Unhealthy relationship with food

Options
Hello fit friends!

I struggle with an unhealthy relationship with food. Many people I grew up around had eating disorders and I either don't eat for a day or two or eat enough to feel sick every hour of the day. I used to have a very positive relationship with food and wish I could get back to that, but I'm unsure how to start. I always just cave into cravings or periods of not eating. There's no in between.
I'm hoping some of you can share success stories, advice or just be resources for me to come to.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Know what you like. Plan to have what you like in reasonable portions. Have what you like on schedule.

• SnackHips
    SnackHips Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't have advice per se. I have an unhealthy relationship too. Something that I'm only truly understanding recently while planning weight loss surgery. One thing I learned in the process is people with food issues should avoid exercise until they get them worked out. One of my biggest struggles was that I exercised more than most people I knew but I couldn't stop gaining and losing the same 10lbs. There is this idea that if you are fat you are lazy and yet I was far from lazy and still fat. It didn't matter if I cut out the junk. I tried eating on schedule and consuming the right macros etc. But the issues were still there and exercising exasperated it. Just my thought on the matter.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I had an unhealthy relationship with food as well, that led to disordered eating. I was a skinny kid as a child who LOVED food, and never had to worry about calories. I can't pinpoint exactly when something clicked that made me worry about food and calories. I think it could be my grandmother's weight and health problems finally becoming real to me, and I felt that I had to control my food severely to prevent a future like that. This was around the age of 16. I was borderline orthrexic, meaning I was basically obsessed with only eating what society has deemed as 'healthy' and 'clean' eating. I was physically okay, underweight but still healthy. My mind however became slowly poisoned towards foods I loved. I was obsessed with the fat content of x, or the sodium of y, etc etc. It was new every week. Unfortunately now, I can never go back to my child-like state of looking at food. Every time I look at a food I see calories. If you're feeling at all like your relationship with food could get worse, or that you are frequently worried about food, I'd suggest talking to your doctor. Once I confided my concerns with my doctor, she told me I was undereating and provided me a ballpark of calories I should eat. After that, I used the fitbit app for awhile to track things. I was still obsessed with clean eating until college though. Finally, my roommate introduced me to MFP and my life has been infinitely better! I eat exactly what I want (including fruits and veggies) like pasta, ice cream, crackers, etc. It all fits my calories! MFP is very freeing for me. I credit it with saving me from myself. I don't know how much worse things could've gotten. I am no longer obsessed with so called 'righteous' food choices and my mental attitude towards food is way better.

Long story short, I understand how you feel. I suggest allowing yourself to have appropriate portions of your favorite foods whenever you want. If you restrict, then the overeating might creep in because 'oh no i may not be able to have x in forever i should eat a lot now' is a common mentality a lot of people have around their favorites. I felt this way sometimes. Theres nothing wrong with cravings, its just a matter of enjoying the appropriate amount, slowing down and savoring it to fully satisfy yourself.

Much love, I hope you find some helpful advice!
  • squishysnail
    squishysnail Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    No matter how I tried to change my unhealthy relationship with food, none of it stuck until I spent some time in therapy. I needed to work through the roots of it all, and having a non-judgemental, supportive professional to help me navigate that was was crucial. Best investment I've ever made!