Stair master vs treadmil vs elliptical

Options
Which is better for cardio & why?

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    None is better. The best one is the one you will do consistently.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Yep, for me it's none and I'll get the cardio in pool or walking. It's all about finding something you like so it is not a chore to do.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Agreed. You'll get a great workout on whichever one you do.
    My husband loves the elliptical. He lost 75 pounds two years ago and has kept it off.
    I can't do it - makes me dizzy.
    I also can't run on a treadmill. Within 10 minutes I'll misstep and almost fly off the back lol
    I'm personally a fan of the stair master. When I go to the gym it's my cardio machine of choice.
    The stationary bike and row machine are also awesome for cardio.
    Mix them up and see which you like best and go for it.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I hate them all. Pick one you like the best.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    In the same amount of time you will probably burn more calories on the stairmaster, then the treadmill, and then the elliptical. However, most people can't do the stairs for as long as they can the other two, especially at first. It also can put a lot of stress on the knees. The elliptical puts the least stress on the body, so can be good if you are very overweight. TM is better preparation for being active outdoors - you can walk and learn to run on it and do that either indoors or out.

If you are just starting out, try doing 10 minutes on each, plus the bike and rowing machine. You'll develop different muscles on each and burn a lot of calories.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Just for clarity, I should have said none is better than the other. I don't advocate no cardio. I prefer walking myself and do it as my weight training warm up and cool down and more distance, 3 to 5 miles on no weight work days. Listening to NPR or good podcasts make it very pleasant. I personally hate indoor machine cardio but when the weather is bad, I'll choke down some elliptical.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    None. The one you do is best. I own a treadmill, so I use it most. At the gym sometimes is use an elliptical, sometimes a stair master, sometimes the rowing machine. As long as you get your butt on them and work out, they all work.
  • arcornell09
    arcornell09 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't get the true runner's high unless i'm out on the road. Obviously depending on your schedule and where you live this isn't a option for everyone. I prefer a treadmill in the winter months but a elliptical is a bit easier on the knees. Only you know your body best and do what works for you so try them all or switch around.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    @theron12

The ARC Trainer and the rowing machine are my preferred cardio equipment. Third is the recumbent bike because I don't like the upright bike or the elliptical. I switch around the ones that I prefer. I would suggest that you do the same and see what works for you.

I like the treadmill by my knees do not, and the stair master puts too much stress on my knees. I had a TKA seven months ago and my other knee is touch and go so I need to be careful and smart with all my exercises. I like to walk outside but is too darn hot in my area.
  • theron12
    theron12 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies & insight everyone!