Fitbit Worth it?

Options
2»

Replies

• kierasayshi
    kierasayshi Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight before without a Fitbit. I know I could motivate myself and lose weight again this time around without a Fitbit as well. However, it does motivate me a little more and it makes the weight loss journey a little more fun this time.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I have a charge hr I think. I like it. I think it just motivates me to move more in general which is a good thing. I also really like how I can sync it with mfp and it basically tells me exactly how much to eat based on my calories burned for the day. I think it's worth it personally. Although I've been keeping it off on the weekends lately because i don't like the tan line
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I got a used one for $20 in Feb. and it's working great. Vivosmart garmin is what I use.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I was lucky enough to borrow one for a month, Fitbit one, it drove me crazy.

I decided it wasn't for me.

Cheers, h.
  • DeeGardiner
    DeeGardiner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I went with the Apple Watch, more for the utility. If you desire more fitness driven reports, definitely go with the fitbit. Both are great tools to help inspire and monitor your goals!
  • cecekay19
    cecekay19 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have a Charge HR and I think it's nice, but perhaps overrated. It's useful for sleep monitoring and to some extent for running but I think I controlled my weight better just by going on MFP without the calorie adjustments from Fitbit.
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I find mine accurate and I really love it. I just got the HR charge 2, to me its been totally worth it.

I got mine about a month ago and I love it too!
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I have the Charge 2 and love it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have the Alta, it has been a great motivator for me, I really strive to hit my goal everyday.

• nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I walk a lot (but some days not much at all). My fitbit (currently Charge HR 2; had the "1" for 2 years before I slipped and broke it) helps me keep track not only on my steps but my estimated daily burn. This is especially important on those days when, for whatever reason, I am not as active as I usually am (because then following the MFP calorie limit would mean eating more than I burned) and I can adjust accordingly (either that day or another). I do sync my Fitbit to MFP but I need to hit more than 10k to get any excercise calories from just walking, so I don't have an issue with doing that.

And as an aside that's not related to weightloss - I work in a school and go to university, and as such need to keep my phone on silent/no vibration most of the day. My fitbit gives me notifications when someone calls (and on the 2 you can include text) which makes life so much easier.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I have 3 fitness trackers (about to add a 4th) and a Fitbit is not among them. I have a Garmin Vivofit, the UA Band, a Withings/Nokia Pulse Ox, and to be delivered soon..a Samsung GearFit 2. I have no reason to not own a Fitbit, I purchased a ChargeHR for my girlfriend at Xmas and she seems to like it.
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I love mine and have it synced with MFP. You have to personalize it and calibrate the steps so they actually match your natural gait and run patterns. Once I did that, it became insanely accurate. If you calibrate it correctly, it should give a fairly accurate calorie and step read for you. I do eat back a lot of my exercise calories and while I enjoy losing weight, I focus far more on my body composition. This is a great tool for that. I'm not trying to lose as much weight as I can in a short period of time though. My goals are a bit different and more long term than what a lot of people are doing. There are a lot of weeks when I eat close to maintenance and having the fitbit helps me to feel more comfortable that I am not going over when I try to get close. I continue to lose inches and pounds doing it this way and having the fitbit has made the process less stressful than it has been in the past and it has involved a lot less math on my part since the fitbit and mfp tracks all the numbers for me. It has simplified my life. Can't recommend it enough.

TBF I have not used a different type of tracker to compare it against. The concept of the product is solid though, especially for those of us with very specific fitness goals.
  • Locolady98
    Locolady98 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I had Charge HR, switched to Apple Watch, and am thinking about going back to Fitbit. Turns out that Apple activity tracking happens mostly via iPhone (step counter, etc), but I don't always carry my iPhone around. Sometimes I set it down or carry it in a bag, which means it's not tracking my activity at those times. So, now that I'm falling out of love with my Apple Watch, I say YES - Fitbit is totally worth it.

And... I've also found an app in the iTunes store that will sync Fitbit with Apple health kit. It has good reviews, so I think it must work.
  • SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I have the Blaze and think it's worth the money. A bunch of my MFP friends are on Fitbit, and the weekly challenges/social aspect alone is worth it to me in terms of helping me stay focused on fitness.

It does calorie tracking and pretty much everything that MFP does, and it also has a huge fitness social network community.

It's fun to try to win the different badges and trophies I think...like a video game that you play with your feet. It's also fun I think to calorie track various things...your different workouts.

Things I don't like about it:
    1) Not waterproof...you can't go swimming with it.
    2) It does work great for hitting a punching bag...other models of Fitbit might work better but with the Blaze when you hit the bag the pressure on the watch will probably "turn off" your workout.

Still great though imo...
  • rodneysturner
    rodneysturner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, if you use the fit-bit, it will help you and give you motivation to go the extra steps or the extra floor. I have a charge 2 and I use it daily.
  • Karen_DisneyFan
    Karen_DisneyFan Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Alta that I've been wearing since the end of January. I like that it buzzes to tell me to move during the day. I have a sedentary job and don't always think about getting up and moving around. So it's nice that I "have" to get up and move 250 steps once an hour, lol.
    I recently bought a Fitbit Alta HR but haven't activated it yet to see the difference. I imagine I will like having the HR function as well as the expanded sleep function - I'm a very restless sleeper so it will be nice to see if or when I actually get any REM sleep.