby is born it is ok to restrict calories.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor
  • ashliwatts1
    ashliwatts1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Exactly. You're not eating for two. Just stick to fruits veggies and protein but if you're hungry, eat! Just make it a good choice :) your doctor would have better resources and tips being that he knows your medical history and pregnancy better. Good luck and congrats! Hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy ❤️
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    mizabbanee wrote: »
    I would suggest just eating the recommended daily calories. You're not really eating for two. Eat a 2000 calorie diet and drink lots of water. After baby is born it is ok to restrict calories.

You don't even know if 2000 calories is appropriate for her.

OP, set your calories to maintenance and ask your doctor how much they feel you should gain throughout your pregnancy.
  • cgfrush
    cgfrush Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Diet and pregnancy don't usually go together. Especially setting a caloric intake. Talk with your doctor about a plan that's healthy for you and for baby. Also, congratulations!! How wonderful and exciting. I bet you'll have your first doctor's visit soon? Good luck, mama!
  • strength_n_song
    strength_n_song Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Your OB or midwife should be helping you monitor your nutrition during pregnancy and counseling you about the foods you should be eating and the foods you should be avoiding, as well as the amount you should be eating. If your provider does not make the time to discuss nutrition with you, shop around!
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I'm 99% sure your insurance will cover a few visits with a registered dietitian. Definitely take advantage of this.
  • JellybeansMomFl
    JellybeansMomFl Posts: 15 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm not sure if by diet you mean restrictive eating plan or if you simply mean diet as in what you eat. Consulting a doctor is always good, however they tend to tell you what would be an acceptable amount of weight to gain and just to eat healthy foods, which is common sense. I just had my baby and she is now 5 months old. I am also considered obese. I gained a total of 13 lb during my pregnancy. I ate a lot of fruits and vegetables, I drank green smoothies and I drank more than 8 glasses of water per day. I also went to the gym and exercised on a regular basis as well as walked through my neighborhood and did bike riding. I actually lost weight during my first seven months of pregnancy which the doctor was perfectly fine with because I was obese and because I had started eating healthier and continued exercising. I started gaining weight when I was seven months pregnant. I didn't eat soft cheeses, lunch meat or fish that were exposed to higher levels of Mercury. I also didn't drink alcohol. The reality is that you don't necessarily have to speak to a doctor to find out how to eat healthy. Honestly, you don't really need a doctor to tell you what to eat when you're pregnant.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    mizabbanee wrote: »

:huh: :noway:

you cant give OP a calorie goal when you have no idea of their stats or medical issues?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    First time mom about 9w looking for a sensible diet plan. I am considered obese and high risk. Any help is welcome, thanks!

ask your doctor