Veggie sides for barbecue?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
Tired of raw veggies and dips and boring salads... We keep having people over and grilling and I'm just running out of easy ideas for sides. Suggestions?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Corn on the cob? Grilled Stuffed peppers? Grilled asparagus?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Loads of not boring salads. Grainy salads, grilled vegie salads, Mexican inspired salads, pasta salads, potato bake, wraps and stuffings to put your own together
  • zipitzippy
    zipitzippy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Make some skewers with halloumi, peppers, mushrooms and onion tossed in some italian herbs. They're delish!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Corn on the cob, sweet potato, yellow or red potato, asparagus, green beans...
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    mm, grilled stuffed peppers!

I saw a recipe for spinach/artichoke stuffed portabellos the other day that looks really good
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I should probably have specified that I really don't care for salads that use a lot of creamy dressing/mayo as well, lol.
  • flower761
    flower761 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    We had brussel sprouts, onions, asparagus, squash, and zucchini on the grill last night. Vegetables taste amazing on the grill.
  • mfp_allie
    mfp_allie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Don't forget cole slaw! Perhaps also a low fat potato salad!
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Squash and Zucchini are super easy on the grill...sliced lengthwise or as part of a veggie skewer with onions, peppers, mushrooms. I like to bake large pans of green beans in the oven, too.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Soak corn on the cob in a bucket of water for an hour or so. Throw it it on the grill- husk and all. Best. Corn. Ever.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Potato salad happens to be the DOTM (dish of the month) over at Chowhound. Lots of folks are sharing non-mayo potato salad recipes. Read the comments at https://www.chowhound.com/post/potato-salad-home-cooking-dish-month-july-2017-1059207
  • SABoj
    SABoj Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Pesto Cauliflower & Potato Salad
    Serves: 3-4

1⁄2 pound cauliflower (about ½ small or ¼ medium cauliflower)
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1⁄2 pound waxy yellow or white potatoes, unpeeled
    1 cup fresh or frozen green peas
    1⁄4 cup chopped toasted walnuts or toasted pine nuts

Basil Pesto Dressing
    11⁄2 cups lightly packed fresh basil leaves
    1 tablespoon white wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
    1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
    4 teaspoons olive oil
    3 cloves garlic, peeled
    1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
    1⁄2 teaspoon salt
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Remove the thick inner stem from the cauliflower, slice into thick 1-inch slabs.
    Preheat a cast-iron grill pan over high heat.
    Rub the cauliflower with olive oil and arrange the pieces in a single layer in the preheated pan.
    Grill the cauliflower until charred on the outside and crisp-tender inside, about 4 to 5 minutes, flipping halfway through. Transfer the cauliflower to a cutting board, chop into bite-size pieces, and place in a large mixing bowl.
    Peel and dice the potato into 1⁄2-inch pieces, transfer to a large saucepan, cover with 4 inches of cold water, and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and cook the potatoes for 6 to 8 minutes, or until almost tender.
    Stir in the peas and cook another minute. Reserve 1⁄4 cup of cooking water, then drain the potatoes and peas and rinse with cold water. Add these vegetables to the cauliflower.
    In a food processor, pulse together the pesto ingredients plus 2 tablespoons of the potato cooking water until smooth. Spoon onto the vegetables, add the nuts, and combine thoroughly.
    Cover and chill for 10 minutes to blend flavors. Serve the salad slightly chilled or at room temperature. Garnish each serving with a few nuts.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    How about cucumbers and onions? They are a summer staple at our house. Slice up cucumbers and onions and marinate in 1 C white vinegar, 2 C water and 1/4 C Splenda or sugar.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Here's a great and easy broccoli vinaigrette. Personally, I'd use red wine vinegar for the vinaigrette. You can use a sweetener in place of sugar, if you want.
    http://www.fortheloveofcooking.net/2013/05/italian-broccoli.html
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    eggplant (cut into planks, brush with olive oil) is great on the grill
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower cut into 'steaks' or kabobs with various peppers and mushrooms, and maybe tiny onions?
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    How about cucumbers and onions? They are a summer staple at our house. Slice up cucumbers and onions and marinate in 1 C white vinegar, 2 C water and 1/4 C Splenda or sugar.

I'm going to try making these! We usually marinate them in apple cider vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, and cayenne.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »

I'm going to try making these! We usually marinate them in apple cider vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, and cayenne.

Hope you enjoy them! I've already refilled the bowl twice this week. They also make a great, guilt-free snack!