Weight loss with bad back and can hardly exercise

Options
If anyone can recommend a good exercise program for bad backs (I've done the myrtle routine, but it's not exactly taxing).

I'm starting again after two bad years where food was my comfort.

I have never, ever managed to lose weight without intense exercise backing it up. I'm a very short female, so I always get that 1200 calorie goal to lose weight, but even maintaining I can't eat that much more it appears.

I want to strengthen my back as well as use exercise to help me lose.

I'm 185 lb and want to be c.130 lb. a lot of weight is going on my stomach and I know that's not doing my back any good at all.

I'm at a bit of a loss how to stray as I've really lost my way :-1:

Replies

• LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Can you walk outside, even slowly? I started off heavier than you (198 lbs @ 5'3) with chronic lower back pain, in addition to a range of other health problems. I started off walking a lap at my local park & built up slowly from there. While I had a few acute episodes of LBP when I first started to move from a walk to a jog, since losing all the excess weight, no more back pain. I hated eating only 1200 cals, hence moving lots more so I could eat more! Swimming is also perfect for back problems, if you have access to a pool. Best of luck!
  • Storm985
    Storm985 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have very little spare money (made redundant and doing temp/agency jobs while a find myself something permanent).

Yes, I can walk (in pain) and have been doing so, but was quite fit, so my activity levels are much lower.

Thank you for your story, it gives me hope. I hope (yet is shames me) that my back issues are caused by the weight gain and will improve as I lose.
  • dennisroc
    dennisroc Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Just curious . do you drink diet soda ?
  • Storm985
    Options
    Erm... yes, loads. No alcohol, so this is what I drink instead. Lots of diabetes in the family, so avoiding sugar in drinks.
  • Storm985
    Options
    Not caffeinated, though (not cola) and I drink decaf tea and coffee.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I have a long list of conditions with my back, I used to get spinals for nerve damage. Losing 60lbs has helped more than any drug could ever. Everyone's condition is different though, you will be best served consulting with a physical therapist. Low impact cardio and stretching has helped me the most. There are good YouTube Core strengthening for bad back exercises. Start off slow and build up. I started with just 2 mile walks, I now average 5-8 or 10miles on elliptical. I do that 6 days a week.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I strongly recommend physical therapy if you can manage it. They'll help you strengthen the muscles you need to support your back which will then lead to more exercise options.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Really the best person to recommend an exercise program for you would be a physical therapist familiar with the nature of your back issues.

I had lower back pain for decades. I'm a yoga teacher and have found yoga to be mostly helpful but sometimes hurtful as I am prone to overdoing things. Yoga should be safe and helpful if you stick to gentle yoga and listen to your body.

Walking is good, and free. (One should invest in good shoes, however.)

Swimming is good.

I also try to be less efficient - why make one trip up and down the stairs when I can make three or more? Take the stairs instead of the elevator, park further away from my destination and walk, etc.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    ps - since you're used to losing weight with exercise, and cannot earn a significant amount of exercise calories at this time, I suggest you set a moderate weight loss goal of a pound a week so as to not make yourself utterly miserable. This time next year you could be down 50 pounds. And the time will go by anyway.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    dennisroc wrote: »
    Just curious . do you drink diet soda ?

Please tell me you are not going to use this to take her down a false path. I drink tons of diet soda with no problems. NOTHING TO DO WITH HER PAIN.
  • brookekaczor
    brookekaczor Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    When I had my back go out I used a corset and walked with it on... it helped tremendously. I know it's not a popular idea but it helped me out..... definitely getting that weight off will be beneficial.
  • lichn
    lichn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Definitely consult a physiotherapist about the best way to move toward a workout routine that will work for you. They'll provide mild exercises that target your particular issues and build a stable foundation from which you can move into a higher intensity fitness routine whenever you're ready.

I started seeing a physiotherapist when I threw out my lower back a couple months ago and the gentle exercises she gave me have helped provide stability and strength to the area so that my muscles didn't have to keep spasming to control joint movement around the problem disc. Now I'm just beginning to move back into a modest fitness routine based on her advice and expertise.

One thing she pointed out that really changed my outlook is that when you're in pain you often want to be completely immobile, to rest and wait and avoid the pain as much as possible, but some safely limited movement will do more to help the pain in the medium to long term while total immobility will just prolong it. A qualified physiotherapist can walk you through this in a safe and effective manner!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Back injury is an occupational hazard so I've read up on it quite a bit. Walking is very good for you. You'll be in pain sitting or standing so might as well walk. It's free too.