Vegan help please!

Options
I'm an athletic built man who recently switched my diet to a vegan based life style due to health issues and concerns. Im happy to lose the 15lbs of excess body fat but I don't want to lose my muscle mass that I've spent years to get. I'm finding it difficult to reach my 200g of protein a day. Anyone with helpful advice or foods to look at I would sincerely appreciate the help.

Replies

• HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the simplest solution would be protein powder. Soya, pea or maybe hemp.

Why 200g though? What calculation are you following that gives you that target, and how close are you getting to it?

Otherwise, soya products (milk, tofu, soy yogurt), lentils, beans, adding spirulina powder to food, adding chia seeds (15g max a day, though) to food, eating frozen peas frequently and buying soya/linseed enriched bread.
  • MorticiaAdams66
    MorticiaAdams66 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Check out nomeatathlete.com. There is also a Facebook site of him. He has published recipe books. I have pre- ordered the new one and wait for the delivery as I want to give it to my son who puts an emphasis on the protein intake. Me not so much, I'm just running and eating what I like (vegan of course)
  • tlkavanagh
    tlkavanagh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The 200g is what I've always used to maintain my weight at 230lbs. I have been adding hemp seeds to a lot of meals in order to push my protein levels up.
  • tlkavanagh
    tlkavanagh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    And thank you very much
  • Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Google vegan bodybuilder--lots of info
  • VeganSarahAnne0619
    VeganSarahAnne0619 Posts: 13 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I get around a 100 as a vegan female with 10 pounds to my goal! Check out no cow bars! They are my goto post Workout Snack since I can't do quest bars anymore! Then I do shakeolgy, pb2, edamame, coconut yogurt, almonds, boca vegan burgers,spinach, broccoli! Hope that little list helps, good luck!
  • Stacydemeester
    Stacydemeester Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Tofu and tempeh are great sources of protein.
    Quinoa has a surprising amount of protein and is an easy swap for rice.
    Protein powders, etc.
    good luck!
  • Fitblkorchid
    Fitblkorchid Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Seiten is also a great source of protein. Tofu and tempeh as well.
  • P_yoga_runs
    P_yoga_runs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Check out nomeatathlete.com. There is also a Facebook site of him. He has published recipe books. I have pre- ordered the new one and wait for the delivery as I want to give it to my son who puts an emphasis on the protein intake. Me not so much, I'm just running and eating what I like (vegan of course)

I love this cookbook (and their podcast- I listen to it while running.) All whole-foods plant based and really tasty. That being said, they also address the notion that with the exception of some body builders, we don't actually need nearly as much protein as we're told.

• arminq
    arminq Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I recommend you to watch a YouTube channel called "Vegan Physique". He makes it look really easy to build muscle on a vegan diet.